Join our zoo community

Zoo Pécs Pécs Zoo news

Discussion in 'Hungary' started by HungarianBison, 2 Mar 2021.

1. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

Pécs Zoo has missed from ZooChat up to now, but it's a very interesting place. The zoo founded in 1960, built by volunteer workers. Animals were lived in small cages. In the 70's they kept Chimpanzee, Polar bear and North-chinese leopard in bad conditions. Between 2013 and 2016 the zoo has been renovated and developed. They has a pretty good aquarium-terrarium. In last years Ruffed lemurs, Spotted hyenas, Brown bear, Wolverines arrived.

2. HungarianBison

Two Giant anteaters arrived:) Male named Anti was born in Zagreb, the female called Dorka is from Madrid.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  3. HungarianBison

A Mantled guereza born

Antoine and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  4. HungarianBison

American bison born yesterday:)

5. HungarianBison

Today I visited Pécs Zoo, the 17th zoo I've ever been to. The zoo is located in the Mecsek Mountains, nearby the northern border of Pécs. The zoo was a disappointment for me, although it has been completely renovated in 2016. There are no real rarities in the zoo, maybe some fish or reptile species, which I don't really know.
    The best part is arguably the Aquarium-Terrarium: a lot of salt- and freshwater tanks that are maintained well. My favourite was one of the three Amazon aquaria. The inhabitants of this 2000 litre tank are a plethora of Red neon tetras, a huge Common pleco and some Panda cories.
    In my opinion Pécs Zoo keeps too much large ABCs in their 4 hectares big area (Lion, Tiger, Persian leopard, Coguar, Brown bear, Spotted hyena, Sacred baboon, Chimp, Dromedary camel, Plains zebra, American bison). Because of this most exhibits are fairly small and there is almost no shadow and enrichment in some cases.
    I will upload my photos on Sunday, because this visit happened in a one week long holiday, and I left my laptop at home.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. HungarianBison

A Mantled guereza was born on New Year's Eve:)

Antoine likes this.
  7. HungarianBison

An American bison was born.

Haliaeetus likes this.