Join our zoo community

Perth Zoo Perth Zoo Releasing Another Orang

Discussion in 'Australia' started by LOU, 24 Apr 2010.

1. LOU

LOU Well-Known Member

2. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Zoo-based conservation in action.

:p

Hix

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is and very good to see. I hope a few other Zoos can follow Perth's example. In Europe some zoos are similarly almost overflowing with their Orangutan groups nowadays.

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I agree, allthough when you look at the Annual Reports it is said that both Borneans and Sumatrans are not breeding up to expected levels or desirability in terms of genetics.

What I have been advocating for years though is that any perceived extra surplus be used to prop up other regions' breeding programmes or provide individual orangs for release into the wild. As such Perth Zoo has been a stepping stone in this direction (just as PL/Howletts has been for gorillas).

It is just deplorable that not more zoo parks follow these examples (quite a number of species to think of here ...) and really in the vein of species conservation. It may not be significant in terms of numbers or the considerable expense involved ..., it is the highlighting and media attention and profiling for endangered species in the wild that does the trick (IMO). :D

5. Hix

I agree 100%. Too many zoos think conservation means keeping an endangered species. And if they actually breed said species, then they are leaders in the conservation of the species. Returning them to the wild is not usually in the game plan.

It also frees up valuable spaces for the species program - something important in a country like Australia where we have relatively few zoos.

:p

Hix

6. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

I had wondered about the worthwileness of this reintroduction, as wasn't going to do much towards helping the species in the wild. And especially as there are lots of wild born youngsters that need to be rehomed and this captive born would take space away from one of them. However I do see your point Hix and Kb so fair enough.

7. Hix

And further down the track when these animals are breeding, they may provide invaluable genetic material to the wild population.

8. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have often wondered why more zoo enthusiasts have not considered this.

There are, literally, hundreds of confiscated orangs waiting for a place in a rehab program. Some have been held in sub-optimal conditions for years awaiting their turn.

I have yet to hear a compelling argument for a zoo born animal to jump the queue.

To me, media spin is not a compelling argument.

Any other arguments that I could consider?

9. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have also wondered about this, but it may well be that most confiscated orangs seem to originate from Borneo. The Sumatran population is smaller and possibly less accessible to poachers?

I would argue that Howlett's reintroduced gorillas fall into the same boat...

10. Steve Robinson

Possibly ........ although I am told that there are plenty of Sumatrans awaiting there turn.

ZooPro, if you are back on deck would you care to give us an informed opinion on this subject.

I doubt that Perth would send captive born Orangs to Sumatra just for the publicity but I have so far been unable to ascertain just why their Orangs are able to take spaces that are needed by confiscated wild born animals.

11. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

Like everyone, I have my own thoughts and opinions on this issue, but unfortunately, I don't wish to share them on ZooChat, sorry.

12. Kifaru Bwana

Hi Steve,

I do agree that there is a huge back log in terms of re-releasing confiscated Sumatrans. The project area is Tigah Puluh and without the outside intervention or media attention it might already have folded. Logging interests have long had eyed the area ... which is prime habitat for many endangered species (tiger, tapir ... et cetera).

What the current status is of the re-wilding programme with confiscated Sumateran orangs I am not sure. I know most of the Jakarta zoo stock actually are Borneans and will be relocated up to some 10 back to W.Smits BOS organisation in Kalimantan. As for retraining confiscated orangs, it may take years ... before they get to that stage again after long captivity (which is same with the new male from Perth).

One arguement to consider: infusion of new genetic material in the current population.

Will now look for papers on genetics of the Sumaterans released or on release schedule.

13. Pertinax

I can't see why anyone thinks that confiscated Orangs in Sumatra should have priority over this single animal from Perth as far as rehabilitation is concerned. Both backgrounds are not disimilar as KB highlighted above while the Perth animal is only a single individual anyway, so cannot have much effect on using up 'places' in a rehabilitation scheme.

I would include all reintroduced Orangs, whether from rehabilitation centres in their native land, or foreign zoo bred ones, as having equal benefit to the wild population. The only difference to my mind is that if these two reintroductions from Perth can prove that Zooborn Orangutans are capable of successful longterm reintroduction (as appears to be the case with Temera) then they could in future provide an additional source for reintroduction schemes, if needed.

14. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

One difference I can see is that the Perth animal is guarenteed a good life if it reains in captivity. With scarce resources and large numbers of needy animals, the confiscated animals are perhaps more in need of the reintroductions. Would it perhaps not be better if Perth Zoo helped to fund the animals that are already there and in need. I could see that the cost of transferring the animal from Perth would be better spent on helping several animals already in situ.

15. Steve Robinson

Fair enough - I understand your position.

16. Pertinax

I think the value of this experiment is to see if this zooborn animal can successfully re-adapt to the wild- after life in a Zoo from Day 1, as the previous female has shown she can. I think this warrants the expenditure, because it has important ramifications for future zoo breeding, if we know whether these zoobred animals can(or cannot) be rereleased into the wild successfully to bulk up wild populations.

I would think any zooborn Orangutan would have a far better and more fulfilling(though less safe) life in the wild than in a Zoo. Also a point becomes reached where there are difficulties placing Orangutans bred in Zoos in other zoos and Perth may have reached that situation with their successful breeding programme now.(I am aware that Australian zoos are concentrating on this species but places for new animals, particularly males, will always remain limited). Also I am not sure how many potential rehabilitees(?) there are in Sumatra but, as pointed out above, I believe there are a lot less than for the Borneo population which is a lot larger.

I think for Sumatran Orangutans, rehabilitation from Zoos could be a very real tool to aid the wild population, so despite the cost and any 'queue-jumping' involved, I would definately support Perth's efforts in this.

17. Kifaru Bwana

On to that, I do feel the work by JAF/Howletts on captive-born lowland gorilla re-introduction in Gabon and Congo IS scientifically ground-breaking work.

Then again, I ALSO subscribe to the line of thought that once we do create a situation in zoos where we have surplus - whereas breeding restrictions are fine within a given cooperative breeding programme - for all purposes the WAZA/CBSG sponsored ethic of global species management becomes more and more diffuse as zoos and cooperative programmes than restrict breeding, neuter/sterilise individual animals and stop thinking/acting this ethic. Quite frequently cost-benefit analysis are also cited as an excuse.

I DO feel that zoos keep losing opportunities to contribute through global population management to in situ conservation simply in line with the above. Please do not cite the obvious examples of Arabian oryx, Hawaiian geese et al ... as I do not mean those, but e.g. Grevy zebra, Sumatran tiger .... Malayan tapir ... et cetera et cetera.

I am glad that some zoos like f.i. Port Lympne/Howletts and Dvur do not fear to tread new ground, but alas seem to be exceptions to the rule. The very reason they do not go with conventional conservation rationale, thought and activities sets them - IMO - apart from others and at the fore front of a new generation of conservation minded zoos.

18. Pertinax

There was a long time gap from the five standard and oft quoted examples of successful captive breeding and re-release; Arabian Oryx, Hawaiian Goose, Pere David Deer, Prezwalski Horse & Wisent- until Jersey Zoo pioneered work with their reintroduction schemes in Mauritus and elsewhere with their smaller Zoobred species, primarily reptiles and Birds. Since when many other places have followed suit since, chiefly with a wide variety of small or local/native species breeding and release schemes.

But I agree some of the larger species too, as you outline above, are potential subjects for reintroduction schemes from Zoos, especially where the Zoo populations have neared or reached full capacity. Howletts/PL have proved it can be done successfully with Gorillas & Black Rhino while Dvur have returned the Northern Whites back to Africa though that is a 'last ditch' scenario rather than a 'successful surplus' one.

I think Howletts/Port Lympne are (apart from Jersey) one of the few establishments which was actually founded with the aim of breeding and then returning species to the Wild. Though if you look at these two collections today, apart from the Gorillas and Rhinos few other species there are the subject of any other reintroduction schemes and I feel that in reality, they have, over time, become more like other conventional Zoos, designed more as public displays.

19. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Just to update this thread, Semeru died in the wild after being bitten by a snake: Much-loved orangutan dies | Perth Zoo

20. marmolady

marmolady Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Very sad news, it must be devastating for all those who worked with him. It's such a shame, it sounded like he had been progressing so well.