Join our zoo community

Perth Zoo Perth Zoo News 2022

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Zoofan15, 3 Jan 2022.

Tags:
  1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I received a reply to my email to Perth Zoo. I was interested to know about the following:

Sumatran orangutan breeding:

There are no current breeding recommendations. Breeding is on hold due to the the future construction work on their exhibit and the upheaval caused by their transition to the new features of their habitat.

They have four females of reproductive age: Sekara (20/07/1990); Pulang (21/12/1993); Teliti (20/10/2009); and Lestari (09/01/2012). While no decisions have been made, Pulang is the most likely candidate.

Hamadryas baboon phase out:

A while ago I noticed their troop had been reduced to 1.2 elderly baboons: 1.0 Chad (28/04/2005); 0.1 Grimus (23/11/1996); and 0.1 Guni (11/01/1999) and wondered if they were planning to phase them out.

Regretfully, Perth Zoo confirmed this species is not accommodated in the masterplan and will be phased out upon the deaths of the remaining baboons. It’ll be sad to see Perth end their long association with this species.

2. IndianRhino

IndianRhino Well-Known Member

That's disappointing, to say the least. I thought that Dinar was introduced to Pulang and Lestari last year and was very hopeful that Pulang was pregnant... I was hoping 2022 would bring the Australasian region Bornean and Sumatran orangutan infants

When do they expect to finish up constructing and introducing the orangs to the habitat then? I hope Sekara and Pulang are both bred to Dinar as soon as possible and hopefully Sekara will have a female infant. This would set Perth up to have a 4th generation infant sometime down the line.

On a side note, the SSP usually doesn't recommend females to breed till they're 13-14 and I was wondering if that was the case over in Australia as well.

steveroberts and Patrick Keegan like this.
  3. Zoofan15

I share your disappointment!

Dinar was introduced to Pulang and Lestari last year. I was previously told they wanted Pulang to conceive first (rather than Sekara) as they wanted Lestari to observe her mother raising an infant. Lestari turns 10 years old this year. By the time Pulang does give birth, she’ll be well and truly past the critical learning period and likely independent of her mother.

Last I heard, construction was set to begin this year (though this wasn’t clarified in the email and may have changed). I’d anticipate completion by the end of 2023 approx, with breeding maybe reccomencing in 2024?

Yes, we have recently been following those age recommendations in Australasia (and for chimpanzees also). Melur at Auckland Zoo bred for the first time aged 14 years; and Sekara and Negara at Perth Zoo were aged 15 and 14 years respectively upon the birth of their first infants. Pulang was a little older at 18 years.

4. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Very disappointing to lose the baboons as they are the only African monkeys left as the zoo.

5. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The new African Savannah complex from the master plan is pretty much just centred around carnivores and ungulates. There appears to be plans to get Spotted Hyenas, Bongo and Eland.

StoppableSan likes this.
  6. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Have to agree our major zoos seem want to reduce the number of species held overall,What happed to Perth breeding group of Colobus monkeys

7. Jambo

Aside from the Great Apes, the only African monkeys left in the region are Hamadryads Baboon, Mandrill, Vervets (only at Werribee) and Black and White colobus.

In regards to the Colobus, apparently some of their individuals were sent to Melbourne over the years, and I’m assuming the others have died out. It’s a shame, as they bred them so well in the 80’s and 90’s.

steveroberts, Zoofan15 and Zorro like this.
  8. Zoofan15

A male named Bodie was sent from Perth to Melbourne and bred with a female named Clover to produce several offspring. They have four living offspring currently in the region:

1.0 Indi (2006) National Zoo
    1.0 Colby (2009) National Zoo
    1.0 Colin (2011) National Zoo
    0.1 Kipenzi (2012) Melbourne Zoo

It’s always a shame to see zoos phase out species, especially when they’re not replaced by a similar species as is so often the case.

