Join our zoo community

Penguin in captivity

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by aardvark250, 28 Jun 2017.

1. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Of all the penguin species in captivity,how many of those are kept in captivity?

As far as I know:
    Now kept in captivity:
    King
    Emperor
    Adelie
    Gentoo
    Chrinstap
    Little
    Magellanic
    Humboldt
    African
    Northern rockhopper
    Southern rockhopper
    fiordland
    Macaroni
    Previously kept in captivity:
    Galapagos(New york aquarium)

Anyone know have Royal,Erect-crested,snares and yellow-eyed penguin are in captivity now or before?

d1am0ndback likes this.
  2. drill

drill Well-Known Member

What zoos hold Fiordland penguins and Taronga should still have Erect crested.

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

probably the first three (royal, erect-crested and Snares) have been kept in zoos in the past because subantarctic penguins were commonly shipped around. EDIT added: at least Wellington Zoo had erect-crested penguins in the past; see this thread (where they are called Sclater's crested penguins): Wellington Zoo - Wellington Zoo bird collection, 1921

Yellow-eyed penguins have been kept at, at least, London Zoo and Napier Marineland in NZ.

Last edited: 28 Jun 2017
  4. aardvark250

I believe taronga hold fiordland rather than erect-crested.

5. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

London Zoo had two Sclater's penguins (erect-crested penguins) in 1888. I believe one of the London animals was the type specimen.

6. aardvark250

I just found a quite interesting facility:Nagasaki Penguin Aquarium.I believe this is the most species of penguin held in one collection.According to their website, they have:king,gentoo,chinstrap,macaroni,rockhopper,humbolt,jackass,megallenic, and little penguin.

7. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That's a very impressive collection! I don't think I've seen more than 3 species anywhere: Edinburgh( King, Gentoo, Rockhopper) , Whipsnade ( Humboldts, Rockhopper, Gentoo) , London ( Humboldt, Macaroni, Rockhopper) Zoo Berlin (King, Rockhopper, Humboldt) actually having thought about it they had African too so Berlin had 4!

8. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Seaworld San Diego come close with 8 species, Emperor, King, Gentoo, Adelie, Chinstrap, Macaroni, Humboldt, and Magellanic.

9. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

SeaWorld San Diego also has African penguins, as ambassador animals I believe.

10. aardvark250

I personally have seen:
    Emperor,king ,humbolt,jackass,magellanic,adelie,southern rockhopper, and gentoo .

11. Chlidonias

I wonder of anyone on Zoochat has seen all the penguin species. It would seem unlikely given that the Galapagos penguin and several subantarctic species aren't currently in captivity, but there's always a slim possibility.

BenFoxster likes this.
  12. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That's actually a life goal of mine. I've seen 12 taxa so far, possibly more depending on how many subspecies of king are around in the US.

BenFoxster likes this.
  13. Chlidonias

just going on species (and including sometimes-split species to be thorough), I've seen the following ones in bold. I feel like I should have seen Chinstrap somewhere, but I can't think where.

Emperor (captive and wild)
    King (captive)
    Gentoo (captive)
    Chinstrap
    Adelie
    Australian Little Blue (captive and wild)
    NZ Little Blue (captive and wild)
    White-flippered (captive and wild; has been split on and off from Little Blue)
    Yellow-eyed (wild)
    Southern Rockhopper (captive; I've seen at least Southern, at Jurong, not sure about the others because at one time Jurong had all three at once)
    Eastern Rockhopper (sometimes split from Southern)
    Northern Rockhopper
    Fiordland Crested (captive and wild)
    Macaroni (captive)
    Royal
    Snares crested
    Erect-crested
    Galapagos
    Magellanic (captive)
    Humboldt's (captive)
    African (captive)

Last edited: 23 Jul 2017
    BenFoxster likes this.
  14. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

My goal is to try and see all the penguin species in the wild. So far I have two (African and little). How many could I reasonably hope to pick up in New Zealand?

BenFoxster likes this.
  15. Chlidonias

three - Little Blue is very easy, Yellow-eyed is easy, and Fiordland Crested is straight-forward at the right time of year. Any others are vagrants.

The Little Blues have recently been split into two species. I don't follow this myself, but it may be valid. But if you follow the split, then the one you've seen would be the Australian Little Blue which is the only penguin species on the Australian mainland. In New Zealand there are both Australian Little Blues and New Zealand Little Blues, and also White-flippered Penguins which almost certainly aren't a valid species but are very distinctive and have been split from time to time (it goes back and forth).

To get your other penguin species, you'd need to make at least one trip to southern South America for Humboldt's and Magellanic (and throw the Falkland Islands in there for Southern Rockhopper); the Galapagos Islands for the Galapagos Penguin; and then almost all of the remaining species you could mop up on one subantarctic/Antarctic wildlife cruise from New Zealand (you just need to possess a fat wallet).

Check the prices for Heritage Expeditions - if you could afford to combine one of their cruises with your trip to New Zealand you could get a good haul of penguins.

The two outliers are the Northern Rockhopper, which breeds in the Atlantic so would most likely require a dedicated trip for that one species; and Emperor Penguin - which might seem easy on an Antarctic cruise but apparently they tend to not be in the same places as the cruises.

I've only seen four penguin species in the wild, although that's probably more than most people here, and one of them is Emperor Penguin which I was fortunate enough to see as a vagrant in New Zealand. The other three are the Fiordland Crested, the Yellow-eyed, and the Little Blue (of all three forms - Australian, NZ, and White-flippered).

Last edited: 23 Jul 2017
    BenFoxster and JVM like this.
  16. temp

temp Well-Known Member

If combining wild+captive I've seen all. If disregarding captive and accepting the full 3-species rockhopper split I am missing one, the northern. I doubt that'll change as I'm not that interested in the Tristan da Cunha/Gough endemics, although I wouldn't mind seeing the Inaccessible rail one day (and that island can now be visited). Many other places are higher on my want-to-visit list.

None of the penguins are difficult to see in the wild. The only limit is economy. I've travelled to places around the world, but my Antarctic+Subantarctic cruise remains the most expensive, followed by the New Zealand and its offshore islands trip. If you're based in Europe or USA the cheapest by far to see in the wild are Humboldt, Magellanic and African. They're all a joy to watch and unlike some of the other penguin species you can see them on your own without being part of a guided tour.

Giant Panda and jayjds2 like this.
  17. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Nope, they use their hand reared magellanics (and sometimes humboldts) as program animals. They haven't had Africans in a very long time, if ever.

18. Alex Bensky

Alex Bensky Well-Known Member 10+ year member

19. Chlidonias

I just found out that Penguin Place in Dunedin (New Zealand) currently has Snares Crested and Erect-crested Penguins. This isn't a zoo, but a penguin rehabilitation centre. Mostly they have Yellow-eyed Penguins, but they also get in Fiordland Crested Penguins and various vagrants from the subantarctic which turn up on the mainland. The birds get released when they are fit enough to do so.

20. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It would be interesting to see how many species of penguin Zoochatters have been bitten by. I'll start it off:
    Number of penguin species worked with: one (Humboldt's)
    Number of penguin species that have savagely bitten me: one ( multiple individuals)

vogelcommando likes this.