Join our zoo community

Parque de la Naturaleza de Cabarceno Parque de la naturaleza de Cabarceno

Discussion in 'Spain' started by kiang, 3 Apr 2010.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Another major player without a thread, covering 750 hectares, 20 kilometres from Santander in northern Spain this park has notably been at the heart of the EEP for African elephants for the last 15 years, currently holding 14 animals (3.11), in one of the largest enclosures in Europe, 13 calves have been born here.
    The park has also recently welcomed 2 lowland gorilla from Basel, Wima and her daughter Chelewa, this brings the group to 1.3 http://www.larioja.com/v/20100327/sociedad/cabarceno-acoge-nuevas-gorilas-20100327.html

The park also includes a reptile house, with many venomous snakes
    Other species at the park include
    Barbary macaque
    European brown bear
    European wolf
    jaguar
    white rhino
    Addax
    red lechwe
    gaur
    common and pygmy hippo
    impala
    giraffe

:: CABARCENO :: Parque de la Naturaleza de Cabárceno - Cantabria

Last edited: 3 Apr 2010
  2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

All these Gorilla moves, I can't keep up...:rolleyes: I think it may mean they now have 1.3 as these are both females(mum and daughter) and I believe Cabarceno only had 1.1. previously.

3. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You're right Pertinax,i n Cabarceno previously had 1.1 gorillas from Madrid zoo, and now 1.3 with the addition of 2 former Basel females.

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any news on the white rhino or African elephant groups to report (as per breeding et al)?

5. Pertinax

Thanks- I knew that Niky and Nadia came from Madrid and guessed they have added these new two females to promote breeding. Hopefully Niky(who is wildcaught with no offspring so far) will breed with the experienced Wima, and later with her daughter too. Probably the first female 'Nadia (30years) is too old to start breeding now.

6. Panthera Puss

Panthera Puss Well-Known Member

I noticed this place while watching the Vuelta a Espana (cycling Tour of Spain race) on TV today - the helicam picked up the Elephants. It looks absolutely vast, and certainly impressive. What sort of place is it - is it mostly commercial or is it also some sort of regional or national park area?

7. KEEPER

It´s like a safari park, with the typical driving tour, but with walking areas too. Definitely it´s not a National Park (elephants or zebras are representative from the native fauna of Spain?) :D

8. Panthera Puss

Panthera Puss Well-Known Member

True, I was just trying to get a feel of the ethos of the place, and the website is hard to understand for a non-spanish native. Some of the areas look quite natural and unspoilt.

Nasty crash for Anton in the Vuelta, btw?

9. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Looks like an interesting place, good to hear they are breeding African elephants and playing a big role in the EEP, would anybody know who the breeding bull is?.

10. KEEPER

Actually, the elephant bull it's the former Viena zoo bull, I don't remember his name.
    @Panthera Puss: in the Roman age this place was a iron mine.The zoo was built using the holes in the ground left by the mining.

11. Jacobea

Jacobea Well-Known Member

According to Elephant Encyclopaedia, they have fourteen elephants (3.11) and the breeding bull is Pambo, although there is also a ten year old named Coco, who born at the park, but no sire given (presumably "Chisco" though, who died in 2005).

12. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Any details about Pambo?

13. Jacobea

Jacobea Well-Known Member

14. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Thank you, Nice looking bull

15. Pertinax

Isn't 'Pambo' the one who, despite being only 4 at the time, killed someone at Vienna?

16. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, perhaps precocious ... but behaviour not unlike a full-grown bull (under fully natural conditions).

It has been 2+ years now and Pambo is just about to get to the right age ... at 18. He has ca. 5-6 cows with him in the right age brackets. Are some of these cows now pregnant or being mated by Pambo regularly? :confused:

17. Sitara

Sitara Well-Known Member

No, that was not Pambo. The elephant you mean is Abu : * 25.04.2001 by A.I. in Vienna, Tembo (Colchester, U.K.) x Sabi (now: Beekse Bergen, NL).
    Abu, an African Bush elephant at Halle Zoo
    Abu killed his keeper february 2005
    Accidents with Elephants in zoo and circus
    and left Vienna summer 2006. He is now living in Zoo Halle(Germany) together with 0,4 (Mafuta, Bibi, Tana and Panya), former Berlin Tierpark: http://www.asianelephant.net/loxodonta/halle/halle.htm#

18. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

19. docend24

docend24 Well-Known Member

Cabarceno is going to get new gorilla female in October. Moja from Prague. Born Dec. 2004, Richard x Kijivu. She was then not only the first gorilla born on czech soil but her birth was quite a story as an encouraging sign for the zoo rebounding from devastating floods in 2002. Succesful gorilla troop in Prague got a lot of followers even abroad because anyone can watch them via online webcameras.

Currently Moja lives with her father, mother, two younger full-brothers (Tatu and Kiburi), Kijivu's older sister Shinda, old wild caught female Kamba and currently pregnant Bikira.

20. Sitara

Sitara Well-Known Member