Join our zoo community

Philadelphia Zoo Philadelphia Zoo 2010-2012

Discussion in 'United States' started by mstickmanp, 24 Jan 2010.

1. JBZvolunteer

JBZvolunteer Well-Known Member

The thing they are doing with their orangutans is almost the exact same thing that Milwaukee did with their bonobos. So, why is their so much hype on this section when they haven't even built the innovative part yet. Is it a because they just announced the cat and bear transfer that has caused such hype for also this section if so I think we have finally unleashed the power of new exhibits on the media. Kudos Philadelphia PR team!!

2. mweb08

mweb08 Well-Known Member

When did they open that at Milwaukee? Are there any pics? I didn't see any on this site.

3. JBZvolunteer

JBZvolunteer Well-Known Member

The Milwaukee one opened in june 2011

4. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It opened last June.

@JBZvolunteer: You beat me to it.

5. mweb08

mweb08 Well-Known Member

Well Treetop Trail opened last July, so pretty much the same time.

So no pics?

As far at Milwaukee's potentially similar exhibit not getting as much attention on here, well there's no pics and it's not a zoo that is well thought of or focused on here so I guess it comes down to the people that visit and/or pay attention to the zoo to mention these things to try to generate discussion on it.

6. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

7. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Personally if these trails are used to connect "pocket" habitats types that are adequately sized for the species that would give the animal a choice of where they want to go I say it would be an improvement. If it is just a long linear loop that is the exihibit I would say that is not an improvement. Thats just my opinion though.

8. mweb08

mweb08 Well-Known Member

It seems that Philly's trails go over and into guest walkways more so than the Milwaukee one.

I think the treetop trail is a big improvement because it allows the primates outdoor access, which they previously didn't have, plus it does have larger spaces around a few trees for the primates to explore. Not sure regarding these other exhibits. They aren't as good as the O-line at the National Zoo imo.

9. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I think these Trails also ad enrichment and exercise for the animals. Whether they can select habitat exhibits to inhabit, they still get to traverse large areas, pass trees and sights and smells.

In the greater scheme of zoo design, they are not my preference. But under circumstances such as these I cannot deny their benefits.

10. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

11. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I am curious to see the trail design for the hippos, giraffes, and rhinos. Is it for giraffes or zebras? If high in the air they already have the obstacle of making it strong enough to accommodate heavy mammals. But if they also add giraffes, they need to make it tall enough.

12. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

13. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

14. jusko88

jusko88 Well-Known Member

I agree with you snowleopard. another zoo that definitely needs a parking garage in the future is smithsonian national zoo.

15. jusko88

jusko88 Well-Known Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wXTOI4MRh4g

The new maned wolves are in the exhibit that held the painted dog. The reason why i say dog is cause when ive visted the zoo twice, both times only seen a single dog. But i have been told on here that there is more. idk but i like to find out what happen to the single dog or how many they had?