Join our zoo community

Petting Zoo with some exotic wildlife

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by Corax, 3 Apr 2017.

1. Corax

Corax Active Member

I've been dreaming of founding my own zoo for years and no other path in life seems to satisfy me. However, since I'm no millionaire, I was thinking that maybe most of the animals should be domestic ones. That seems to be the way here in Finland. Only about 10 real zoos/aquariums here.

Additionally there would be some exotics. Obviously no tigers, polar bears or monkeys, but something like New Guinea singing dogs and tropical aquariums. Some rescues, others animals that I really admire.

Issue #1: Is 5 figures enough for startup?
    Issue #2: How to make it clear enough which animals are "pettable" and which are not?
    Issue #3: Zoology, veterinary science, a vocational degree in animal care or something else?

2. nicholas

nicholas Well-Known Member

#1: Could be, if it's 5 figures in Euros, and you already have the land and a steady income which will finance the first few years.

#2: Have the pettable animals in walk-thoughs or in arms reach, and the ones who are not out of reach.

#3: I'd recommend something whcih will give you a high salary and lots of free time. Don't quite know what that would be though.

Don't give up! If you really want something and work towards it, it will happen.

3. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Maybe you could try getting animal that are very say to source, but are still considered exotic. You could get reindeer and American bison, both of which are commonly farmed in Finland. As you already said, farm animals and aquariums are great ideas! You could also do a small aviary, with birds like pheasants, peafowl, cockatiels, budgies and Indian ring-necked parrots. You could also have a small reptile house, with things like bearded dragons, leopard geckos, ball pythons, chameleons and other easy to source Reptiles and amphibians that the public would still find enjoyable! Good Luck!

4. SealPup

SealPup Well-Known Member

Try conservative/feral landraces such as Camargue cattle and Exmoor ponies. Then there is a theme to the domestics. Bactrian camels and (of course) domestic reindeer would fit.

With aquaria you can do a lot but beware the deceptive running costs. Herps and terrestrial inverts are cheaper - no filtration neccessary. Small mammals and birds also do fine in landscaped vivaria.

5. Kawekaweau

Kawekaweau Well-Known Member

Wouldn't really be a petting zoo (though it could be a section), but a "cold safari" park with bison, reindeer, landraces, maybe even yaks, Tarpan-like horses, Bactrian camels and moose depending on laws sounds quite unique. Would need more than five figures though.

6. overread

overread Well-Known Member

Generally speaking petting animal thoughts:

1) Common domestic animals can be left to be petted without staff supervision all the time. Tame horses, donkeys etc... can often be within petting environments without needing staff to be on-hand every hour; although frequent visits would be advisable.

2) Exotic animals might well need staff on hand at all times the animals are within public access. This is not only to ensure that nothing untoward happens, but also to help ensure that the people are made more aware of "how" to pet those animals in a safe and positive manner.
    Some people pet far too hard others might be tentative or shy (which can cause annoyance in some animals).

3) Having staff on hand helps to reinforce the messages that your zoo is conveying. You're already increasing tactile contact so adding in an education and awareness element is a big boon.

4) All animals, even domestics, should have their condition monitored with provision to closing off individuals or groups periodically. Petting can cause stress in animals; esp non-domestics when it happens in volume.
    This is why many zoos have open enclosures where you can walk in with the animals, but you are not allowed/encouraged to pet them. It lets them remain open for more interaction; but helps remove the over-petting or incorrect petting element.

5) Insurance concerns - esp for exotics even if its a very tame animal you might find insurance goes up a lot if you allow free petting. Having staff on hand or even having petting only in specific organised events might help provide sufficient safeguards to keep the insurance premiums lower.
    Note that this area might well be one of the biggest barriers.

6) CCTV - you might find it prudent to keep good recorded watch on the enclosures. This to help in any issue that might arise such as someone getting bitten trying to sue the zoo. If you've video evidence it could help your case significantly.

7. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So none of the above. :D

Maybe you should start to think of your future zoo, if you want it to be more than another senseless ZC pipe dream, as a business. And just as with any other business, you should target questions such as:
    - What is my prime customer base?
    - What services and goods can I offer, to what price?
    - What competition do I have and how can I distance myself from them (USPs etc.)?
    - How do I generate a profit?
    - What are the legal requirements for zoos in Finland and your particular municipality?
    etc. etc., before debating what fancy critters you want to keep within it (even though the latter is the most attractive aspect for you).

And maybe you should gain some practical husbandry experience to see what species you're good at keeping; the "easy maintenance" domestic species might not be the right ones for you.

HOMIN96 and nicholas like this.
  8. Corax

Corax Active Member

Thanks for the replies. I got ahead of myself. Zoos are a difficult and expensive venture. I just wish I could work with animals.

9. Corax

Corax Active Member

Would a small reptile house be more feasible economically? I'd imagine the main running costs would be electricity (heat, light), water and food. Startup would include a proper building, construction of the exhibits and the animals themselves. Am I missing something? Income is not that important, I have other plans for a job.

SealPup likes this.
  10. overread

overread Well-Known Member

Reptiles have the downside that they are not that interesting compared to mammals - at least for the public. I suspect most reptile house-only setups are either sites that breed for the pet-trade and are open to the public or private collections made public and supported by other enterprises.

Certainly a reptile setup is not bank-breaking so long as you've got a building and a site to locate it; since most reptiles are fairly easy to keep.

