Join our zoo community

Parrot Conservation and research centre

Discussion in 'Dominica' started by vogelcommando, 20 Dec 2012.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

During 2010 the Parrot Conservation and research centre at the Botanical garden in Roseau had the world first breeding of the imperial parrot.
    Are there any members on the forum who have visited this place and can tell something more about this place -which species are kept/bred and does anyone know if the imperials have repeated their 2010-succes ?

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Interesting news item ... anyhow.
    Perhaps the Loro Parque Foundation has more on it?

3. condor

condor Well-Known Member

I haven't visited but do know that the centre is strongly aimed at their two native amazon parrots, the red-necked and the imperial, and they keep both. The few other species they have are also found on the island: red-rumped agouti, iguana and various common birds. They were involved in the establishment of a captive population of the frog Leptodactylus fallax, but I don't know if they actually keep any themselves.

I don't know if they've bred imperial since the 2010 breeding, which is described in detail here http://www.rarespecies.org/siss story.pdf. IMO the best looking amazon and its position as the largest species in the genus makes is even more impressive, but I doubt we'll ever see one in a zoo outside its native range again.

Fortunately, even if captive breeding remains limited, other projects the centre is involved in means that red-necked and imperial are doing better in the wild, and populations of both are now increasing.

4. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There has been no breeding of imperial amazons since 2010. I heard there was a complete overhaul of the amazon aviaries taking place. That could explain the lack of breeding.

5. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member