Join our zoo community

United Kingdom Philip Wayre, 26/5/21 - 29/6/14

Discussion in 'Zoo History' started by Paradoxurus, 27 Jul 2014.

1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

This requires further investigation I believe, as currently I have heard of no UK breeding records for this species!

2. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sad news of course,and his contribution was an important one without a doubt.However, I met him around 7 years ago and he had become faintly anti-zoo.I don't wish to speak ill of the dead, especially one who did so much for wildlife,and it could be that bad experiences had tainted his memories, but he didn't have too positive a view of much of the zoo world.Mind you, Gerald Durrell used to say similar things.

3. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Indeed, I was also surprised to read that, either they did breed and possibly did not survive ? Or it was a line just tagged on at the end, as is sometimes the case in these guide books talking generally ?

In 1977 they did have three and they were the only ones in the UK at that time.

If you do a search on Pathe News Website for Norfolk Wildlife Park there is some nice footage of the park in the early days.

4. Tim Brown

Through 77,78,79,80,there is no mention of Golden Cats breeding at Great Witchingham in the Int.Zoo Yearbook census,to which the zoo reported its breedings quite fully - so I think unlikely,perhaps a D.N.S. at best.

5. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Has anywhere else in the UK ever held both species simultaneously?

I can't imagine there's much competition for this accolade.:)

Last edited: 3 Aug 2014
  6. Tim Brown

Ive just noticed BORNEAN Great Argus...Ive checked the guide and yes,it does say that.Almost don't believe it,a great avicultural rarity,but they do differentiate between that and the Malay taxon.

7. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Thanks Tim, it is an odd one. As you say surely if they had bred, and survived, the breeding would have been recorded as a UK first, as so many others at the park and in the IZYbks. So either they bred but the off-spring did not survive, but it was not properly recorded because of that or it was just an added line in the guidebook by mistake perhaps? It is in the 1979, 7th edition of the guide to the left of the large Lynx photo, listed under number 17, for anyone with that one who wants to look.

8. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Yes the only ones in the UK at that time.

9. Tim Brown

Perhaps the only ones EVER,Zootierliste lists London..well not up to 1927,does anyone know of any there since then?

10. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The ZSL Annual Report for 1959 lists London Zoo as receiving three Bornean argus pheasants that year.

11. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

a female Temmick's x Western Tragopan was reard at the park in 1977.
    I am wndering if I saw Western tragopan, I visited in 1973, but do not rremember much about the place.

They bred many Cabot's Trgopans in the early 1970s.

12. Tim Brown

Mystery solved then,as is Zootierlistes reputation.From one Tim to another,thanks Tim.
    Off subject.. are you going to Zoohistorica?

13. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Indeed, I am attending ZooHistorica; it is unusual for me to miss it. I'll see you in Cologne....

14. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Regarding the Temminck`s Golden Cats - a pair (1.1) were bought from Norfolk Wildlife Park in March 1982 by the Cat Survival Trust at the Marlind Centre. They actually used some of their "building fund" to pay for them at short notice. The male was aged 3 years old and had originally come from Rotterdam Zoo, the female was 5 years old and had originally come from Denmark. This pair were said to be the only ones in the UK at that time.
    (I have no idea what happened to the third animal that they had in 1977).

So they obviously arrived at Norfolk as very young cats or, judging by the years between 77 and 82, and their young ages in 82, that the two that went to The Cat Survival Trust were perhaps not the same animals that were there in 77 ?? (Just when you think you have sorted it out!:p )