Join our zoo community

Philadelphia Zoo Philadelphia Zoo News 2014

Discussion in 'United States' started by BeardsleyZooFan, 6 Feb 2014.

1. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. Milwaukee Man

4. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

5. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I cannot find an official article confirming this subject, but my friend went to the zoo yesterday and was told the male red shanked douc langur died a couple weeks ago. The female still remains and is the last one in the United States.

6. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Isn't the female the older one?

This makes my visit over the summer even more urgent!!

~Thylo:cool:

7. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I really do hope they do the sensible thing and relocate this older female to Singapore or Koeln, preferably the former, so she may be still of use to her own species continued existence. It will have to happen pretty fast and … a lot of time has been wasted anyhow already! :mad:

9. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

10. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

11. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

12. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

13. Milwaukee Man

14. redghost007

redghost007 Member

my home zoo and realized I have never reviewed it. New cat trails are open. While neat I don't think they have the impact of the primate trails. But still a good city zoo. Alwaus=y a good day out. Hated it when the balloon was damaged over the winter and had to be deflated

15. ThylacineAlive

I should be visiting this zoo in about a week or so (baring any possible unforeseen circumstances) and I was just wondering if, for one, if anyone wanted me to photograph or look for something? Also, does anyone have any tips for me?

Finally, I was wondering if anyone could give me tips for the best possible chance of seeing the following:
    -Red-Capped Mangabey
    -Red-Shanked Douc
    -Black-and-Rufouse Elephant Shrew
    -Feathertail Glider
    -Short-Beaked Echidna
    -Striped Possum
    -Common ʻAmakihi

Along with any other species that might be difficult to see.

Thanks!

16. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

If you could take some photos showing the layouts inside the animal buildings (Rare Animal Conservation Center, Small Mammal House, etc.) that would be great.

17. zoo_enthusiast

zoo_enthusiast Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I think the best thing to do if you want to see the echidna, feathertail glider, and other residents of the Small Mammals House's nocturnal section is to visit that building as soon as the zoo opens at 10 am. The only turn off the lights at around 10:30-11 and some of the animals are surprisingly active at full light (most notably echidnas, but I also saw active feathertail gliders, jerboas, dormice, slow lorises, etc. during my last visit). Striped Possum is exhibited in the same building, but during my last visit in 2013 I did not see it, despite the fact that I came to see it in the morning, several times during the day, and right before the zoo closure. I saw pretty much every other resident of the Small Mammals House, but not the striped glider:(

Mangabey and Douc Langur were always easy to see in the Rare Mammals House, but that was before they built the tree-top trail. Now some of the primates in the Rare Mammals House are using the trail (and which one is unpredictable) and thus you may not see the specimens you are looking for in the building. However I think if you come back to the building again in a couple of hours, chances are you will see them all. Black-and-rufous Elephant-shrews live in the same building, and I never had any troubles seeing them - they were always quite active.

18. zoo_enthusiast

By the way, Philadelphia Zoo has one more nocturnal exhibit - for aye-ayes in the Primates Reserve. The aye-ayes are always pretty hard to see with the lights off, and I never visited that building early in the day. I am curious if they follow the same process as they do for the Small Mammals House and leave the lights on between 10-11 am. If they do, I wonder if aye-ayes are active enough to be seen with the lights on. Next time I visit the zoo I plan to find out, but it won't be this year

19. ThylacineAlive

Thank you zoo-enthusiast!:) I was planning on doing the Small Mammal House first so I'm glad that does help! I might try and plan it so I revisit the house right after the lights go off to see if that draws out anything I missed originally. The Aye-Ayes aren't that big a target for me since I saw the species at the Cincinnati Zoo last summer.

I'd assume the hoofstock species and the carnivores are all pretty easy to see as well, correct?

@mstickmanp, I'll see what I can do!:)

20. zoo_enthusiast

Hoofstock are fairly easy to see. With carnivores it depends on the species. I visit Philadelphia zoo about once a year (though did not visit this year) and some of the carnivore species I was able to see every time, but the others are more challenging. For example, when it comes to bears, the Himalayan bear and the polar bears were on view every time but Andean and sloth bears I only saw occasionally. Some of the great cats are rotated, so it was never possible for me to see all species on the same day.