Join our zoo community

Taronga Western Plains Zoo Persian Onager birth

Discussion in 'Australia' started by kiang, 30 Nov 2008.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Spotted on ISIS a birth in the onager group bringing the numbers upto 4.4, are they going to persevere with the group as they are with bongo in the hope one day new blood can be brought in?

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I still have a lingering hope that this critically endangered equid can be moved out of the ARAZPA region completely. No ties to any of the continental breeding programmes (EEP, SSP?)? Where will the offspring go?

What is the historical origins of the Iran onagers in Dubbo (Washington NZP)? If so, it would be a great addition to the EEP programme which actually does have an in situ component to their programme!!!

To my mind, ARAZPA should concentrate on Przewalskis instead ... which are in good numbers in Aussie zoos! Besides, the offspring can be directly linked to in situ programmes in Central Asia (Kazakhstan, Mongolia, PR of China)!

What is the equid import and export regulations under Bio-security like folks????

3. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Export from Australia should not be a problem, it's the Import Conditions of the country you are exporting to that you need to consider.

Australian Import requirements for Equids, Rhinocerids and Tapirids are pretty much the same - pre-export quarantine, veterinary examinations, treatments, Government Veterinary Health Certificates, post entry quarantine.

Import Permits will be required, as will CITES Import and Export Permits.

Equids for zoos can only be imported from Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Ireland, France Germany Italy, Greece, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, UK, Canada, USA and Singapore.

:)

Hix

4. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That's a pretty good list of countries to import into Australia from and the fact that they have bred (I don't even want to know how related the parents are) maybe TWPZ will import some new bloodlines to kickstart the program.

5. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Given the limitations with importing hoofstock into Australia, I would prefer to see some interest within the country to develop the regional herd. There is certainly enough potential holding space to accomodate managing Chapman's/Damara zebra, Przewalskis and onagers.

6. Kifaru Bwana

Tetrapod,

The group of Persian onagers has not seen any influx of new blood nor any breeding for years on end (the new foal is the first since ... yonkers time). If Dubbo really wishes to be serious with this critically endangered taxon it will need to align itself with the Onager EEP ... :D

In my assessment, the SSP has slowly lost interest in onagers and the kulans. Just see the expose by okapikpr on the Bill Gruenerwald rare equid collection.

1) I was asking for the genetics of the 4.4 onagers at Dubbol! Are they SSP originators or ex Europe in the 1980's or 1990's?
    2) I would like to know the sire and dam history of each animal. Anyone has any useful data here?

Cheers,

Jelle

7. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

The AZA has interest in Persian Onagers...they are a PMP in the US. Its the Eastern Kiang and the Kulan that arent held in US zoos, as far as I know.

From data that I have found...I know of 1.3 Onagers that were imported into Australia (Dubbo)

*1.0 unnamed? born in Tilburg, arrived 1979 in Dubbo from Rotterdam
    *0.3 all born in Front Royal, VA, USA. Arrived 1981 in Dubbo from Toronto

I dont know anything concerning the current makeup of Dubbo's herd.

8. tetrapod

I appreciate the fact that Dubbo has not proceeded very far with onagers, but I think it has been short-sightedness by ARAZPA, and more specifically Werribee and Monarto to not get in on the act of breeding up an endangered equid already in the country. As for the lack of breeding, chances are that most onagers in captivity are related as I doubt many have been exported from their original range.

9. Kifaru Bwana

That is not correct. Hagenbeck imported quite a number of Persian onager and these were somewhat equally divided among the US and European zoos. From what I gather from okapikpr's comments the Australian herd is more genetically important to the EEP (in particular the females in the herd).

It still leaves open some questions:
    Which are the current breeding animals?
    In what way are they descended from the original 1.3 imports?
    How many foals have been bred since they were imported (I remember ISIS data at some point showing 3.7, now it is 4.4)?

Please Oz forumsters, any clarifications here? :confused:

10. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

go to taronga zoo friends, trawl through the back issues of zoo nooz online and youll find the family tree in either the sept or jun 08 issues

11. tetrapod

Sorry. I'm impressed that the onager situation is better than a lot of other species. I have recently read something that mentioned that equids seem to cope with inbreeding compared to some other species (gazelles are a good example). That said I also recall a conversation with an ex-Auckland employee who told me about the sorry state of their Grant's zebras which were inbred over decades and had foals which didn't survive (shows the importance of records and group management).

Yes I agree then that Australasia should align with the EEP.

12. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

on a side note, something very rare has happened in the australian zoo community. an australian-bred ungulate has actually been exported...now that doesnt happen much. the animal concerned was a taronga-bred bongo sent to singapore

13. Animaldude

Animaldude Well-Known Member 10+ year member

what are the names of the onagers?

14. zebraboy

zebraboy Member

Hi im just wondering what remains of the onager population (as in how many stallions, geldings, mares and their ages)
    And considering only is it 4 remain what happened to the rest of the population
    Cheers

15. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The powers to be at TWPZ lossed interest in this species years ago they bred well and were well suited to the climate here. As with a number of other species within our Aussie collections they run with them for a few years only to turn around and phase the out as they did with Maned Wolfs and the big loss of interest in Bongos now among others. Very pleased to see Altina not only took up holding Maned Wolfs but are doing well breeding them and have imported new bloodlines in fact I believe they have one of the largest groups in the zoo world!

16. zebraboy

zebraboy Member

But are there stallions and mares in the remnant herd and are any zoos such as altina interested in saving the aus zoo population themselves as they did with the maned wolf

17. Zorro

Unsure what they have left atm. I guess the smaller regional zoos like Altina can only do so much unlike the big government owned zoos with massive budgets can do so much more if the will was there!

18. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The male attracted my intrest because - if we should believe ZTL - Tilburg stopped keeping Onagers in 1963 ( and closed in 1973 ) which would mean that this male was at least 16 years old when he was exported to Australia and at least 18 years when he first had the possibility to mate in Australia ( ??? ).

BennettL likes this.
  19. BennettL

BennettL Well-Known Member

Why did they lose interest in the ongers?They still have a few left.I've visited lately and they still seem to be breeding them.They are exhibited near the hippo lake.They have about two exhibits that TWPZ exhibit them in.

Maned wolfs are going on a weird path.They were rejected by Melbourne,Taronga and Adeilade.Perth have recently imported some to go in the old hunting dog exhibit after they weren't able to breed them.Twpz and Altina have huge collections of them.Twpz still have a few.Altina have one of worlds biggest groups of maned wolves.

BennettL

20. Zorro

Who can say to why some of the major zoos lose interest in certain species it appears to more common here than else where with quite a few phase out species only to be replaced by another which gets phased out itself in time, it an interesting question!
    As for Maned Wolfs there appears to be quite some interest among the smaller regional zoos in oz for them, I am sure TWPZ have none of them in its collection anymore!

BennettL likes this.