Join our zoo community

Paul & Lynsey's Zoo Tour

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by migdog, 4 May 2015.

1. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I really enjoyed it, they have a lot more unusual animals than most zoos. Plus the rainforest and nocturnal exhibits were really good. The only downside is that visitors try and feed some of the animals, I saw someone trying to feed a squirrel monkey chocolate. Madrid Zoo was even worse...

2. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

I love that you do experiences at many of the zoos you visit, though it also makes me very jealous!

3. migdog

Thanks! It was part of our plan to try and do an experience at each park where we could, but it's becoming more difficult now as most of the European zoos we have visited don't offer any. We're going to Wild Place and Longleat over Christmas to do a couple - The Okapi experience at Wildplace and the big cat feed at Longleat :)

4. migdog

2016 finished with a great trip to Madrid zoo. Weather was great considering it was the end of December.

Now onto 2017, with lots more European zoos and a few new local zoos.

5. BeakerUK

Another great video and another interesting-looking zoo. I really need to sort some short breaks to visit zoos in Europe!

migdog likes this.
  6. migdog

Thanks! We did quite a few short breaks this year, anywhere we could with at least two zoos. Looking forward to sharing these with you all soon

7. migdog

I've finally got into 2017!

We had a long weekend in Cologne back in Feb, and visited Zoo Wuppertal and Cologne Zoo. Wuppertal is about 45 minutes by train, the schwebebahn was a good experience. Hope you enjoy!

NigeW likes this.
  8. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Great video as always. I think the Beaver needs some fresh logs...

migdog likes this.
  9. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Pleased to see you didn't neglect the best species there; Asian Golden Cat :p

10. migdog

I didn't get much good footage of the golden cats or the wild cats, but had to get a bit in there :)

11. migdog

Happy New Year everyone!

We had a great end to you year "zoo-wise", which included revisits to Bristol and Longleat (the big cat feed was amazing), and a last minute visit to Crocodiles of the World. Current total of zoos on the tour is now at 75*. Got 2 more planned this year (Basel and Mulhouse), but looking at more European zoos later in the year.

Still a long way behind, but here is video #59 - Kölner Zoo (as my wife made me re-edit to video to last night!). Definite highlight was seeing the lone douc langer, even if it was kept with a Javan for company...

*I haven't currently included Cedars Nature Centre as I'm not sure if I have enough video, although will be returning for sure this year :)

FunkyGibbon, Crowthorne and NigeW like this.
  12. BeakerUK

I continue to be envious of your zoo travelling! Do you plan to go further afield in time, or just stick with Europe?

migdog likes this.
  13. migdog

Thanks! Got some even better videos to come!

We'd eventually like to venture to the US and the Far East, and at some point actually see some of these amazing animals in their natural habitat. The wife want to go to Costa Rica for my 40th, so only a year and a half away but i don't think funds will allow it...

BeakerUK likes this.
  14. migdog

We visited Zoo de Jurques last March, the massive crater that holds the Barbary sheep and macaques was a sight to behold...

NigeW likes this.
  15. migdog

We visited the Exotic Pet Refuge last April. Whilst not open to the general public all year round (as they do not hold a zoo licence), they offer private tours and animal experiences. They have some amazing rescue animals, and whilst not all the enclosures are great, they are well looked after. I would recommend a visit if you haven't been there.

Crowthorne and Brum like this.
  16. migdog

The videos are coming thick and fast now!

#62 is Ark Wildlife Park, a nice little zoo in Lincolnshire, that houses rescue animals. Well worth a visit.

Crowthorne and Brum like this.
  17. BeakerUK

Both of these places look intriguing - and frustratingly, I used to live in Lincolnshire.

18. migdog

Both places are very passionate about what they do, and do a great job caring for their animals. Ark is well worth a visit if you're that way (we combined this with a visit to Woodside). Exotic Pet Refuge is bookable experiences and tours, as well as 6 open days a year and events. I'd recommend the tour and/or carnivore experience there if you ever get a chance

19. BeakerUK

I think a trip over that way is going to be on the cards sometime. I'd like to revisit Woodside, and also go to the Lincolnshire Wildlife Park.

migdog likes this.
  20. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

This was my experience at Madrid Zoo, too. Although, it seems that you were there just two days after I was.