Join our zoo community

Peregrines

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by gentle lemur, 1 Aug 2008.

1. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I promised some dolphin photos in a previous thread, but they are taking longer to process than I had hoped. Here are some shots from a previous project: this year a pair of peregrine falcons nested on the clock tower of the imposing Victorian Town Hall in Bolton, close to my home. I got up at 4 am several times to photograph them while the light was favourable and there were few other people around. It required an effort, but it was worth it :)

[photo=10457;514;Bolton007_103.jpg]Peregrine tiercel (Bolton Town Hall)[/photo]
    The tiercel (male) brings in a meal.

[photo=10458;514;Bolton008_035.jpg]Young peregrine at Bolton Town Hall[/photo]
    One of the young falcons circling the clock tower.

[photo=10459;514;Bolton008_068.jpg]Young peregrine (Bolton Town Hall)[/photo]
    A young falcon flying strongly - all young peregrines in the UK are ringed, I have obscured the number on this bird's red plastic ring.

Alan

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Henry Williamson used to write in the 1920's about Peregrines nesting on places like Salisbury Cathedral but I never thought I'd see them doing this again- however, there are an increasing number of buildings in the UK, mostly Cathedrals & Office blocks which they are nesting on nowadays. Its been an amazing comeback.

Incidentally, why did you obscure the ring number?

3. gentle lemur

Yes, it's wonderful to see them anywhere - but it's extra special when they are so close to home and so accessible. This is the first time they have bred in Bolton, but they have bred in Manchester city centre for several years now and on one of the towers of the big radio telescope at Jodrell Bank.
    I'm not too sure of all the ringing details, but I believe it is partly a security measure to prevent theft of the young birds for falconry etc. I have posted these photos on a couple of websites and I wouldn't want to compromise the security in any way (although I realise this is highly unlikely).

Alan

4. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Amazing shots Alan, good to see a small example of man and bird living in some sort of harmony.

5. Pertinax

Does anyone know if these 'urban' peregrine falcons are beginning to have any effect on the 'nuisance' populations of feral pigeons where they live? The pigeons in these places where Peregrines are nesting again must suddenly have become far more alert in order to escape being a falcon's dinner.

6. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I read in the Herald Sun (Melbournes newspaper) that the Government gives out a permit for two pairs of peregrine falcons to be killed each year. There was a long list of other native animals that are killed to keep the populations under control.

7. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Pat is this a recent article. It sounds ridiculous to give out permits to kill Peregrines.

8. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Great photos Alan!

9. kc7gr

kc7gr Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hate to be the one to point it out, but... Every single one of your photo links is broken (and I really wanted to see the dolphin shots, dang it!)

10. gentle lemur

I think Sim has reorganised the Gallery.
    Here are the photos

[photo=10457;907;Bolton007_103.jpg]Peregrine tiercel (Bolton Town Hall)[/photo]

[photo=10458;907;Bolton008_035.jpg]Young peregrine at Bolton Town Hall[/photo]

[photo=10459;907;Bolton008_068.jpg]Young peregrine (Bolton Town Hall)[/photo]

Alan

Last edited: 1 Oct 2008
  11. kc7gr

kc7gr Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nice work!

Very nice, in fact. Were you using a polarizing filter? The sky color looks fairly deep, and the contrast isn't half bad either.

Thanks.

12. gentle lemur

No polariser, the sky really was that colour (even in the north west of England). It was shortly after dawn looking west.
    I would never use a polariser in this situation because it would absorb so much light, when you need every photon to give a nice fast shutter speed (remember that peregrines fly faster than almost any other bird) and to let you stop down a bit for better depth of field.

Alan

13. Pertinax

Peregrines & Pigeons

What seems to be the main diet of city-nesting Peregrines? Is it the Feral pigeon colonies and have they begun to affect their numbers at all in places like Bolton?

Do you know if they have altered the Pigeons' behaviour at all- i.e. made them more alert & wary? There's a parallel wit the arrival of Wolves in Yellowstone NP, suddenly the Elk herds were faced again with a historic predator which the current generations had never experienced.

14. gentle lemur

Good question. I didn't notice much difference in the habits of the pigeons around the Town Hall when the falcons were around. The tiercel did sometimes hunt in the centre of the town, but the pigeons near the nest did not seem to be aware of the threat - perhaps that's a comment on the intelligence of pigeons or the size of their population. Followers of B F Skinner would prefer the latter explanation.

Alan