Join our zoo community

Perth Zoo Perth Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'Australia' started by WhistlingKite24, 30 Jan 2020.

1. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Perth Zoo is preparing to release ten zoo-bred Numbats into Dryandra Woodland.

Article: Zoo Born Numbats Ready for Wild Release

JurassicMax and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  2. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  3. WhistlingKite24

The rescued Northern Rockhopper Penguin is now moving to a zoo in Singapore (Jurong Bird Park). It's a shame such a unique bird cannot be absorbed into one of the Australian collections but it's good he will be with his own kind.

Last edited: 15 Dec 2020
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. Tapir12

Tapir12 New Member

Hi everyone,
    I recently visited Perth Zoo for the first time and quite enjoyed it. The definite highlight was the nocturnal house. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me about the slow loris. I had no idea the zoo had one and was quite surprised and excited when I came across its enclosure. Do you know if there are any others in captivity in Australia?

5. WhistlingKite24

Perth Zoo only has one male and he is the only one of his kind in the Australasian region. He was imported along with a female (who is now deceased) from Singapore Zoo in 2018 after being taken into care. Here is more about them when they arrived: Slow Lorises at Perth Zoo

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Melbourne has also kept Slow lorises on/off again. I think most individuals have been rescued from smuggled in the country. Would be nice for the region to show some actual interest in a nocturnal prosimian. Good PR value given the pet trade angle.

Kifaru Bwana and Zorro like this.
  7. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not with the current trend to downsize collections! ;)

Zoofan15 likes this.
  8. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Well I agree it isn't likely. However several zoos have noc houses so they need to fill them with something! Slow lorises don't take up that much space, aren't difficult to look after and as I mentioned have good PR value. Adelaide have got/getting galagos so it's not impossible, but I suspect there is no will. Need one of the private zoos to get on board.

Zorro likes this.
  9. Zorro

I agree with you 100%. But as been mentioned by another member the other week as Melbourne has phased out species that space is replaced with more of the same species of animals they are already showing.
    As for the smaller private zoos they are already punching up and above their weight class, One can only expect the smaller zoos to do so much on a much smaller budget than the state run government zoos.

tetrapod and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  10. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

Here's the thing about zoo phase-outs in Australia: The ZAA members flip flopping on commitments actually goes both ways. They phase out, only to bring them or a very similar species back. The truth is the zoos are absolutely atrocious at managing species and for all we know might actually be doing more harm than good half the time by "dead-ending" genetic lineages.

So don't be surprised if you see loris come and go.

BTW, Melbournes two slow loris where two different species (though at the time classified as subspecies) one was a Bengal (mainland) loris, the other a Sunda. Neither where ever on display (much to my disappointment) instead used for school groups I believe.

Zoofan15 and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  11. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

I probably should have written:

The STATE FUNDED zoos are are absolutely atrocious at managing NON-PROGRAM species.

Zorro likes this.
  12. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Probably. I think you are talking about personality issues as much as anything, ie there is a new Board/Director/Curator who has a different vision to the last Board/Director/Curator. Then there is the issue that one or two animals does not a program make. Animals may be brought in with the hope that others will take them up, and when nobody does are allowed to die out. I have to say though, that it rarely matters from a genetics/conservation point of view. I do understand it is disappointing from the point of view of the zoo goer interested in seeing a large and diverse collection.

13. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have to say the greatest issue this causes is the start-stop mentality on what species are in versus what are out. It’d be nice to see some zoos commit to certain species long term with they enthusiasm with which they acquired them; by showing the initiative to replenish the population with new imports as and when they’re required.

Zorro likes this.
  14. Zorro

I agree they should be better committed to certain species than they are thats been one of the problems plaguing the zoos in our region. To many stop starts with too many species sounds like bad management and theres a whole list of species that would fit into this category!

Last edited: 21 Dec 2020
    Zoofan15 likes this.
  15. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@MRJ, I would look forward to that.

In the past though, I can think of a few examples where decisions to cut off a program seemed rather haphazard and what other Australian ZC-ers have described rings true. Most of these species did have a more robust presence in Australian zoos and with determination both from center and ZAA participating zoos f.i. Malayan tapir, sun bear, pygmy hippo and bongo might have fared differently.

I think that as a priority ZAA should build better relations with the authorities on importation procedures and that these do not take as long as we have seen with some species. If the bureaucracy takes hold what ensues is a lack of impetus and stagnancy in development of a program to a good level.

Further, I do feel the ZAA needs to focus more clearly on some overseas regions over others and the closeness of both S.E. Asia and the already existing links with Southern Africa could and should be strengthened and this will benefit the Australian zoo collections as well as ex situ conservation breeding coupled with in situ conservation programs.

Zorro likes this.
  16. Zorro

At the end of the day like any government type job people get paid whether they have more or less attractions for the zoo visitors to see and whether its well run or not. But for any private zoo who has to rely on visitor income is a different story and will strive harder to please the public.

Zoofan15 likes this.