Of course if you go for larger things like crocodiles things get more complex and expensive. You'd have to research the habitat needs; safety considerations etc.. for each individual species you'd wnat to keep.

11. Batto

I strongly disagree. Depending on the reptiles in question, the public is interested in them, as exemplified by their popularity as exotic pets and the existence of reptile zoos (of which many are not pet-trade suppliers). The "advantage", though, is that reptiles do not range that high on the public emotional scale as cute & cuddly mammals. So when a bunch of snakes die at Knoxville Zoo, hardly anyone bets an eyelash. But if a single zoo giraffe or gorilla are killed, the world goes bonkers...

That's also incorrect. Keeping reptiles adequately and properly on a professional level (and that's what a public husbandry should be on) is NOT fairly easy or inexpensive. Electricity and heating (which can be two separate things), the technical equipment (lamps, control modules, thermo-/hygrometers etc.), the tanks (including fake backgrounds, stones, plants etc.), the general equipment (alarm systems, safety locks, hooks, gloves...), nutrition for both your animals and the food animals, visitor amenities, advertisement, veterinary bills, illogical yet effectual legal stipulations...both in regard to initial acquisition and running costs. You wouldn't believe how hard (and expensive) it can be to find an insurance company willing to insure your public reptile exhibition! Furthermore, Finland isn't (unfortunately) one of the countries where you can keep reptiles outdoors most of the time - which would save you at least some money in regard to heating and eletricity.
    But foremost: do you have any real passion for reptiles? 'cause if not - don't even get started.

If you want to work with animals @Corax, start as an extern at a local farm, animal shelter, veterinary clinic, pet shop, zoo etc. to see what you can do and in what you're actually interested in.

SealPup likes this.
  12. Corax

Corax Active Member

I do love reptiles and especially amphibians. But it does seem difficult to work with them professionally. Actually my dream career would be researching herps, bugs or fish, but the opportunities in Finland are very much limited.

SealPup likes this.
  13. nicholas

nicholas Well-Known Member

If you want to be a researcher, then do by all means persue that career. I'm sure Finland's universities has an exchange program.

14. SealPup

There are degrees of difficulty in reptiles but don't be put off: the problem is room humidity meaning desert and rainforest species don't do well in the same room. Yes heating bills matter: but all those heat lamps raise the ambient temperature of a room, collectively. Make sure the room is insulated and in summer ventilated. Whilst it is true there is much equipment for herps nowadays, big investments are not essential Most snakes do fine with a light bulb for heat. You can test humidity in the air, because your own body can sense "mugginess" meaning hygrometers are a bit of a rip off. People ignore ventilation and air flow except oddly for chameleons: in small humid terraria a computer fan in a DIY hood would be a good investment few bother to make.

Look for the Tampions book, The Living Tropical Greenhouse: it's about butterflies but it can help understand large room-sized vivaria and might give you some ideas. Hancock House provide several books on bird care. TFH mostly on fish and herps and terrestrial inverts. Microcosm on marines. The Baensch atlases for aquatics. Knowledge matters.

Last edited: 7 Apr 2017
  15. Batto

Do you actually keep reptiles, SealPup?

SealPup likes this.
  16. SealPup

Not now I am homeless: I kept and traded herps.

The problems I had were to do with ambient temperature and humidity in the rooms. When the ambient heat and humidity rises as you know you cannot keep desert and temperate vivaria in the same room. But people attempt this. Some zoos like Bangkok will regulate the microclimate of each vivarium. But small collections can't afford and don't need that kind of outlay. Most problems with herps that people had, including myself, like with birds and fish, are from a lack of common sense regarding things like room ambience, not a lack of expensive equipment.

17. Batto

Then you should know that it's a bit more complex than just temperature and humidity.
    A lot depends on the adaptions of the reptile in question to its original habitat, and how and if these can be replicated sufficiently to meet its requirements.
    Sure, you can keep several species of snakes just under a cheap heat source. Or even store them in racks, as it is commonplace in breeding ball pythons and other snake species these days.
    However, there are a lot of reptiles that would soon perish under such conditions (or suffer for a long time miserably clinging to life), because they are adopted to certain diurnal and/ or seasonal changes of temperatures, sunshine length / strength (adequate UV reinactment), retreats, bedding, social structures, husbandry elements (among others, plants) etc. [it's not just "desert" vs "rainforest"] that can't be replicated with your very basic setup. And the human body, due to its individuality, is not a very good meter for humidity. Furthermore, you completely ignored the aspect of adequate food, which is still a serious issue in various species.
    Yes, expensive equipment shouldn't replace actual knowledge, experience and common sense; but in the husbandry of certain reptiles, investing in such can be helpful and even necessary for the well-being of the animals.
    Alas, as you want to exhibit the animals to the public, you have to invest in your presentation; nobody is paying money to see a snake in a bare shoebox under a cheap light bulb, and will be happy to tell about it. And it's not very educational, either, nor mentally beneficial for the snake in question.

Swampy and SealPup like this.
  18. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Corax do you currently keep any herps or Aquariams?

19. SealPup

Batto: presumably he is just thinking of common pet trade herps given the nature of the collection planned.

20. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Regardless of how common the animal is, husbandry should never been taking lightly, whether it is about a leopard gecko or a false gharial. Especially in public husbandry, as it is the first place for lots of people to come into contact with animals and their husbandry, or indeed, the only place at all.

Batto, SealPup and Swampy like this.