Join our zoo community

Philadelphia Zoo Philadelphia Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United States' started by CarLover, 1 Jan 2020.

1. CarLover

CarLover Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I just got an update about Princess the Andean condor. She is still alive but has retired to a different zoo where she will spend the rest of her days. Her exhibit was never really fit for a condor. It was originally made to house ibis. Her exhibit is located next to the McNeil Avian Center, and across from Wings of Asia.

Jungle Man, Elephantlover and TinoPup like this.
  2. Kevin2342

Kevin2342 Well-Known Member

What zoo did she go to? Also by retired do you mean off exhibit? Also, the ibis have moved to other zoos a while back.

3. CarLover

I do not know where she has gone to. She will not be on exhibit at her new home due to her advanced age, that is what retired means. And I am aware all the ibis that used to live at the Philadelphia Zoo have moved to different zoos. I believe the northern bald ibis flock went to Dallas a few years ago. The exhibit is now inhabited by the zoo's southern ground hornbill pair.

TinoPup likes this.
  4. Kevin2342

The southern ground hornbills are in the former Andean condor exhibit, you’re correct. Plus I’m not sure where the sacred ibises went and so as the leopard tortoise that used to inhabit the ibis exhibit in the south end. Also I guess they moved Princess cause since the hornbills live in her exhibit now, they have no space to keep her. Plus she’s now off exhibit. In recent years her back door was always open so she could go in- and I guess she doesn’t like the outdoor crowds anymore and can’t handle it so they retired her. Lastly princess is about 67 although we don’t know exactly how old she is. If you could get the answers to my questions as soon as possible that would be great!

5. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What? They didn't rehome her because they had "no space to keep her" after moving the hornbills, they moved the hornbills to the empty exhibit after she left. Why can't you try to find the answers to your own questions?

Kevin2342 likes this.
  6. CarLover

The sent her away because the exhibit was never meant for condors anyway.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. Kevin2342

You should be correct, but even if she remained in the Philadelphia Zoo you wouldn’t see her since she’s retired.

8. CarLover

The American flamingos have had chicks! I don't know how many there are. I saw a video on Instagram posted by a zoo visitor of a baby flamingo with its parents.

9. Kevin2342

The Philadelphia Zoo is one of the US zoos I know of with the most geriatric animals. Zoos are essential to the health and well being of animals, and they make animals live longer lives. Plus Philly is a very old zoo. Philadelphia zoo elderly animals:
    1.Leopard:Emma,18
    2.Jaguar:Jutai,16
    3.Lynx:Freya,17
    4.Mangabey:Storm,25
    5.Blue eyed black lemur:Stewart,30,Bardot,28
    6.Anaconda:Angus,41,Amanda,29
    7.Goat:Milan,14
    8.Gazelle:Moira Abby,12
    9.Degu:Beans,8
    10.Mongoose lemur:Clara,29,Toby,23
    11.Spider monkey:Arana,29,Chanza,22
    12.Sloth:Argyle,46
    13.Porcupine:Felix,16
    14.Armadillo:Camilla,22
    15.Meerkat: Pete,13
    16.Squirrel monkey:Meg,24
    17.Hog:Charlotte and Ruby, both 18
    18.Hawk: Phoenix,32
    19.Stork:Will,34
    20.Titi monkey:Bellini,17

10. Ann Esther Sprizzo

Ann Esther Sprizzo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think long-tenured zoo animals are a great endorsement of a zoo’s quality and care.

11. CarLover

The zoo now has a white stork on exhibit. Not sure where, though it is likely on the Phase with the red river hogs.

TinoPup, Kevin2342 and StoppableSan like this.
  12. Kevin2342

If he’s not in the Phase, he should be in Bird Valley or McNeil Avian Center because that’s the places where mostly birds are kept although I’m not 100% sure. He might not get along with the other animals in the Phase or he might, I don’t know. Currently in the Phase, there are 3 red river hogs, the remaining Mhorr gazelle and the remaining saddle billed stork.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  13. Kevin2342

Apparently on the zoo website, the Canada lynx and Pygmy marmoset are no longer on there. Not sure about lynx, but I think the marmoset moved away to Texas, at least from what I have heard before the shutdown. The remaining Pygmy marmoset, Java, has been alone since early January since his brother died from a kidney issue but he was only 5, and Java is 6. A keeper told me in early March that Java was going to move to Texas when weather gets warmer. They typically live to 12, but two former marmosets in the Philadelphia zoo lived to be 18 and 16, and at 5, Java’s brother was young. But you know, anything could be wrong, their new website is not good. For example, it includes much less species and it says the squirrel monkeys and colobus monkeys are in Monkey Junction and that’s wrong.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I really hope they bring in more gazelles as the hogs are turning a lush, grassy field that replicates the African Plains beautifully into a mud pit. Lesser kudu, Thomson's gazelle, impala, guineafowl and the storks would be nice to see. Maybe a wildebeest or two.

15. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

When I first visited in 2014 that enclosure was a beautiful lush field with Addax, Mhorr Gazelle, and Saddle-Billed Stork. The hogs were in an appropriately sized more dirt-based paddock towards the northeast corner of the zoo. On my last visit in 2017, the entire field was a torn up mess thanks to the hogs and all of the enclosures in their former section of the zoo were left completely empty.

Preferably it'd be nice to see them keep with the more arid African hoofstock theme and bring in Addra Gazelle and one more the "sand gazelle" species that are much in need of new holders: Slender-Horned, Speke's, or Red-Fronted. Guineafowl would make for a nice addition to that mix as well. I don't have much faith that any of the above will happen anytime soon...

~Thylo

16. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Caribbean flamingo chick:

It looks like just the one chick. It hatched July 12 and is the first of it’s species to hatch at the zoo in over 20 years. It’s gender is unknown.

There’s a naming competition, where visitors can vote for one of three names:

“Rosado” meaning pink
    “Alto” meaning tall
    “Flaco” meaning slim or thin

Philly Zoo welcomes its first baby flamingo in more than 20 years

CarLover, Jungle Man and StoppableSan like this.
  17. CarLover

I looked at photos at the zoo, the zoo has three white storks on exhibit in the phase.

18. Kevin2342

Where did you find the photos?

19. CarLover

Instagram under the hashtag #philadelphiazoo

Kevin2342 likes this.
  20. Kevin2342

I found the media. Although I like the new white storks, I would rather have the zoo bring in more antelopes to make the Phase less dismal. Birds don’t take up too much space. Now there are 8 animals in the phase: 1 mhorr gazelle, 3 red river hogs, 3 white storks and the remaining saddle billed stork. The other saddle billed stork died shortly before the COVID-19 shutdown.

StoppableSan likes this.