Join our zoo community

Philadelphia Zoo Philadephia Zoo News 2017

Discussion in 'United States' started by Milwaukee Man, 5 Jan 2017.

1. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. joshgrossglaza

joshgrossglaza Well-Known Member

So what are the names of the Dwarf Crocodile parents?

3. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Most exciting news first: the zoo's pair of Nile crocodiles are not actually Nile crocodiles; instead, they are both West African/desert crocodiles (Crocodylus suchus). This brings the known popultion in AZA zoos up by two, and I believe in America the species is only otherwise held by St. Augustine.
    This change has now been reverted. African forest cobras are in two exhibits and the Brazilian lancehead was nowhere to be found. The juvenile panther chameleons have been replaced by a Solomon Island boa, and a nearby exhibit was empty for renovation.

The zoo's Malagasy giant jumping rats have finally moved to a nocturnal exhibit; they are now with the aye-ayes in PECO Primate Reserve. They are not signed and I did not see one, but a volunteer informed me of their presence.

The new "Outback Outpost" exhibit has debuted. It holds kangaroos and (signed, not seen) emus and honestly I'd rather have the okapi back. I did not have time to go by the former kangaroo exhibit to see if it had any occupants, but the old emu exhibit was empty. The new bald eagle exhibit has also been completed and is much larger than their previous exhibit (which I presume to be empty, but I only saw today from a far-off glance).

Kifaru Bwana and Coelacanth18 like this.
  4. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Why did they phase out the okapi?

5. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wouldn't we all like to know... the exhibit wasn't particularly great, but certainly was not bad for the one individual.

6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That is absolutely great news!

It would be really really nice where a global species program for C. suchus be instated. Not many specimens around globally in captivity, but they are here and there and it would certainly help raise their profile and benefit in situ awareness of this unique evolutionary niche species.

7. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

9. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

Amur tiger Koosaka gave birth to five cubs recently, 2 were stillborn, one was accidentally injured by its mother and died, and Koosaka's maternal instincts never kicked in leading to the remaining 2 cubs being pulled. Sadly one of those two passed away, and the remaining cub is being relocated to Oklahoma City Zoo to apparently integrate with their cubs (which strikes me as a tad odd due to their cubs being Sumatran): Baby Amur tiger neglected by mom headed to Oklahoma zoo

10. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Their last one was old and passed away. Maybe by then they decided the phase out the species or couldn't find a replacement.

11. blospz

• The exhibit with the Ailurus fulgens subspecies of red panda is empty. A new animal is to go in its spot eventually. The other subspecies is in the first exhibit.
    • The bobcat exhibit is empty as well. It is rumored that jaguarundi is supposed to go in there, but the fact that Elmwood Zoo is having a hard time acquiring them, I'm not betting on this plan.
    • The current giant otters are a family unit consisting of a geriatric mother, daughter, and son. Since giant otters are very territorial and the mother is no longer recommended to breed, they must wait until she passes away until they can bring in a mate. When she does, one of the offspring will be moved to another zoo and one will stay and get a new mate.
    • The bald eagle got a new exhibit built and are across from the cheetahs now.
    • The Humboldt penguins are now moved to another area in Bird Valley on the other side of the path from the flamingo and across from the Asiatic black bear/Andean bear exhibit.
    • I assume the former red kangaroo exhibit is still empty as it's blocked off right now because that's where the Winter Wonderland section is for the summer.

StoppableSan likes this.
  12. Dormitator

Dormitator Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks for the update blospz, good to know things are dynamic over there.

I'm visiting the zoo in late September, does anyone have any visiting tips?

13. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Visit in the early morning to see the Douc Langur have breakfast, and make sure you go to the African Plains well before 4:00, because that's when the giraffes go inside.

Dormitator likes this.
  14. blospz

• If you would like to be at the zoo by opening and are taking 76 to get there, I suggest you give yourself extra time as traffic will be backed up (more so on week days).
    • There are a few parking lots around the zoo and a parking garage near it. I have found in the past additional parking in a park near by.
    • If you want to see most animals, especially the big cat species, I would suggest spending the whole day at the zoo and making continuous stops to exhibits. For example, the big cats rotate on exhibit. One exhibit has an Amur leopard most of the day and a jaguar at the end of it. The Asiatic black bear and Andean bear also rotate.
    • If you're interested in the bear keeper talk, I have found on two trips this year that the map says it's at the bear fountain, but I've seen it happen in front of the Asiatic black bear exhibit instead.
    • Anything in particular you have a question about?

Dormitator and StoppableSan like this.
  15. Dormitator

Dormitator Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks very much both, useful info there. I'll be traveling over on the bus with a friend which should solve some of the parking issues (though it'll bring its own problems!).

We're both big bird geeks so any advice on hidden or out of the way aviaries would be fantastic. Are there many walkthrough exhibits? I'm still trying to make decisions on which lenses to bring!

16. blospz

The McNeil Aviary is where most of the birds are located. Unfortunately I do not have a list of all the species. Last time I went, they removed the bird guides on the trails (perhaps to update?) I am not sure if it's seasonal but Wings of Asia may still be open (outside enclosed aviary). I believe it's an additional $2 to enter. Bird Valley is near Bear Country and they recently renovated the spaces. There seems to be less species now, but bigger enclosures for the birds. On the top of my head I know there's a Humboldt penguin exhibit, one for blue green macaw, and flamingo. There are also a variety of doves, ducks, and budgies in the Children's zoo. There's also some ground hornbills in Carnivore Kingdom and the bald eagles moved across from the cheetah exhibit.

Dormitator likes this.
  17. blospz

The zoo's facebook has announced the arrival of two male red panda cubs to parents Spark and Khumbie. They will make their exhibit debut in early fall. I assume the empty red panda exhibit next door will be inhabited by their father, Khumbie.

StoppableSan likes this.
  18. blospz

While visiting the red panda cubs, I overheard zoo officials tell a group that mesh would be added to the second red panda exhibit and the coati exhibit. A disappointing design renovation as the open air exhibits are perfect for photography. I have a feeling the coati exhibit may be getting mesh around it for whatever animal replaces it. I believe their single coati is a geriatric animal.

StoppableSan likes this.
  19. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

20. blospz

• A male fossa named Ricco is now on exhibit in Carnivore Kingdom. He is in the former black footed cat exhibit. CK is supposed to go under renovations in the next few months and they felt the noise would disturb the cats. They are all being kept in the big cats building and one may be shipped to England to mate there.
    • Sloth bears, Kayla and Bhalu have been separated in hopes Kayla may be pregnant. The zoo did an ultrasound on Kayla last week, but they didn't see anything yet.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.