Join our zoo community

Perth Zoo Perth Zoo News 2013

Discussion in 'Australia' started by zooboy28, 23 Jan 2013.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

New year, new thread.

First news is the birth of two Cassowary chicks on New Years Eve, the first at the zoo since 1954!

Cute photos accompany story here: Raising cassowary – it’s men’s work | Perth Zoo

I had no idea the species was this endangered, although it appears to occur in greater numbers in New Guinea. Wish we had some in NZ.

2. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

I think I also remember reading that two juvenile American Alligators have gone on display in the new entrance area, I believe from either Australia Zoo or Australian Reptile Park.

3. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

It was three, from Australia Zoo, which was posted on the old news thread: http://www.zoochat.com/24/perth-zoo-news-222266/index7.html

4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does anyone know how the Western swamp turtle breeding programm is doing and is Perth Zoo still the only zoo with this species ?
    I somewhere also that there is a species of Blue-tongued skink living only in the neighbourhood of Perth and was only re-discovered for some years. Does anyone know more about this species and is it also kept at Perth Zoo ?

5. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There's also a western swamp turtle in SA. I can't remember now whether it was at Adelaide Zoo or Cleland WP. I think the zoo. It could have died, I guess, but I definitely saw one on my July 2011 trip there.

The blue tongue species you're thinking of is probably the Pygmy blue-tongue which lives in a small area outside Adelaide, not Perth. The Adelaide Zoo also had someof these when I was there but I wasn't fortunate enough to spot them.

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

7. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

that again, we were talking about the possibility of an open range maybe 8 years ago.

9. Chlidonias

10. vogelcommando

On Zooborns Perth Zoo provides some information and some nice pictures of a Pygmy Rock Wallabie or ´Nabarlek´. It was found in the pouch of a road-kill several months ago and it seems to be the only Pygmy Rock Wallabie in captivity worldwide !

11. Chlidonias

Brilliant! A good reason to return to Perth. He is already on show in the nocturnal house.
    Norbert the Nabarlek: Pint-sized Ambassador | Perth Zoo

12. epickoala123

epickoala123 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This Banded Knob-tailed Gecko hatched off-display on 4 March at Perth Zoo. Found in the Pilbara region of West Australia, this is the fifth Gecko of its kind to hatch at Perth Zoo since 2010. The Gecko weighed 2.18g when it hatched. The youngster’s older siblings can be seen in the zoo's Nocturnal House.

epickoala123

13. Chlidonias

can you please start adding links when putting news on threads, instead of just copying an isolated fragment of the article.

14. epickoala123

epickoala123 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

15. Chlidonias

16. vogelcommando

Nice to hear that orangutans from zoos are released into the wild but I guess the few spots were this would be possible, would be used better for the countless orphans in the rehab-centres on Sumatra and the same is true for Borneo ofcourse ! The zoo-animals should be used - at least in mine opinion - for zoo-breeding programms and education of the fate of this marvelous species !

17. Chlidonias

that is true to a large extent. Releasing one or two zoo orangutans (or gibbons, or whatever) to the wild may seem inconsequential, especially when there are large numbers in the rehab centres there: however it can be introducing new genes to that local population, and also it does play an important role in experimentation. Zoos crow all the time about how they are conserving species and how those species will eventually be reintroduced to the wild. Actually doing so with animals not needed for the overall zoo populations helps show what does and doesn't work.

18. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

I agree; scarily, the day might come when conservationists need to fall back on whatever knowledge is gained through this program as they restore or start new wild populations.
    For rehab animals that cannot be released, it would be good to see their genes brought into the global ex-situ program.

19. Chlidonias

20. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Perth is a bit of a special case as they have bred a large number of Orangutans over the years and are in a position where they have surplus animals for such a reintroduction scheme. I think within Australia both Adelaide and Melbourne have sufficient animals of their own anyway(Adelaide have had Perth-born animals in the past) so it may not be that easy distributing more offspring from Perth in zoos further afield anyway. Their genes are already in Europe through the male Puluh(born at Perth) breeding at Chester and his eldest son and daughter who are now breeding in European Zoos too.

So I think Perth represents a situation where such a reintroduction scheme is a very logical and worthwhile outcome, and as others have pointed out, much valuable experience can be gained from this.