Join our zoo community

Pearl Coast Zoo

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ZYBen, 14 Mar 2006.

1. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

What ever happend to pearl coast zoo i remember reading about it in an avicultural magazine, apparantly they had Oryx, Pygmy Hippos, i am thinking they went to tippery, any info anyone has on it would be great, liek if they ever had hyenas i think thats where the Mysterios Monarto Hyena came form

2. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

yea i agree , can anyone help us on this one

3. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Can you picture zebra, onyx and cheetah making themselves at home in Broome?

British tycoon Alistair McAlpine was fascinated by northern Australia and made his home in Broome in the 1980s. He was an inveterate collector with a passion for birds, and in the early 80’s he open a zoo near Cable Beach.

It grew to cover 150 acres, with an incredible array of animals like pygmy hippos, rare antelope, cheetah, and a collection of endangered birds to rival any in the world.

Lord McAlpine described the zoo as an ark. And at its peak, 35 thousand visitors wandered on boardwalks through the paddocks and exhibits.

Then in 1989 the pilots strike strangled the tourism industry and after a couple of tough years the Pearl Coast Zoo closed down.

I hope this helps
    Courtesy of ABC.Net
    I have no idea what became of the animals .

4. Zoo_Boy

did u ever visit

5. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Thats right,the animals went to tippery in the NT, lord McAlpine had a real interest in Antelopes and Parrots, I seem to remember the birds were sold off around Australia to bird keepers, I knew someone who got some from there. As for the Hyena, I sure they never had it at the pearl coast zoo!!!!!!!. the only place who had them may of been Perth zoo.

6. Zoo_Boy

did u visit the zoo mark

7. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

No I never got up there, there was some tv shows that had showed it a few times, so you could at least see some of the animals.

8. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

the pearl coast zoo was quite successful in breeding palm cockatoos and south american conures before the import ban was lifted. they used to advertise in australian bird keeper magazines classifieds section.
    appaerently all that remains of the zoo is the entrance building,now a cafe. and on the subject of hyeanas in research facilites i know there are hamydras baboons in a university facility in nsw so who knows what else is out there?

9. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Yes, there should be a national; register taht all zoos, wildlife parks reasearch facilities have to fill out, and even private animal keepers could be in, they could update what animals they have each month, it would be like a local isis, and make there census's much easier

10. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Thats a really good idea Ben, I wonder who you could put this idea too????,

11. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Umm whos the current minister for the Environment, i have many government connections, i really think it would be good

12. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

13. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

Thanks Kiang - a very interesting article.

What a shame the place closed.

I found a list of the ungulates that were there:-
    Nyala
    Addax
    Blackbuck
    Addra gazelle
    Hog deer
    Sitatunga
    Sable antelope
    Gemsbok
    Greater kudu
    Eland
    Nilgai
    Red lechwe
    Waterbuck
    Chital deer
    Angolan springbok
    Forest (Congo) buffalo
    Water buffalo
    Grevy's zebra
    Pygmy hippo
    Scimitar horned oryx

Most of those are no longer in the region, or are on the way out. We'd love to have them back!
    How Lord McAlpine managed to import them in the 1980's is amazing. It would have taken a lot of money and a lot of political clout.

14. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

McAlpine had a deal with Orana Park because NZ was allowed to import ungulates from other countries (such as the USA and UK) whereas Australia was only allowed to import from NZ. So McAlpine paid for a lot of off-display holding areas (and/or maybe quarantine areas, I'm not sure) at Orana for that purpose; Orana benefited by being able to keep some of the animals imported. However I don't know any of the specific details, or which species went through (although I'm pretty sure that's when Orana got their springbok).

I remember seeing the zoo featured on an Australian travel show back in the 80s. I remember the palm cockatoos and macaws being shown, and something being stated about him having the largest collection of exotic birds in the country or something along those lines.

15. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Extracts from the Marwell zoo annual reports from 1987 and 1988, shed a little light on the origins of some of the hoofstock that were imported from the UK in these 2 years.

2.5 - scimitar horned oryx
    1.2 - gemsbok
    1.1 - greater kudu
    1.3 - nilgai
    1.1 - Congo buffalo

all animals from the Marwell collection.

MARWELL

1.0 - greater kudu
    2.3 - sitatunga
    0.2 - gemsbok
    1.0 - llama
    2.2 - nyala
    2.0 - Grevy's zebra
    1.1 - Congo buffalo
    0.4 - Przewalski's horse

KNOWSLEY SAFARI PARK

0.1 - eland

EDINBURGH ZOO

0.2 - red lechwe

PAIGNTON ZOO

1.1 - red lechwe

WHIPSNADE PARK

2.0 - Congo buffalo
    1.1 - Przewalski's horse

MIDWAY MANOR

0.4 - Grevy's zebra
    0.3 - Przewalski's horse
    1.1 - addax

Noted in the annual report as one of the largest consignments of wild animals to leave the UK.

16. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

so McAlpine was actually importing directly from the UK to Australia? That's pretty amazing. I wonder if, in that case, the Orana deal proved unnecessary and was never followed through with once the holding areas were completed?