Join our zoo community

Phoenix or Wildlife World?

Discussion in 'United States' started by birdsandbats, 18 Feb 2021.

1. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I am making a trip to Arizona this spring and I may visit a zoo a Phoenix while I'm there if I have time. If I do I will only have time to visit one. Which of these collections is more worth visiting?

2. red river hog

red river hog Well-Known Member

Phoenix without question.

bgeezle513 and Ituri like this.
  3. birdsandbats

Why?

4. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

If you can stretch take a side trip to Tucson to see ASDM. It is the most special zoo in North America in many respects (but for for ABC animals) and the surrounding desert is spectacular. May require more time than you can squeeze in, though

5. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As a former resident of Arizona and someone who was a frequent visitor to both, choose Phoenix for quality (AZA accreditation), Wildlife World for Quantity (larger, more biodiverse collection).

Ituri likes this.
  6. birdsandbats

That's the plan, most of my time in Arizona will be spent in Tucson. My main focus for the trip is birding and ASDM happens to be an excellent spot for that in addition to being an amazing zoo. A visit to one of the Phoenix zoos is still up in the air and tbh not the highest priority.

7. red river hog

red river hog Well-Known Member

Mainly the horrible exhibits at Wildlife World, but if just the collection is what you're looking for, then I could see why you might have a hard time deciding.

8. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

Phoenix is a nice zoo, it is well laid out and has nice enclosures, I liked it a lot on my visit.

9. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@birdsandbats Spending most of your time in my city of Tucson shows that you are wise beyond your years. (Not that I know how old you are, but still...). I am curious if you are flying into and/or out of Phoenix Sky Harbor (or Mesa Gateway) and that is when you are squeezing in your visit. Or are you driving? Or flying into Tucson International? If you are flying into Tucson, don't waste time driving up to Phoenix.

However, to answer your original question, it's Phoenix Zoo. Wildlife World has the largest and most diverse animal collection in the state, and one of the largest in the nation, but some of their exhibits can only be described as deplorable. After my last visit a few years ago I decided I would not return because I cannot support them as an institution. They are also a for-profit institution with several cheezy carnival rides to make money, whereas Phoenix Zoo is non-profit that supports several conservation projects.

10. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

You didn't ask but I want to say that adjoining the Phoenix Zoo is one of my favorite botanical gardens in North America: the Desert Botanical Garden. Thoroughly wonderful

Ituri and birdsandbats like this.
  11. birdsandbats

I'll be flying into Phoenix-Mesa. Even if I was flying into Tucson I would probably still pass through Phoenix on my way to the Grand Canyon. Lovebirds are one my top birds to see in Arizona (and they only occur in urban Phoenix), so I would probably have made a brief stop anyway. Regardless, my itinerary may or may not end up giving me some time to kill in Phoenix.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  12. hudson111

hudson111 Well-Known Member

When I went to the Phoenix Area a couple of years ago I decided to go to wildlife world zoo instead of phoenix for two main reasons. Wildlife world has multiple aquarium buildings. I had already seen most of the animals in phoenix's collection and there was still a decent amount at Wildlife world I had never seen.

13. SwampDonkey

If you have time to burn in Phoenix, then you could also combine going to Odysea Aquarium. I have not been in a few years, but it was nice when it first opened. If you like archaeology at all, the Pueblo Grande Museum is worth stopping at as it is very close to both the airport and zoo.

StoppableSan likes this.
  14. hudson111

I also went to this aquarium it is very nice and features a really cool rotating ride that takes you to the shark tank the sealion tank and the reef tank. They also have aa nice freshwater collection with Siamese crocodiles and a sturgeon touch tank. When I went they did not have him but apparently they now have Mighty Mike the American Alligator. They also have a pretty cool penguin habitat

15. SwampDonkey

I was wondering about the ride. I went when the aquarium was still in pre-opening, so I was curious if they would continue doing it as a ride or give it up and just let you walk through. It was a pretty unique thing for an aquarium, I thought.

16. hudson111

It was pretty cool but if you have motion sickness or dont want to wait in a 30 minute ride than you wont be able to see sealions or turtles which sucks

SwampDonkey likes this.
  17. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Where are you planning on looking for lovebirds?

18. birdsandbats

Not sure yet, aren't they fairly common through the whole city?

19. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I don't think so. I have never seen one.

20. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I’ve only seen them in a few places. I recommend the Riparian Preserve at Gilbert Water Ranch. Aside from being an extremely reliable place for lovebirds it’s a great birding spot in general.

Arizona Docent likes this.