Join our zoo community

Philadelphia Zoo Philadephia Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by Milwaukee Man, 20 Feb 2018.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any more nice to have info from the members newsletter?

StoppableSan likes this.
  2. CarLover

CarLover Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The zoo got a Common Snapping Turtle in the Reptile House where the Alligator Snapping Turtle used to live. I also heard that they got hermit crabs in the KidZoo in the room with the ants, rats, and baby chickens.

TinoPup and StoppableSan like this.
  3. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Bois, the website has updated the nile crocodile page into a west African crocodile page, though that tab still says "Nile crocodile"

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

StoppableSan likes this.
  5. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  6. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Male Andean bear, Joachim is now on exhibit. He is from Oglebay's Good Zoo.

7. ThylacineAlive

I think this is Beardsley Zoo's old male. I remember seeing him in a crappy cage when I was younger, hopefully I can see him in a proper enclosure next time I'm in Philly.

~Thylo

BeardsleyZooFan and StoppableSan like this.
  8. blospz

Now that they're getting younger Andean bears, I do wish they had some trees in their exhibit for climbing. Although he seems like a big bear and may not be one for climbing. However, I wouldn't be surprised if he rotates with the sloth bears.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  9. ThylacineAlive

Don't they have an empty enclosure now that the Asiatic Black Bear has died, though?

~Thylo

StoppableSan likes this.
  10. blospz

Yes, Joachim is in that exhibit. Previously the Asiatic black bear and Andean bear rotated in that exhibit. But I was saying that they may put Joachim in the sloth bear exhibit from time to time and the sloth bears in his exhibit. The new signs they made up right before Rosie, the female Andean bear died mentioned exhibit rotation.

StoppableSan and ThylacineAlive like this.
  11. LesulaMonkey

LesulaMonkey Well-Known Member

Species list by exhibit of Philadelphia Zoo:

Monkey Junction: Black-headed spider monkey, brown spider monkey

Rare Animal Conservation Center: Rodrigues fruit bat, pancake tortoise, naked mole-rat, golden lion tamarin, Hoffmann's two-toed sloth, pied tamarin, Geoffroy's marmoset, prehensile-tailed porcupine, white-faced saki, Francois' langur, red-capped mangabey, black-and-rufous giant elephant shrew, Bolivian gray titi, blue-eyed black lemur, mongoose lemur

Small Mammal House: vampire bat, pygmy marmoset, Eurasian harvest mouse, degu, African pygmy hedgehog, aardvark, slender-tailed meerkat, Hoffmann's two-toed sloth

Bear Country: sloth bear

Penguin Point: Humboldt penguin

McNeil Avian Center: Andean condor, crested caracara, rhinoceros hornbill, hammerkop, golden-breasted starling, golden weaver, vulturine guineafowl, Hottentot teal, Mariana fruit dove, Guam rail, Bali mynah, Micronesian kingfisher, greater mynah, Victoria crowned pigeon, metallic starling, crested wood partridge, white-winged wood duck, Allen's gallinule, cattle egret, northern oriole, sunbittern

Wings Of Asia: Temminck's tragopan, satyr tragopan, golden pheasant, spotted dove, hwamei, Luzon bleeding-heart dove, Cabot's tragopan, azure-winged magpie

Big Cat Falls: African lion, Amur tiger, jaguar, puma, snow leopard, Amur leopard

Primate Reserve: black-and-white ruffed lemur, aye-aye, Madagascar giant jumping rat, common squirrel monkey, western lowland gorilla, Sumatran orangutan, white-handed gibbon, Coquerel's sifaka, ring-tailed lemur, black-necked swan

Reptile And Amphibian House: reticulated python, American alligator, Chinese alligator, Nile crocodile, dwarf crocodile, Galapagos tortoise, Aldabra tortoise, various snakes.....

Bird Valley: Galapagos tortoise, crested screamer, Caribbean flamingo, Andean goose, trumpeter swan

African Plains: Cheetah, hippo, giraffe, plains zebra, southern white rhino, Mhorr gazelle, saddle-billed stork, red river hog

Water Is Life: red panda, giant otter, Canada lynx

Other: cheetah, maned wolf, colobus monkey, crested porcupine, turkey vulture, red kangaroo, emu

StoppableSan, CarLover and Jambo like this.
  12. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I posted a complete species list on the previous page ;) Was wings of asia open on your visit?

StoppableSan likes this.
  13. LesulaMonkey

LesulaMonkey Well-Known Member

Yes, but I did not go in.

LesulaMonkey

14. CarLover

I have a Philadelphia Zoo list on my DeviantArt. Philadelphia Zoo Animal List

15. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

16. TinoPup

Several of your bits are out of date now unfortunately. Where did you get the subspecies info for the cats?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  17. ThylacineAlive

Those subspecies are correct, those are what's present in the US. Jaguars are typically thought of as monotypic nowadays, though, and the Cougars will be the North American subspecies.

The only mistakes I noted on my quick look through is that the zoo keeps 1.0 Sri Lankan Sloth Bear and 0.1 Indian Sloth Bear, as is the new US breeding plan. Also, the zoo will have Southern Three-Banded Armadillo not Brazilian, the Mexican Porcupine is now dead, and the zoo has hybrid giraffes.

~Thylo

CarLover and StoppableSan like this.
  18. blospz

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  19. TinoPup

I'm not doubting their correctness, just wondering where it's from, since it isn't on the signage at the zoo, but I see now that they include the subspecies in the latin names on the website.

Fossa also needs to be moved, and it's my understanding that they're no longer keeping cougars, even the signs for the species have been removed within the zoo.

StoppableSan likes this.
  20. CarLover

What hybrids are the giraffes? I know there is definitely reticulated giraffe in them, but how do you know they are a hybrid?