Join our zoo community

Philadelphia Zoo Philadelphia Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United States' started by SharkFinatic, 9 Jan 2019.

1. LesulaMonkey

LesulaMonkey Well-Known Member

Are the wattled cranes named?

2. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yeah, now that you've put things in perspective it does certainly make sense. Still, the new "entrance" into Penguin Point does seem permanent, unless that gets converted into a training wall should the Zoo get any new polar bears.

3. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I thought about posting, I thought the new penguin exhibit was permanent? AFAIK Philly wasn't planning on obtaining polar bears again in the near future.

Edit: According a sign outside the exhibit, it seems they are interested in bringing them back, but recognize that it probably will not happen anytime soon.

StoppableSan likes this.
  4. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm pretty sure they're planning on building a new penguin exhibit eventually, although knowing Philly they may very well be in the old Polar Bear enclosure for quite some time.

~Thylo

StoppableSan likes this.
  5. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Do they even need a new one? The retrofit they have now looks pretty good to me.

6. ThylacineAlive

Maybe not. I would imagine that enclosure would work well for them.

~Thylo

7. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Only downside is, it's quite distracting thematically as it was a former polar bear facility. It is quite good functionally, but aesthetically it leaves something to desire. Honestly I'd build a new aviary for the penguins complete with a glass trail system built into the path (kinda like Calgary with their penguin setup) and bring in the inca terns, steamer ducks and other bird species endemic to thag region.) That'd be located near the entrance on the hypothetically soon to be former Impala Lawn. I would then retrofit the bear enclosures to have more realistic rockwork, more timeless architecture and even some elements of the old bear pits (wrought iron fences). Plus the opportunity to rotate and use overhead trails. (Polar bears would have an enclosure themed after a steep shingle storm beach in Alaska, sloth bears would have a dry forest environment mixed with axis deer (possible expansion?) and the Andean bears would have a cloud forest/montane environment complete with coati and side enclosures for viscacha and guinea pig).

Elephantlover and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  8. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Female red pandas, Jaya and Leela are now on exhibit together in the main red panda exhibit. As of now, Khumbie, the male red panda, is in the exhibit next door that rotates with the Canada lynx. I believe this red panda trio is not recommended to breed together (maybe that will change in this future).

StoppableSan likes this.
  9. ThylacineAlive

I mean with two bear species already present I don't think too many guests are complaining about the penguins. A new enclosure for them and other birds would be nice, though. The zoo has already brought in steamer duck.

~Thylo

Elephantlover and StoppableSan like this.
  10. blospz

• A Mexican hairy dwarf porcupine, retired from the education department, is now on exhibit with the Hoffman's two toed sloth in the Small Mammals House. They have a similar layout as the aardvark/meerkat exhibit where he has a den to go into and visitors can look into the window. He does have access to the main sloth exhibit, but he mostly stays in his den. The zoo will eventually replace the glass window since it's so scratched up.
    • The zoo is working to install a heating system to the newer exhibit for giant otters so they have access to it in the colder months. They already have one in their main exhibit.

11. CarLover

CarLover Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The new zoo map shows that the wattled cranes will be living in Bird Valley, and there are going to be gouldian finches in the KidZooU, and alpacas outside, near where the turkeys are, probably in their exhibit. The balloon is being replaced by a new attraction, and there is that new Urban Green restaurant next to the Treehouse.

https://philadelphiazoo.org/Visit/Map-(1)/ZooGardenMap_Summer2019.aspx

12. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've been wondering if they were going to replace the balloon, I haven't seen it used in a really long time, even on days with great weather for it. Looks like it's going to be yet another rope/climbing type thing.

The Lego exhibit, zoo keys, etc. all premiered today.

StoppableSan likes this.
  13. CarLover

Oh yeah, and a staff member I know there also told me that there are spotted whistling ducks now that will be going to Wings of Asia but are currently in the Bird House. There are also Bernier's teals as well, also known as Madagascar ducks.

14. CarLover

Reader's Digest named the Philadelphia Zoo as the best zoo in Pennsylvania.

They went through each state and named the best zoo of each state.

15. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

16. CarLover

There was a special on 6abc about the zoo, and revealed some of the new animals, like great blue turacos in the McNeil Avian Center.

StoppableSan and ThylacineAlive like this.
  17. blospz

The zoo now has crested coua on display in McNeil Avian Center.

18. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

19. blospz

20. CarLover

I went to the zoo yesterday and I saw that they have a giant domestic rabbits out on display in an enclosure in the chicken yard. Plus, they have a prehensile-tailed skink on exhibit at KidZooU in an enclosure that was originally meant for the budgies but they never used it. I also saw the Barbary striped grass mice. In the reptile house, the sailfin lizard and black monitor exhibit is closed off, the Solomon Island Boa is back on exhibit where the crested gecko was and finally there is a Chinese stripe-necked box turtle living with the crocodile lizard. I went to the bird house and didn't see the crested coua or Bernier's ducks but the male great argus now lives with the great blue turaco pair.