Join our zoo community

Zoo Koki Pheasant enclosures

Discussion in 'Spain' started by ZOO KOKI, 3 Apr 2020.

1. ZOO KOKI

ZOO KOKI Member

New area for pheasants. We are completing an area to house more than 35 species of pheasants.

This is phase 1

IMG_20200213_162412.jpg
    IMG_20200213_162309.jpg IMG_20200213_162309.jpg IMG_20200213_162309.jpg IMG_20200213_162318.jpg IMG_20200319_105329.jpg IMG_20200319_115543.jpg IMG_20200319_115551.jpg

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

35 species is impressive. Very few zoos have pheasants at all.

FBBird likes this.
  3. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

We used to have a wide range of spp, both as a private collection and when we first opened to the public. Pretty much all have been phased out as the public are just not interested. Two generations ago perhaps, but not any more...

4. Arizona Docent

Too bad (though not THAT bad because they are not cats ;) ). My local zoo, Reid Park Zoo, is supposedly going to add a pheasant area as part of their upcoming Asia expansion (scheduled for 2022). It will be interesting to see what happens and how many species they get.

nczoofan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

How on Earth and when did we fall from grace here?

We may only show and become big ABC et cetera zoos, while failing to make a meaningful narrative of biodiversity conservation and education without an representative animal collection (as well as plants) we will ultimately fail dismally on conserving Planet Earth diversity and ourselves as a species. People will only want to conserve what they know and love. If they do not experience the diversity and ecologically useful roles of pheasants in the global ecosystems what values do we disown as a zoo community?

Antoine and Arizona Docent like this.
  6. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Maybe they need a massive PR drive. Worked for Meerkats.

7. Andrew Swales

Yes, you are right, I agree - but I fear we are facing practical problems and not theoretical ones, in the coming weeks and months.

FBBird and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  8. Carl Jones

Carl Jones Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The ABCs are the species people always want to see. Unfortunately others come in and out of fashion. While flamingos and large parrots are always in fashion others go through phases, pheasants, waterfowl, lorikeets, owls and diurnal birds of prey come and go.

9. Arizona Docent

Although I have not read the paper myself, I am familiar with the oft quoted piece by William Conway called How To Display A Bullfrog (or something close to that). I think he was onto something - if zoos really put effort into displaying pheasants (or whatever else) with enthusiasm, I think we could turn the tide. My local Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum has a few ABC animals and a lot of smaller ones (and a lot of non-animal exhibits) and people love it. This is partly due to a huge (largest I have seen) and enthusiastic docent program. I am not a plant person per se, yet one of my more memorable docent encounters there was learning about jojoba!

ZOO KOKI and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  10. Kifaru Bwana

Andrew, I really do think that zoos like museums and universities are educational facilities and I refuse to believe that this is not a public task - you know that most governments and public authorities have economised away everything public to the private sector, this includes culture, education and environment and conservation. It is a failing in the complex short term economic model we - as yet - keep adopting (despite numerous indications where we are failing ourselves, society, the environment and most importantly our only liveable planet.

ZOO KOKI likes this.
  11. Kifaru Bwana

I agree ...., we volunteers have an added value in PR and awareness that is tapped, yet ... not always valued in other ways (as well as the terms). I do personally feel it is a public and social responsibility ...

ZOO KOKI likes this.
  12. Andrew Swales

As I said, I do agree - but at a time when we are surviving day-to-day on public donations including children's pocket money, it might have to wait...

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  13. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

We'
    Maybe when times improve..... I've always fantasised about having appropriate bird species housed adjacent to a geographically appropriate charismatic mammal, like:
    *Red Panda with (not in the same enclosure obvs) Red-billed Blue Magpie & White-Eared Pheasant
    *Gaur with Red Junglefowl & Shama
    *Visayan Spotted Deer with Palawan Peacock Pheasant & Luzon Bleeding-heart
    *Yellow-throated Marten with Himalayan Monal and Slaty-headed Parrakeet

and my favourite, very hard to achieve...
    *Snow Leopard, Bharal, with Grandala, Blood Pheasant and Snow Pigeon.

Any or all of these, with appropriate landscaping, graphics and planting, could be very attractive and maybe take some attention away from the Meerkats

Antoine and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  14. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Yes, I wholly sympathise with your point of view, but it’s worth noting that despite being seen by People Like Us as being one of the must-see US zoos, the ASDM receives about 400,000 visitors each year, while the nearby, and as I understand it pretty average Reid Park Zoo gets 550,000 - possibly because of those ABCs.

Antoine and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  15. Arizona Docent

Years ago (early 1990's), San Diego Zoo had side-by-side exhibits for snow leopard and bharal. It may have been the only herd of bharal in the USA. They have sadly all since died.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  16. ZOO KOKI

ZOO KOKI Member

Yes now we have 28! and we dont have Polyplectron!

Arizona Docent and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  17. ZOO KOKI

ZOO KOKI Member

We are not thinking about the public. We are a small zoo we do not have to pay large amounts of money. We are thinking of hosting a large collection that serves as a reference center.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  18. ZOO KOKI

ZOO KOKI Member

It is not a fad for us. we have been raising pheasants for more than 25 years

www.faisanesdelmundo.com is one of our online educational projects.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  19. ZOO KOKI

ZOO KOKI Member

We are a small foundation. We have our ABCs (jaguars, lynx, etc ...) but we are making a great effort to preserve these species of birds (and others) from the neglect of private breeders and even zoos that want money above all else.

sooty mangabey, Mehdi and KevinB like this.
  20. Andrew Swales

Good luck with it. I have personally been involved with these birds since I was eleven years old, and they stand behind everything we have done since. Life has changed for us, but we send our very best wishes for your project.

FBBird and sooty mangabey like this.