Join our zoo community

Paul & Lynsey's Zoo Tour

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by migdog, 4 May 2015.

1. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thought this was fascinating especially the marmosets were there several species just wandering around

2. garyjp

certainly made me decide to book a visit to whipsnade - was dissappointed by video of chimp enclosure - is that a fair comment

3. garyjp

Whats been your favourite so far and whty ?

4. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There are 3 species of Marmoset freely wandering around at Shorelands - Pygmy, Common and Black tailed. They really are a joy to watch if you know where to look!

5. migdog

The Chimps do have an outside enclosure that is much better, unfortunately the two times we visited them they were in the smaller caged area. Tip for Whipsnade, try and visit the Wolverines after lunch and the two times we've visited we haven't seen the Brown Bears before 4pm....

6. migdog

That's a hard one to answer, almost all the zoos have been great, for one reason or another. Recently we visited Exmoor, that's probably my current favourite, it's small enough to spend plenty of time watching the animals, a lot of them are very active. We paid for a Walk on the Wild Side experience, and got to feed the 3 cheetahs, groom and tickle the tapirs, put food out for and get up close to the Binturongs ,stroke and get licked by their singing dogs and feed grapes to their black lemurs.

7. kateL

kateL Member

Great videos! Keep it up. I haven't been to the UK for any zoos yet and it's been great seeing this.

8. migdog

Tour video number 16 is now complete and online to view.....

https://youtu.be/_PjdiBr30Ag

Next up, Yorkshire Wildlife Park and a couple of hungry polar bears....

9. garyjp

PWP - Broxbourne Zoo always good value these days - most astonishing thing the racoons were awake - always wondered why they never did a lemur walk through

10. migdog

It's fitting that I manage to complete tour video #17 just after the arrival of Nissan at Yorkshire Wildlife Park. We fed the Polar Bears; a truly wonderful experience with two magnificent animals....

https://youtu.be/BYtnGy2COdg

11. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My jaw hit the floor when you both walked into the Polar bear enclosure (1 of eventually 4) and got so close while feeding them in the holding area/dens- brilliant video!

The PB enclosure looks a lot better now that it has settled/ worn in. It is better for its newfound scruffiness.

12. migdog

Stop number 18 was Woodside Wildlife Park in Lincolnshire, where among other things we fed Tango, the tiger from the old Esso adverts, now being looked after in his twilight years (he's now 20!):

https://youtu.be/hEyuwGnfmdg

13. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Can anyone confirm when the last Esso adverts using Tigers were made? Assuming Tango would have to be full grown in the advert (?) if he was an Esso Tiger this would imply the adverts were still being made in the mid to late nineties (which is more recent than my fallible memory thought).

Can anyone clarify this and end my confusion?

PS liking the videos -you're going to have to go some to top them next year :)

14. garyjp

Id never heard of this place looks really good

15. migdog

It's quite small but well worth visiting. I enjoy the smaller zoos more as you get to spend more time with each animal.

16. migdog

Not sure we will be able to top it next year Shorts. We're visited 31 zoos so far and are aiming to get to 40 by end of the year. Maybe we'll visit a few zoos in Europe, definitely want to visit Leipzig and see the Pangolins :)

17. Shorts

Don't we all? :D

18. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

31 isn't a bad total but this weekend I visited the 64th different collection for the year,fingers crossed before December 31st I will have got to over 70 different collections,and somewhere over 100 zoo visits in total!

19. Shorts

Yeah, but you haven't done keeper experiences at each one and edited and uploaded a video thereof :p.

20. migdog

Wow that is a lot, I'm jealous! We could have done more but we've tried to spend a whole day at most places, even if it meant going back to the Lions for the 15th time and they were still sleeping :)

We've got the North-West arranged to finish the year off - Chester, Knowsley, Blackpool, South Lakes and possibly Birmingham Wildlife & Conservation Centre on the way home, we can;t wait!