Join our zoo community

Perth Zoo Perth Zoo never had gorillas did it?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Grant Rhino, 15 Nov 2017.

1. Grant Rhino

Grant Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was having a chat to a non-zoo nerd friend today, and she mentioned gorillas at Perth Zoo in the 1980s. I told her that Perth Zoo has never had gorillas.

After much debate, we agreed that I should double check this on here.

Perth Zoo has never had gorillas have they? Can someone please confirm or deny this?

Cheers, Grant

2. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Grant Rhino likes this.
  3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Perth had Black Macaques in the 1990s - that could explain it if she was a decade out.

In the 1980s they had chimps, which is the other possibility for error.

4. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'd say given the size difference, it's more likely she confused her memory of seeing a chimpanzee (rather than a macaque) but I've met a guy who swore blind he saw a herd of hippos at the Hamilton Zoo (I'm sure he meant rhino) so I shouldn't assume.

Perth Zoo had chimpanzee until 1992 and then again for less than a year in 1998-1999.

steveroberts likes this.
  5. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Gorillas - no. Chimps - as has been mentioned, yes. Sulawesi macaques - yes and could be the inspiration.
    But I wonder if it was the vocal pair of siamangs (drew more attention at the zoo, then were ever given credit), just up from the orangs in the old eagle aviary? Would fit the time line.

steveroberts and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  6. Cassi

Cassi Member

I remember a Gorilla at Perth zoo in 1982. Near the entrance turn right past the cafeteria in a big cage painted white looked like a bird cage. In front of now abandoned area that had cement monkey cages behind it. A water merri go round nearby and a fairy penguin castle water feature near the cafe. Your friend is right. One large male Gorilla was at Perth Zoo cruelly on display in a cage that looked like it could not stand up in that was far too small with a sign that said do no feed on the cage. I remember him stretching his arms and both hands were outside of the cage that is how large he was. 1990s the cage was rusted and still visible yet roped off as a no go area.

Last edited: 10 Oct 2020
  7. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is this chimp cage the one you refer to?

Perth Zoo

8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

This sounds like the chimpanzee cage. I suspect most people probably aren't aware of just how big adult chimpanzees are when seen up close.

9. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was in correspondence with the Director of Perth zoo at the time and no there were never Gorillas at the zoo!

Jambo likes this.
  10. Cassi

Cassi Member

Were you at the zoo in the 80 s ?
    There was one that definitely looked like a gorilla.
    Not a chimpanzee.
    More than twice the height and weight of a human man.
    Not a silverback.
    Western gorilla. All black. Chimpanzees were in a block of pens and a quarter it's size. Not even close. I have never seen any animal that big before or since. It was enormous.

Cassidy Casuar likes this.
  11. Zoofan15

The zoo director told @Zorro there were no gorillas at Perth Zoo; the studbook lists no gorillas at the zoo; and the zoo held multiple chimpanzees during that time period. I think you have your answer.

PS. I’ve never heard of any ape outside of Science fiction that was more than twice the height of a human. :p

Nisha, Jambo, Tafin and 1 other person like this.
  12. Cassi

Cassi Member

Attached Files:

13. Cassi

Cassi Member

14. Cassi

Cassi Member

15. Zoofan15

That’s all very impressive, but the largest gorilla that ever lived was 1.95m. That’s not even close to “more than twice the height of a human male” is it?

Jambo and Tafin like this.
  16. Cassi

Cassi Member

Not all humans are 6 ft plus are they ? Some are 5ft. Quite a size difference in comparison. Taking into acount double the weight I was refering to. I have never seen a gorilla there since then. It did appear bigger than the orangutans. If you didn't see what was in the white cage how would you know ? Maybe it was on loan from another zoo and not permanent. Therefore not on record. I am not the only person who remembered seeing it surely. Hows your memory?

17. Cassi

Cassi Member

18. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The thing is this is where memory begins to play tricks. Adult male gorillas are from 1.4 to 1.8 metres high and between 136 and 227 kg in weight, and they would be silverbacks. Females are noticeably smaller. Western gorillas also usually have a silvery grey wash through their hair and often have a reddish forehead. Check some photos online if you don't believe me.

A male chimpanzee can be a very impressive animal and can be as large as a female gorilla, as well as having all black skin and hair. I would think it quite possible that a large male chimp may have been separated from females and juveniles, and so by comparison seem much larger.

Having said that talking to a mate I have been told that Perth did have a Director in the '60's and '70's, Tom Spence, who was a primate nut. He used to have one of every primate species he could lay his hands on. It is possible that he had one gorilla. However my friend thinks this is extremely unlikely, if there was a gorilla everyone would have known it, and they certainly did not have them during his time in the '80's and '90's.

For myself I remember going as a child to Taronga Zoo in the late 1960's and making quite an effort to see "King Kong" as the only gorilla in Australia. In 1974 I did work experience at Melbourne Zoo and was introduced to their new juvenile pair as the only gorillas in Australia other than those at Taronga. Later in the 80's and early 90's I was involved in Melbourne Zoo's Friends, and so followed closely the development of the rainforest and the integration of the last pair from Taronga, leaving according to their publicity to Melbourne again being the only zoo in Australia with gorillas.

Jambo and Cassidy Casuar like this.
  19. Cassi

Cassi Member

Yes I remember 1 only. Not multiple. Possible? Well the aviary I remembered was similar to this pic I found. Yet smaller. I recall it being circular an unattached from a building in the 80s. This was before my time 50s and 60s. Maybe it was an extremely large chimp ? Maybe it was a Gorilla ? They look different to me though.

Attached Files:

20. Cassi

Cassi Member

This is the primate I remembered seeing at Perth zoo. 1980s

Attached Files: