Join our zoo community

Peak Wildlife Park Peak Wildlife Park opening and news 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by bongorob, 18 Jan 2015.

1. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Together with Nisha, Ophidia and Zoogiraffe I visited the site this afternoon. We took a walk along the public footpath to see if we could see anything of note.

The site is derelict and the only livestock seen were 2.2 golden pheasants in one of the old owl aviaries. The pink aviary had labels for the pheasants, Indian peadowl and waldrapp ibis but the last two species were not seen.

I don't think the park will open this year, there is a lot of work to be done.

2. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wow. Where has all the livestock gone? Dispersing that amount of animals must have taken some effort and time. Visited in 2007 and was amazed at just how many species they housed particularly waterfowl, but also odd stuff like 7 spp of ibis, multiple spp of pelican and many species that I had never seen previously. Location will always be the park's problem, however.

3. bongorob

We saw only the pheasants but have been told that they also still have penguins and black and white ruffed lemurs oin site.

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I believe the majority of the animals went into private hands, and a small handful have gone to public collections here and there; for instance, Kirkleatham Owl Centre has a Squacco Heron and Dalmatian Pelican from Blackbrook.

5. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

When you say the site is derelict does that mean abandoned?

i.e. any sign of construction/development?

6. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Well all the large crane aviarys no longer have any netting,as does the Pink Aviary but in this case its more a case that the poles holding the netting have fallen down.From what we could see all the talk from the new owners is ********,in that it will open in spring this year,the only thing we saw was a collection slowly falling down like a long forgotten Castle!

7. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sounds grim (and a little sad).

Thanks for your intrepid reporting.

8. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

Very sad indeed.

My own ideal happy ending would have been for Chester to use the site as an English HWP (Polar Bear, Musk Ox, various sheep and goats, Amur Tiger, Snow Leopard for example), but obviously that won't happen.

. It doesn't help at all, but IMHO it's only half the picture; Blackbrook has a climate that makes Whipsnade seem tropical.

9. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

The place actually has a climate that is unique pretty much to the site of the park,as any regular visitor to the place will know only to well!!

In the distant past a have had Rain,Hail,Snow,Fog and glorious winter sunshine all in the same day!!!

10. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Finally a new development: Introducing Peak Wildlife Park

The Peak Wildlife Park is a new wildlife park based on the site of the old Blackbrook Zoo on the edge of the Peak District National Park in Staffordshire UK. We are in the process of completely redeveloping the site as well as the animal habitats and the park's mission and ethos. Our keystone attraction for 2015 will be our immersive penguin habitat which will be unique in its scale and complexity. We will also open with several other new immersive animal habitats representing imperilled wildlife from across the globe.

We are as committed to the experience of our visitors as we are to the welfare of our animals and the contribution we can make together to protect wildlife both here and across the globe; our mission is to take and inspire action to protect wild life and wild places. We are currently looking for staff that share our passion and commitments.

If you want to be part of something unique and special, have a positive attitude, relevant skills or experience and share our vision and passion then you might just find the perfect role at the Peak Wildlife Park.

We aim to hold a recruitment day in March and will open in May 2015

Zoo Jobs: Animal Care and Other Staff

EDIT: New website showing images of Lemurs, Wallaby, Red Panda, Meerkats, Penguins, Camel, Brazilian Tapir and Pygmy Hippos
    http://www.peakwildlifepark.co.uk/

Last edited: 23 Feb 2015
  11. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I still doubt they will be opening when they say they will; moreover does anyone else get the distinct impression from the website that they are trying to pull a Wild Place and will be opening with only a handful of enclosures, adding stuff on later?

No planning permissions or zoo licence applications visible on the council website yet, though.......

12. bongorob

13. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sounds like the site is falling apart

14. jacks zoo

jacks zoo Well-Known Member

I predict a lemur walkthrough, an economical makeover of the existing penguin exhibit (that was built fairly recently from memory, by the previous owners) a wallaby walkthrough and a few birds, paddock animals and domestics.

With the involvement of Manor House I expect a very similar 'rustic' set up initially. Enclosures will be known as habitats and the marketing may be stronger than the collection itself lol :)

I imagine certain species such as camels could be moved from MHWP to the new site?

15. lowland anoa

I thought that as well!

16. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

I am afraid I can`t get excited about it - judging by the species they intend to display.
    If it is going to survive, for too long in that location, I think they need to do a great deal more and offer something much more exciting.

17. Falconhoof

Falconhoof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So is it now being operated by the same people as Manor House?

18. lowland anoa

Blackbrook Zoo is changing to a new wildlife park?!

19. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It will be run by Jake Veasey (ex Woburn, ex Calgary) with Anna Ryder Richardson and husband providing the financial backing

20. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Yes, along with Dr Jake Veasey (ex Woburn etc).