Perth Zoo will be the second of our region’s main zoos to phase out Hamadryas baboons in recent years - the other being Wellington.

9. Zorro

Its a shame to see some of these exotics doing well and breeding then to see them start dwindling down to very low numbers until they are gone from our collections.considering how hard it is to import quite a few species into Australia one would wonder as to why our main major zoos don’t try to keep a minimum numbers.could it be just bad management or a long term plan to reduce species numbers for easier management and reduced costs? :rolleyes:

10. Zorro

I believe Adelaide imported three female Colobus from France last year so perhaps they might get a reprieve from joining the list of phase outs

11. Jambo

I believe Bodie is still alive and well at Melbourne today. He lives with his youngest daughter Kipenzi. Unfortunately it’s likely once these two die Melbourne will phase out this species.

It’s a shame to see Baboons being phased out of some zoos. They’re a real crowd pleaser. I believe most of the other Hamadryads Baboons in the region are descended from Melbourne’s troop.

12. Jambo

They did. They plan to create a breeding group at Adelaide which is exciting. The region hasn’t had a Colobus birth in a long time.

13. Zorro

Do you know of any updates since?

14. Zoofan15

They’re also a great source for behavioural studies given that troops usually number in the double figures. At it’s height, Wellington’s troop was the subject of several such studies.

Yes, that’s correct along with imports from the Netherlands and Poland. Both Melbourne, Darling Downs and Wellington have been proactive in importing new bloodlines which have diversified the genetics over time.

Adelaide has also bred well previously, but their troop has dwindled to 2.1 due to behavioural problems within the troop (exacerbated by the small size).

15. Zorro

Darling downs zoo also imported females from Poland

Patrick Keegan and Zoofan15 like this.
  16. Zoofan15

I think there’s been a lot of short term thinking - hippos being an example of this. Do we have this species now? Yes > Will these individuals be alive in five years? Yes > No problem.

Importing relies on support from within the region and when it’s lacking in other collections, those that are left with the species are faced with an uphill struggle. It makes it all the more impressive when zoos take the initiative to make imports, which often lead to other zoos catching on. Altina and their Maned wolves being an example of this.

Jambo, Patrick Keegan and Zorro like this.
  17. Zorro

So at the end of the day is there a group or body responsible for different species within the region?,or is it just left up to each zoo to decide if and who they should be talking to for the long term good of said species

Patrick Keegan likes this.
  18. Zoofan15

There’s people more qualified to answer this question than me, but from what I understand CITES I species can’t be imported without ZAA endorsement. Support is more likely to be given when there are multiple zoos pushing for it.

As for decisions within the region, while the species coordinator makes recommendations, the zoo has to give agreement for their animals to be transferred/bred etc. Ideally a discussion would take place her to reach an agreed solution.

steveroberts, MRJ, Jambo and 2 others like this.
  19. Zorro

Yes I was aware of the former. Also I know about species coordinators but I wanted to know if it goes to another level of species management where it is responsible to maintain said species so it does not reach a level where its become non viable within the regions zoos, then recommendations could be made regarding it.

Patrick Keegan likes this.
  20. Jambo

They currently have 2.4 Colobus monkeys.

0.1 Amanda (unk x unk) 00-00-1994 at Zoo Dresden, Germany; imported in 2020
    0.1 Charlie (Chadwick x unk) 00-00-2002 at National Zoo and Aquarium
    0.1 Zamba (unk x Amanda) 00-00-2004 at La Vallée des Singes, France; imported in 2020
    1.0 Jasiri (unk x Greystoke) 00-00-2008 at Monarto Safari Park
    1.0 Kyoda (unk x Masika) 00-07-2009 at Monarto Safari Park
    0.1 Adale (unk x Amanda) 00-00-2010 at La Vallée des Singes, France; imported in 2020

The plan is to breed the new females that were imported from Europe with the Monarto born males. I’m not sure if they’ve been introduced yet.