Join our zoo community

Peak Wildlife Park Peak Wildlife Park opening and news 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by bongorob, 18 Jan 2015.

1. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That is the plan.

2. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Oh, why is Blackbrook Zoo being changed?

3. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The original owner ran out of money and had to sell up.

4. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I know this is an odd question that nobody could answer but does Anna Ryder Richardson and her husband earn that much money to realistically fund two wildlife parks? I cannot believe that good marketing/PR will make a generic wildlife park in the Peak District viable. Really off the beaten path.

5. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For starters I imagine neither zoo cost too much to buy and I think as they have done to refurbish rescue what is there initially and then add to it . for all we know there may be another TV show or book coming out

6. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

It is a joint venture with Jake Veasey. I think they bought it fairly cheaply between them. Though Manor House Wildlife Park is not really a big money spinner but the couple were both reasonably wealthy independently beforehand, making their money in other areas first. Jakes involvement is more to do with the design aspects of the new park.
    But I do agree, the poor location is always going to make financial survival very hard indeed for anyone.

7. garyjp

The other thing is they may not turn it into a conventional zoo it might be geared more towards young families play areas etc

8. Jackwow

Jackwow Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm just glad I visited shortly before it closed.

9. tetrapod

Agree that both probably weren't particularly expensive to purchase, but the real cost is upkeep of facilities, utilities and feed. The exhibits were already in place (assuming they were still standing) so a new collection could be transplanted into place, but I find it odd that a rich couple could sustain two zoos, given one is in a difficult location. Even Aspinall struggles with the economic concept on keeping both Howletts and PL going and they have been operating for decades, with reasonable location and good PR. Not sold on the idea that it will work. Previous owners of Blackbrook had a niche (birds, mostly waterfowl) and that didn't work out.

10. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The new wildlife park sounds interesting to me.

11. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

To be fair, that niche worked out very well until the severe winter of 2012 into 2013 caused severe damage to the site and significant losses in stock, and caused the collection to close for close to 9 months to allow repairs to take place. They never recovered from that financial blow.

I believe that 2011 and 2012 had actually been their two most successful years ever, in point of fact.

12. tetrapod

True. I wasn't aware of what actually caused the final decline of BB. I visited in 2008 and enjoyed the collection, whilst also seeing the flaws of building a zoo on a windswept hilltop site!

13. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Yes it does if you like a place that has just the same species as every where else,what ever they do this place with NEVER be held in the same regard as it used to be when,it was Blackbrook,and held the largest collection of Waterfowl in the World,plus held many other wetland loving birds that could be seen nowhere else in the UK!!!

Last edited: 27 Feb 2015
  14. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Isn't that title reserved to a private breeder in Germany who keeps almost all waterfowl species in the world, including torrent ducks....

15. zoogiraffe

I should really have said public collection,but yes you are indeed correct even at its peak it was second behind said German breeder!!

16. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

It's fine to enjoy a collection that isn't full of niche of unusual species. It not even open yet, so let's wait and see before jumping in and judging on what at the moment is mainly hearsay and speculation.

I'm glad that one of our (I'm presuming) younger members is excited about seeing a new collection.

I remember how YWP started (I was that person visiting mainly to see colin the goat) and look at it now.

17. garyjp

I couldnt agree more - why dont we just wait and see how it develops and wish them luck

18. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'd agree that common species, done very well, can still make a good zoo and who knows what acorns will grow into.

I myself also get excited at the opening of any new zoo in the UK, especially one that's on my doorstep (about 45 minutes away).

However, the difference between Blackbrook and YWP is that the latter opened in a highly populated, easy to drive to, "zoo desert". Blackbrook is not really close to vast populations without nearer established zoos and, being is close to the middle of nowhere, is difficult and arduous for many to travel to -these factors are underlying reasons why the original zoo failed and the new owners will need to overcome these problems. Good luck to them and fingers crossed but, no doubt, it's a seriously uphill challenge.

19. zoogiraffe

Yes but its not going for any apes so it will never be as good as Twycross or Monkey World!!:p

Despite what many people may think I can enjoy a place without niche species,but a collection of ABC stuff even done well,will never take the place of the old Blackbrook in my heart as un-like many on here,I have seen it from its early start to its sad end a few years ago!!Yes I will look forward to its re-opening,but I will still mourn the loss of the UK's best Bird collection that we have seen in the last 20 years!!!

20. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

I agree that Blackbrook closing was really sad. Seeing their financial struggle mainly due to a string of circumstances beyond their control was heart breaking.

I hope the new owners are able to make a go of it

PS - YWP will have apes soon, I have faith :D