Join our zoo community

ZSL London Zoo Personal vision of London zoo - Part 2

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Cat-Man, 19 Aug 2011.

1. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Just spring to mind that I haven't uodated in a while:p
    Thanks for your advice mate:)
    I think I'll stick with lion on the mappins (even with the fence), and I agree its unlickely they'd get a pride that size, so I'd stick with the trio they have.
    Thanks for your advice on the casson, would you prehaps recomend an open topped orang enclosure (prehaps without the gibbon?) But I agree, I was thinking of expanding the tapir enclosure to where I said the cloded leopard enclosure would be, and possibly including.a troup of dusky langur?, opinions?

2. Cat-Man

I think I'll press on! I won't finish my plan tonight, but I will give you my next exhibit. This will completely transform the lion terrace, the lawn to the east of the Casson + part of The current Childrens zoo. It would be remnamed 'Czechuan Wild China Trail' to make it more realistic, underneith every english sign, would be the same language in Chinese.
    Onto the animals!
    The first enclosure in the trail would be a walkthrough aviary, with chinese birds, mainly phesents amoung others. The next
    Would be a thickely planted enclosure for a pair of chinese goral. These would be viewed from across a dry moat, there would be lots of thickets, some bamboo screening for privacy. Next on the trail would be a small rounded enclosure for 1.1 red panda. The enxhibit would be centred around a large oak tree, so plenty of climbing for the panda. This would lead to a rocky backed enclosure for 1.1 female snow leopard. There would be a lot of rocks + tall grasses, and large fake tree's for them to climb on, making them clearly visable for passing visitors. One of the highlights of the zoo would be the feeding of the snow leopard, in which large chunks of meat would be placed on high points around the exhibit so that visitors would be able to see the snow leopard too there full climbing potential. Visitors would Continue down the path to a sign saying Czechuan Panda Reserch Station. This would be a round hut, explaining ZSL's conservation efforts with panda in the wild. From this Hut you would get areal views of 1 of the Panda enclosure (the whole complex would contain 2.2 Giant Panda, unlickely I know, but still). As you continue there would be glass viewing windows, raised walkway + dry moat view of the Giant Panda. Each enclosure would have large rocks, tall tree's so the Panda could climb if they wish, and a small pool for the Panda to play in should they want too. The exhibits would be much like DC Zoo's exhibit. As you continue (this will be brief coz I got to get too bed) there will be enclosure for 1.1 sichuan Takin, 1.1 Amur Leopard, (in part of the current childrens zoo) a large enclosure for Blue Sheep, Markhor and Himilaian Tahr. The path would continue on 1 half of the lubetkin pool which would again be handed over to Chinese Alligator. The final Exhibit on the trail would be given to 1.1 Clouded Leopard(not very chinese-ey, but I want to fit them into the zoo and they do fit the boot), then you would exit on the as Expected Panda Shop, face painting + Bamboo Cafe. There will be more to come later, but what are your thoughts + opinions?, good effective use of the space?, I do crave your opinions:), night all, cat-man

Last edited: 29 Aug 2011
  3. Cat-Man

Inside the panda hut, there would be chinese reptiles + amphibians. There would also be viewing into one of the Panda day rooms, whilst the others would remain off show to encourage breeding of the Panda, and hopefully this time around london would succesfully Breed Giant Panda, they would also invest in Artificial Insemination Methods if the natural mating dosent work out
    Yours, Cat-Man:)