Join our zoo community

Perth Zoo Perth Zoo Releasing Another Orang

Discussion in 'Australia' started by LOU, 24 Apr 2010.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

I think that's waste of money, time and waste of zoo animals, to be released in the wild, when already there are orangutans on both Sumatra and Borneo, who are strugling to survive; The zoo animals are very valuable stock they shouldn't be released in the wild, unless the species in question is already extinct in the wild or it's wild population isn't self-sustainable and big conservation project is ahead to return the species in the wild, or if the captive population it's not self-sustainable and there is not possibility to bring in wild founders, as Frankfurt zoo will do or already did, with the South-central subspecies of black rhinoceroses.

Otherwise, zoo animals must be kept secure in the zoos and not wasted releasing them in the wild, when again, they are struggling a lot to survive day by day with all that poaching, deforestation, fires, etc.

Zoos should not feel guilty or obliged to release animals back in the wild, because they are already doing great job maintaining captive sustainable populations. Protecting wild animals in the wilderness is a major task for governments, not for zoos.

Also the Aspinal's zoos shouldn't release the gorillas in Africa, in my opinion.

The moto of zoo should be: breed wild animals and keep them secure in captivity, send them to other zoos for their population to expand; Only release them in exceptional circumstances.

Last edited: 7 May 2016
  3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Its worth pointing out Perth zoo are in the situation of having bred many Orangutans and they also have the largest group in Australia. This young male is therefore from a genetically heavily-represented zoo population. With only two or three other Australian Zoos holding the species and none of them needing him, he would likely have to be sent abroad anyway and still they might find it difficult to place him in another zoo. Using him as another experiment in release into the wild is therefore probably the best solution, at least in this instance, of how to deal with this particular situation.

4. Pertinax

Aspinalls only ever starting keeping/breeding Gorillas with a view to eventual relocation and release in Africa. Even nowadays their ethos is still largely seperate from mainstream zoos and as a result, though they do nowadays make more animal (including Gorillas) exchanges with other zoos, than previously, releases into the wild- where possible- still seem to remain their primary aim. The disaster that befell the Djala group of Gorillas when they were returned to Africa does not seem to have dented their enthusiasm in that respect.

Also, the Gorilla enclosures at both parks can only hold so many animals and they decided to stop building anymore enclosures for them a long time ago now. That said, I can't find any evidence of a Gorilla birth there for about five years- that may be chance, or represent a deliberate prevention of breeding.

Last edited: 7 May 2016
  5. Nikola Chavkosk

So sad for the captive western lowland gorilla population, waste of possibilities for producing more captive gorillas.

6. Nikola Chavkosk

Is that mean, that If I had a zoo with appropriate enclosures (and new zoo - without experience, but with some stay of experienced stuff), in Macedonia (ok developing small country), and appropriate plan for keeping orangutans, that I could obtain this surplus Sumatran orangutan from Perth or to obtain surplus ornagutans from other Australian zoos, or at least to obtain some of them on loan basis for possible future return to Australia?

The question should go to Australasian association of zoos and aquaria, but I like to read your opinion, Pertinax?

7. Pertinax

I would think for this particular animal, plans are already fixed for his transition to Sumatra. Obviously new holders of Orangutans do become established from time to time and receive stock which is deemed surplus in other collections, so a new zoo with suitable accomodation might well be considered as a new holder.