Join our zoo community

Sea World Gold Coast Penguin exhibit

Discussion in 'Australia' started by jay, 2 Jan 2012.

1. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Ok so I'm not sure if there is any one left of the Australian forums who would be intrested but I visited Seaworld today and saw the new penguin exhibit.
    I was unimpressed. Basically think of the scene in Happy Feet where the main penguin character is in the zoo exhibit and it is just like that. It was much smaller than I thought it would be with most of the space taken up by a large foyer for humans to hang around in (not even close to the viewing area). There were about 8 Kings and 20 Gentoos and all I could think of was the Happy Feet movie. Though the humans were more respectful and there was no dancing by the penguins. :)
    Actually I felt that all of Seaworld was looking a bit rundown and unimpressive.

2. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm still here. I have been wondering about this exhibit. I was at the Gold Coast in the middle of this year but I didn't want to do a giant theme park tour so didn't go to Seaworld. Have you seen the Antarctic penguin exhibit at Melbourne Aquarium? How would you compare them if you have? I quite liked the Melbourne exhibit but maybe I'll have to head back up north some time when I get home and check out Seaworld's.
    P.S. Did you take any pictures?

3. jay

havent seen the Melbourne one yet so cant compare. I have some dodgy phone pics which I will try to post later

4. zebra finch

zebra finch Member

I agree. I think the seaworld penguin exhibit was too small too. The pool was tiny compared to the one at Kelly Tartons which is nice and big. The only good thing was at least you could see the penguins when they were moulting unlike the crested penguin at Taronga zoo. I have not seen the Melbourne exhibit to compare. The dolphin pools at Seaworld were nice and big and I was impressed by them. I thought they could put some dolphins in the jet ski centre at the parks entrance.

5. jay

Seaworld has had a history of excellent exhibits, Polar Bear Shores, Shark Bay etc. That was one of the reasons that I was disapointed, I ws expecting more from them. That whole jet ski thing is so boring.

6. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

More gentoos and kings have been imported from New Zealand as well recently.