Join our zoo community

Paul & Lynsey's Zoo Tour

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by migdog, 4 May 2015.

1. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

I wish that zoos in theme parks had an option for a ticket just for the zoo.

2. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Me too, at least near Christmas, some are cheaper and the rides are closed.

Last edited: 12 Sep 2018
    BeakerUK likes this.
  3. migdog

Last Boxing Day we had an enjoyable visit to Crocodiles of the World. I never seen as many active crocodilians before, and that was before watching the Nile crocodile feed. The only disappointment on the day was not being able to see the Komodo dragon, as all the windows had condensation. Was impressed with the collection and will definitely return in the future.

dublinlion and NigeW like this.
  4. BeakerUK

I am surprised by how much I enjoy CotW. One of those places I wish was a little closer so I could more easily pop in (plus I have a child in my current class who is obsessed with crocodilians, so I wish it was close enough for them to be able to visit).

5. migdog

Me too. We live nearly 3 hours away, so have to plan for a weekend away if we want to return. Doubt we'll get back this year but definitely want a revisit.

6. migdog

I've finally completed 2017! We visited The Wild Place Project on December 30th, and took part in the Okapi experience. it was amazing. Will definitely return when the new exhibits are completed.

robking1991 and NigeW like this.
  7. BeakerUK

Another great video. I really like the Wild Place and am really enjoying seeing them grow so steadily with interesting developments coming up.

8. migdog

Thanks! We really enjoyed our day there. The only downside was they gave me a pair of wellies for the Okapi experience, but one had a hole in it. Not ideal when we had to go through a couple of big puddles to get to them! :)

9. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Migdog, I love your taste in the music, it's great. Can you tell me what the song from the COTW video is please. It's a great song and I've never heard it before.

10. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Graffiti by the group Chvrches (Churches, with a 'v')

11. migdog

Thanks, I hope most of the music is to people's taste. Is it sad that when I'm listening to the radio all I can think about is whether it would work on a zoo video?!

12. Zooreviewsuk

Listening to some of your music tastes on the video's, it's similar to mine. I reckon you should look up a group called You Me At Six, I think you'll pleasantly like some of their stuff. Also Oh Wonder and Dean Lewis, those are definitely worth looking into. Be Alright by Dean Lewis would definitely work on one of your videos and it's an amazing song.

Thanks for the name of the song Little Red Panda.

13. Zooreviewsuk

recommendation for a future video trip song ;)

14. migdog

Awesome thanks, I'll check them out a little later. Might even give you a credit on the video :)

15. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think of Vontsiras whenever I hear OK Go's 'The Writing's on the Wall' ever since your RSCC video.

migdog and FunkyGibbon like this.
  16. migdog

And finally into 2018! It's been hard finding time recently to edit videos, but I've finally finished #77 - Jimmy's Farm. Quite a new "zoo", it's worth a visit if you're in the area. We combined it with Suffolk Owl Sanctuary, which is next on my list to finish (will be a short video)

Zooreviewsuk, Brum, BeakerUK and 2 others like this.
  17. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I went to Jimmy's Farm myself very recently (September 2018), so it's interesting to compare this video with my visit.

It seems that the alpaca and rhea have both moved since your video - the alpacas were in a paddock near the small mammals (rabbits, guinea pigs, meerkats and skunks) and the rhea was living on basically a small island in the capybara enclosure. The alpaca and rhea enclosure, if I remember correctly, housed a single golden Guernsey goat on my visit.

The butterfly house was excellent I found (although that is not altogether surprising, considering Jimmy Doherty's interest in insects). I must admit the reptile house was somewhat disappointing to me - only four species of reptile in total, two of them (boa constrictor and Argentine tegu) in terraria in the entrance and exit areas and African spurred tortoises and Morelet's crocodiles being the only inhabitants of the house proper.

Not sure how many tapirs you saw on your visit - on my visit a female had recently arrived although my mind has drawn a total blank as to where it came from.

18. migdog

There was only one tapir when I last visited, but had heard a female was joining the collection. Did you not see the alligator snapping turtle in the reptile house? I found it hiding in the water close to the crocodile enclosure. It's not the best reptile house, but it's certainly not the worst either.

19. Zooreviewsuk

@migdog

I love how you music beat blends in with the Reindeer trotting along it's enclosure !

migdog likes this.
  20. migdog

Thanks @Zooreviewsuk, in that instance it was planned but glad it works!