Join our zoo community

People Breaking the Rules at Zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by MonkeyBat, 12 Jul 2020.

1. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

I got this idea while looking at a thread @Sarus Crane created about a recent event where a visitor climbed on a roof at Cleveland Metroparks Zoo to get a picture of a snow leopard. here's the thread Man Approaches Snow Leopard At Cleveland Zoo

Does anyone have some examples of people breaking the rules at zoos? Crossing barriers or pestering the animals? I know there was that one guy who smacked the rear of a hippo in Los Angeles a few years ago, and I believe there was a woman who climbed into the lion exhibit at Bronx for some reason?

evilmonkey239 and Sarus Crane like this.
  2. MonkeyBat

Sorry if anyone came before I edited this thread, I accidentally posted a link to another thread on here. My apologizes.

3. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The only thing I have ever seen was some guy at Chester throwing a tangerine at the camels.

4. MonkeyBat

Interesting experience. I would like to add though these don't have to be eye witness events, but can just be people breaking the rules in general that you find.

5. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

In terms of crossing barriers I think a lot of photographers have to lean over fences in front of bird and mammal mesh cages in order to focus camera lenses between the bars for unobstructed photos. Or using flash in nocturnal houses and aquariums, etc. Although I did read a study concluding that flash does not harm fish.

Bisonblake and MonkeyBat like this.
  6. Luke da Zoo nerd

Luke da Zoo nerd Well-Known Member

I went to the Minnesota zoo and someone was drawing on the glass.

evilmonkey239 and MonkeyBat like this.
  7. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When Carson Springs Wildlife had their open house in April 2017 I remember seeing what looked to be 5-10-year-olds go through the steel cable fence of Henry the Indian Rhino's enclosure and proceeded for about 15 feet before their parents saw them and yelled at them to come back. Thankfully Henry was far away in his barn sleeping. Also, I remember seeing a few people taunting Wilbur & Winnie the Warthogs, making them react aggressively and charge the fence.

8. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I feel like we are missing the biggest one that is still memed about whenever a gorilla is seen...

9. MonkeyBat

Shhhh.... we don't speak of that

10. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Last time I was at Ochsner Park Zoo, I kid jumped in with the African Spurred Tortoise and picked it up and moved it because he thought it was stuck. I didn't see it happen but I heard other talking about it. This was about a week after someone got bitten by a goat there, because they thought it was a good idea to go past the fence.

MonkeyBat likes this.
  11. grevy's zebra

grevy's zebra Well-Known Member

He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named will always be known, but not mentioned (even though I made this response.)
    I think that guy should have gotten the one thing that hippos are known for that comes out the rear end where he hit it.

12. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

13. AlmightyKingPrawn

AlmightyKingPrawn Well-Known Member

A guy and his son were feeding wild geese and wood ducks crackers on my last visit to the Detroit Zoo. The geese were getting quite aggressive and attacking guests for food. I told an employee but he couldn't find them.

LowlandGorilla4 and MonkeyBat like this.
  14. DaLilFishie

DaLilFishie Well-Known Member

People using flash in aquariums. Probably not the worst thing really but it annoys me.

Yoshistar888 and ZooBinh like this.
  15. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

One of my favorite videos concerning this issue. These female elephants at Copenhagen Zoo are smart enough to "guide" the idiot back to the guest area:

Also here's another crazy one:

Last edited: 12 Jul 2020
    evilmonkey239 and MonkeyBat like this.
  16. birdsandbats

That is the worst. Do you know why flash is banned in aquariums? Some species, such as Spotted Ratfish die if exposed to a sudden flash of light. Flash doesn't help in an aquarium anyway, all you get is reflection off the glass, so I'm not sure why people attempt it anyway.

Dodo2, MonkeyBat and Yoshistar888 like this.
  17. qthemusic

qthemusic Well-Known Member

As a photographer, I would never use a flash in any inside enclosures, whether it's an aquarium or reptile house. As you say, all it does, is reflects on the glass. However I am guilty of resting my rubber lens hood on the glass to minimize reflection and get a decent shot. I hope that that doesn't interfere with the exhibits, and so far I haven't been asked not to do it by a keeper. It's not a good idea to do that now of course, with Covid still apparent.

18. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

Do you have evidence that fish can die if exposed to flash photography? I did some research and the following papers suggest otherwise (at least for the species they studied).

Also, nocturnal houses are often impossible to photograph without flash, unless they use a red or a blue light in the exhibit. To avoid using flash, a lot of my nocturnal species photos in my database are tinged with a red light. Although I have been told that some zoos’ nocturnal houses turn on the lights shortly prior to the zoo closing, so that’s the optimal time for photography.

https://phys.org/news/2018-10-fish-undisturbed-photography.html
    Behavioural and pathomorphological impacts of flash photography on benthic fishes | Scientific Reports

19. birdsandbats

The info comes from a sign at Shedd.

20. DaLilFishie

DaLilFishie Well-Known Member

Thanks for that article, it makes me feel a little less bad about turning my camera off to save battery, and forgetting that turning it off makes it go back to default settings, and default setting for flash is on and accidentally using flash in aquariums. A lot of the time I realise at the last moment and I'm able to cover it with by hand.

Paul Kalisch likes this.