Join our zoo community

Paul & Lynsey's Zoo Tour

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by migdog, 4 May 2015.

1. NigeW

NigeW Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That was an epic year! thanks again for all the work in editing and sharing. The vids were a pleasure to watch.

2. Leitza

Leitza New Member

Hello, I know I'm quite late to the game but I wanted to say your videos were a pleasure to watch. Thoroughly enjoyed the one featuring us (CMWDP), thanks!

migdog likes this.
  3. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Glad you liked them Leitza. Swimming with Morgan was one of the best experiences we've had the pleasure of taking part in.

4. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

Great to see all of these videos - thank you for posting them and it looks like you had an epic year!!

pipaluk and migdog like this.
  5. migdog

Our 2016 tour didn't start until February, but it kicked off in style with a Valentine day out at Birdland, where Lynsey had paid for me to fee the King Penguins. Hope you enjoy!

pipaluk and BennettL like this.
  6. migdog

On to the 2nd video of 2016, we visited Hoo Farm Animal Kingdom, a nice place but very heavily focussed on animal experiences:

It's quite shocking to note that we had only visited 3 new zoos between Jan and April! Such a slack year compared to 2015....

pipaluk likes this.
  7. migdog

Just back from Cologne where me and Lynsey visited our first new zoos of the year, Wuppertal and Cologne, and I have managed to finish video number 43 - Gentleshaw Wildlife Centre. I hope you like it!

The downside to not visiting as many zoos at the moment is that I have more time to finish the ones we have visited!

8. migdog

It's been a quiet couple of weeks, so I have managed to finish #44 - Bristol Zoo. Didn't get any aye-aye footage unfortunately but it was amazing to see them run around in the dark. I got some nice footage of the quolls though...

Crowthorne likes this.
  9. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Another great video migdog and some great shots of the quoll! Such a shame all the ones at Bristol died out, hopefully they can get some more soon.

10. migdog

Thanks MagpieGoose!

I didn't know that about the quolls, that's a real shame, I'm glad we got to see them then

11. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Has Bristol Zoo confirmed that they have none left,as I have visited Bristol this year and did see one!

12. NigeW

NigeW Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Great vid that one Paul, as ever. Its been fascinating to see your experience in photographing and editing develop throughout the series. There seems to be a difference in camera angles and sharpness in this one. New kit?

Great stuff, do keep it up :)

13. migdog

Yes, at the beginning of last year I bought a Panasonic G7 and over a few months bought a couple of extra lenses to help with long distance shots.

14. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Another most enjoyable video. Shame if they have lost all(or nearly all) the Quolls now. Maybe they shouldn't replace them.

Interesting to see baby Gorilla 'Afia' as she was, on her surrogate human. She is now a fully paid-up member of the group of course.

migdog likes this.
  15. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Considering the fact that the zoo has held the individuals in question since 2014, that they arrived from Leipzig as adults and the species only has a lifespan of 4 or 5 years at average, it is to be expected that they would die off around this point in time; as such I would not be inclined to say they should not be replaced merely because they have potentially died of old age.

pipaluk likes this.
  16. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That occurred to me after I had said that, in which case, yes, if they obtain more then maybe no problem. Is it certain all of the current ones have now died?

17. migdog

We're heading off to Brussels tomorrow to check out Planckendael and Pairi Daiza (it's open a whopping 11 hours on Saturday!) I finally got round to completing and uploading video #45 - The Big Cat Sanctuary. I hope you enjoy!

FunkyGibbon and Crowthorne like this.
  18. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Nice to see so much enrichment here, and so many great looking cats!

migdog likes this.
  19. migdog

We visited Las Vegas last July for a family wedding, so we took time to go visit the Shark Reef Aquarium (twice) and Siegfried and Roy's Secret Garden to get our animal fix; our first "zoos" on our tour from outside the UK.

Video #46 is now online for Shark Reef, and includes a bit of footage of a Komodo Dragon going for a swim...

Swampy likes this.
  20. migdog

I managed to finish the next video quite quickly, as I tend to work on 2-3 videos at a time. So here is no. 47 - Siegfried and Roy's Secret Garden, also in Las Vegas:

We also visited the Flamingo Hotel gardens during our holiday, containing a nice few bird species. Will post a video if there's enough "good" footage.