Join our zoo community

Perth Zoo Perth Orangs- Puan and HsingHsing.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Pertinax, 2 May 2007.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So is it still about five seperate enclosures with a curved covered public passageway in front and you view the animals through glass? I think the walls behind were of brick and there was a dry moat at the front of each exhibit when I saw it. The enclosures were rather like 'yards' -some grassed, and some concrete floored, climbing frames were metal.

So my guess is the original enclosures have been upgraded, not a new exhibit?

2. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

it began in 2002 with the development of a prototype-style exhibit. this was new, with new viewing bay, walls, no moat, new viewing platform. it is located right next door to the world of primates exhibit.
    the older orang exhibits further up the hill have been refurbished with the installation of the new climbing strutctures etc, original glassed in viewing bays remain but reinterpreted to illustrate changed husbandary practices.

3. Pertinax

Okay, I understand now- one completely new(2002) enclosure and the original enclosures have been upgraded too. That sounds a good compromise financially.

4. Pertinax

Perth Orangutan Update.

Melbourne's 'Santan' and Perth's 'Dinar' were both born at Toronto Zoo, (in 1977 & 87 respectively) but from two different sets of w/c parents, so they are not related at all. One parent of each was still alive at Toronto in 2002.

At Perth, the old female Puan has(?) four daughters living, Puteri, Puspa,Punya and Pulang(her last offspring born 1993.). All her offspring (including several males,- Puntjak,Pusung, Puloh)) were fathered by her mate Atjeh. He also fathered another female(utama) with one of his daughters.

The Singapore -born male HsingHsing has (at least)three offspring, one each from Puan's three older daughters.. These are Sekara, Temara and Negara and are all female. Temara was the one sent back to Sumatra for rehabilitation to the wild.

the Canadian born male Dinar arrived in 2004 and fathered a male baby to the female Sekara( see above) in 2005. This must have been the first baby born after the twelve year period of non-breeding.

5. Pertinax

I've just seen a photo by Palmelas of HsingHsing in his enclosure at Perth. The climbing equipment is a huge improvement from what I saw some years back when it was just a simple tall metal climbing frame. I presume this is still one of the original enclosures, but drastically remodelled now?

6. Pamelas

Pamelas Member

The exhibit that Hsing is in is a new one, built a couple of years ago. The others are being/have been modified for the new towers. Hsing's exhibit is the largest and he shares it with Utama.

7. Pertinax

1. Does that mean Dinar, Sekara and their baby are living in one of the original enclosures?

2. Do you think they are hoping to breed from Hsing and Utama, or are they together just for company?

3. Is Puan now living alone or still with her last daughter?

8. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

What is the Perth orangutan situation now? Who is there and who has fathered the young born a few years ago (2009 I believe)?