Join our zoo community

Combe Martin Wildlife & Dinosaur Park pelican is lonley

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by slendercat, 19 Aug 2013.

1. slendercat

slendercat Active Member

does anyone else think the only pelican in the pelican enclosure at coombe martin wildlife park looks a bit lonley.The enclosure situated in the wallaby and mara walkthrough is a bit small and only holding one pelican is a bad thing beacause pelicans live in big groups

2. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The pelican might be isolated because it doesn't get along with other pelicans. It is impossible to say if it is lonely or not.

3. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Colonial waterbirds surely prefer company of their own kind (or of at least closely related species). To keep one bird alone for a long time needs a really good reason (maybe there is one you don´t know?) Try to ask the park for explanation.

4. BramblePatch

BramblePatch Member

Oscar our great white pelican is believed to be over 27 years old (if I am mistaken, 27 is a cracking age for a pelican) and has been here since the park opened. Unfortunately his partner Penelope died around three years ago and due to his age we haven't introduced a new partner to him. I know it's difficult to not place human emotions on to animals, but I can assure you, Oscar has the best care possible and is doing very well.

5. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Pelican is lonely

I believe the oldest recorded pelican was a lot older than this, cranes and swans have certainly bred at greater ages. It would be well worth getting this bird a new partner (or better still trying to get together a small group); he could live another 27 years.

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I just had a quick search out of interest's sake. The oldest I found was an American white pelican at 54 years old, and the oldest European white pelican 51 years old.