Join our zoo community

Philadelphia Zoo Philadephia Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by Milwaukee Man, 20 Feb 2018.

1. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Coldilocks the polar bear was euthanized after a major decline in health.

Coldilocks, oldest polar bear in US, passes away

What to do with yet another empty polar bear exhibit...? More space for the sloth and spectacled bears? Brown bears?

2. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If they filled in the pool a bit, it could be used for another bear species. They already have a breeding pair of sloth bears do with a geriatric Andean bear, it be nice if they got a breeding pair of Andean bears. Then perhaps they could go in this empty exhibit. If not, maybe bear country might need to make a species modification and put their penguins there (who's currently "newer" exhibit leaves a lot to be desired for visitors). I am glad Coldilocks was able to live this long.

On another note, Carnivore Kingdom is closed off until spring for exhibit design modifications. A sign mentioned they would be incorporated in the 360 trails.

StoppableSan and Loxodonta Cobra like this.
  3. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

I had seen a post on Instagram to this effect. Maybe it will mean the introduction of a brand new species.

4. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm hoping for SEALS! I don't know if the pool is quite big enough, but they're one of my favorites. Maybe they'll at least take the opportunity to revamp the bear exhibits?

5. blospz

You may be right about that. A few years ago they combined the sloth bear and former Andean bear exhibit together into the current sloth bear exhibit. They could take down the back wall and combine the Andean bear exhibit with the polar bear exhibit. Of course that would make more sense if they acquired more Andean bears since Rosie is geriatric.

6. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Send in the Grizzlies....

7. blospz

I got an email from the zoo today about what changes are happening to Carnivore Kingdom:

Coming spring 2018: Discover the importance of water like never before as you experience the newest Zoo360 trails opening this spring! Red Panda Pass and Otter Falls will feature our incredible red pandas, giant river otters and even a fossa (first one ever at the Zoo!) in a way that shares how we use water as nourishment, shelter and for play. With a series of overhead trails, bridges, a big otter waterfall and slide, you will encounter these inquisitive creatures in ‘refreshing’ new ways.

8. blospz

After visiting the zoo yesterday, I honestly think the modified Carnivore Kingdom exhibit will not be done until summertime. It looks like they haven't even started on it, besides fencing off the area to visitors.

StoppableSan likes this.
  9. TinoPup

StoppableSan likes this.
  10. blospz

I overheard a volunteer say the zoo is constructing a 10 year resign plan. Perhaps that end of the zoo will be included in it.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  11. StoppableSan

They are bringing the penguins into the old polar bear exhibit. I saw them make markings in the old yard. Also, features of the new "Water is Life" exhibit include an expanded otter exhibit with a slide, and an expanded red panda exhibit.

12. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

After the penguins move, Bird Alley will be demolished. The next few years should hopefully have some interesting renovations in store.

StoppableSan likes this.
  13. StoppableSan

I actually talked with a board member who was at the zoo, and they are in talks about possibly bringing in bison for Zoo360.

14. TinoPup

Well that seems like a really weird species for something that's supposed to promote activity and engagement.

StoppableSan likes this.
  15. StoppableSan

True, but *stampedes* and all, I guess. I'm trying to make sense of it.

16. TinoPup

I drive by a small bison farm frequently and I've barely seen them move. Yet alone do enough to kick up some dust :)

StoppableSan likes this.
  17. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A few days before mother's day, Philadelphia Zoo announced the birth of a baby ring-tailed lemur on May 8, 2018.

StoppableSan likes this.
  18. blospz

Well I've been seeing photos on flickr of the male red panda and the otters on a new blue slide, so I checked with a zoo regular about the "Water of Life" area (formerly Carnivore Kingdom). She told me the official opening is this Wednesday, May 23 (press preview was last week as scheduled). I'll be looking for some official confirmation in the coming days and if it happens, I'll try to make a trip up there this weekend to check it out and take photos.

Last edited: 21 May 2018
    StoppableSan likes this.
  19. blospz

Visit PA facebook just posted a live video of the Water is Life exhibit. Unfortunately they stayed in one spot and only showed one of the newer sections of the giant otter exhibit. It looks like the giant otters now occupy the space across from them that use to house the pelicans. A trailway must be above the pathway in between and it turns into a huge blue slide that gets them to the new section. The mesh looks wide so I am hoping it will be easier to photograph through! If it does work, it will be great because it looks like the giant otters are more visible in the newer section with more land area. Sometimes it is hard to photograph through their condensed glass. I asked that they show the red panda exhibit, but it was really dismissed and the reporter even read out, "wants to see the pandas...I assume he means red pandas," when I put down in my statement, "Can we please see the other side with the RED pandas." If all goes as planned, I'll check out this area on Saturday. They also mentioned that the penguin exhibit will open mid June, I want to say June 14. Andean geese are in the former penguin exhibit now, which is surprising because I heard they were going to demolish bird valley to make room for future exhibits. Well, maybe that's later down the road.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  20. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member