Join our zoo community

pets you want to have or are considering to get

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by Ortolan bunting, 29 Sep 2015.

1. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Might as well just open a zoo at that point. It's the only way you could afford to feed all of those.

TNT likes this.
  2. LowlandGorilla4

LowlandGorilla4 Well-Known Member

True, I hope that if I open a Zoo/theme park I would us this as a personal vacation area

German Zoo World likes this.
  3. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've got a small handful of species right now. I'd like to acquire a Lesser Hedgehog Tenrec, Short-Tailed Opossum, and Emperor Scorpion fairly soon. I'll also be getting the permits required to exhibit and own Striped Skunk and Northern White-Faced Owl soon.

4. birdsandbats

Northern White-faced Owl!? Cool! I've never seen that one, let me know where you'll be exhibiting it! :)

5. EsserWarrior

My friend is importing a pair from Europe. Once they start reproducing I plan on taking one in. I don't think they're common in the United States.

birdsandbats likes this.
  6. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

I used to have a crested gecko for three years but I was forced to give it away to a reptile store due to an injury that I sustained on my arm that prevented me from properly caring for her. I have long since recovered and I hope to own a gecko again of any species.

I've become a bit of an aquarium freak so I would like to have a bunch of different aquariums representing a region of the world. I think that would be kinda cool and enjoyable to work on. Right now I plan on doing a West African tank so maybe that will kickstart that who knows.

7. birdsandbats

Afaik there aren't any in public collections currently.

EsserWarrior likes this.
  8. EsserWarrior

I don't believe there are either. I'm pretty sure my friend is importing them from the Netherlands. She's working on building her aviary right now. I haven't even started mine yet... :oops:

9. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

How is your friend planning on getting these birds into the states? White faced owls are CITES II so fall under the "protection" of the United States Wild Bird Conservation Act. It makes import virtually impossible unless they are an improved breeding center by USFWS, which is virtually never handed out to private individuals or smaller orgs, especially now.

Not to be a buzzkill, but I highly doubt your friend will end up being able to import these birds.

10. EsserWarrior

I haven't dug into the details between her and the importer, so I couldn't tell you for sure. I believe the owner of the owls is going to give them to someone else, who is then going to import them.

11. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is either species really present? I appear to be the only one to have uploaded photos of white-faced owls in the states recently, from Sacramento Zoo. I can only find a reference at Bronx and a older photo from Houston but no other reference to either white-faced owl on the forum for the US.

12. Yoshistar888

Yoshistar888 Well-Known Member

For me I would like to own a Spotted Python, small pythons which need adequate space and room for climbing but like horizontal space as well. Care is apparently relatively easy but I have never kept reptiles before. I do not want a carpet python (yet at least)

13. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'll need to restock my 10g after my lone WCMM dies. I currently have 2 Peacock Gudgeons.

Most likely option will be a Papua New Guinea biotope.

But I would want to invest in a pea puffer in the future.

Outside of fish, I want a male Eclectus Parrot, an Elongated Tortoise, and maybe a Fire Skink.

14. Great Argus

Peacock Gudgeon are gorgeous fish, I'd get them again but they wouldn't work with my current tank.

I love Fire Skinks, that's the one exotic reptile I actually really want to own. I've got my eyes more on fish and birds myself. :p

ZooBinh likes this.
  15. EsserWarrior

I've seen a few in education programs, but they're pretty uncommon. They appear to be fairly common in Europe and Asia though.

Great Argus likes this.
  16. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Peacock Gudgeons are so pretty. I mean I"m glad I held on to them because they've really grown since I've got them.

Great Argus likes this.
  17. groundskeeper24

groundskeeper24 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'd love to have some egernia skinks. They live well in groups, stay small, and bear live young. All this plus they look incredibly unique. They cost quite a bit, but in time I'd like to get a group of 3-4 stokesii.

18. Noah Butas

Noah Butas Well-Known Member

I Want the following

These I know I'll be able to get|
    A Sulpher-crested Cockatoo <
    A Bearded Dragon <
    Gouldian Finch <
    Budgerigar <
    The more exotic ones

A Red-eyed Tree Frog
    A Prevost's Squirrel

EsserWarrior likes this.
  19. EsserWarrior

I wouldn't consider a Red-Eyed Tree Frog to be exotic. They're not terribly expensive or uncommon. They shouldn't be hard for you to acquire or provide space for. (An 18x18x24 or 12x12x18 Exo-Terra should suffice, depending on how many individuals you have. :p)

Josh's Frogs has captive-bred individuals for $50!

20. Great Argus

I seem to recall the one I saw in my local Petco a month or so ago was $35. Not the first time I've seen the species for sale in person either.

EsserWarrior likes this.