Join our zoo community

Linton Zoological Gardens Paul & Lynsey's Zoo Tour 2015 - #1 Linton Zoo

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by migdog, 17 May 2015.

1. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Me and my wife Lynsey are on a Zoo tour this year, discovering the awesome animals around the UK, and taking part in experiences where we can, please check out our videos of each visit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDz0gePObXE

First stop was Linton Zoo on a damp and cold January weekend. The zoo is not as big or as glamorous as some of the more well known zoos, but this made it feel a lot more intimate, and they still manage to offer a good array of animals. The zoo's key focus is the breeding and conservation of the animals, and features rare breeds of animals such as White Collared Lemur and Turkmenian Eagle Owls. We were on hand to see the "birth" of a baby kangaroo.

To walk around the zoo itself doesn't take that long, probably an hour or so, but if you take the time to go to the feeds and the meet and greets you can make a good half day to full day out of it.

The staff were very friendly and informative and let you get hands on with some of the reptiles in their regular talks, as well as touch the eagle owl.

The enclosures look a bit run down, but there seemed to be ample space for the majority of the animals. Thought maybe the snow leopard deserves a bigger enclosure, but the lions and tigers seems to have a fair amount of room.

We took part in the Lemur experience, and we highly recommend it. It was fun, informative and was only £10 per person; this would cost 5 times this elsewhere. During the warmer months the experience takes place in the outdoor enclosure, but as it was cold we fed them indoors, which worked in our favour as we managed to feed all 4 species: White Collared Lemur, Red Ruffed Lemur, Crowned Lemur and Mongoose Lemur.

Entry to the zoo was £9, which I thought was reasonable. We had a great day out, and was the perfect start to our zoo tour.

Highlights: The sound of the Southern Ground Hornbills, feeding all 4 species of lemur, seeing my first Brazilian tapir, being mesmerised by the Channel Billed Toucan.

Lowlights: Some of the enclosures need a bit of improvement, only one set of toilets which are located in the car park, not seeing the Binturong :(

If you want any more info, or want to give feedback please feel free to reply.

2. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just like to say been on you tube like the videos keep up the good work - wheres next ?

3. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks for your feedback, I am currently working on video number 9 - Dudley Zoo, I'm hoping to have this complete by the end of the week. I've got a lot of catching up to do, got footage from another 4 zoos to edit after this! :)