Join our zoo community

Phoenix Zoo Phoenix Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by Ituri, 31 Dec 2007.

1. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link snowleopard!

2. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

Does anybody knows what happend to the gerenuks of Phoenix zoo ? I've seen them there in 2002 in a great exhibit, but now it is home to mhorrgazelles.I think, they have stopped with gerenuks in 2003 or 2004, but I don't know, if the animals has died or of if they are shipped to another zoo.

3. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The herd of gerenuk were hit hard by a herpes virus of some sort. The zoo has acquired two male gerenuk that they will exhibit on the African Savannah exhibit.

I am so excited about the Capital Campaign. It looks spectacular, I've actually been stalking that website waiting for the renderings to be put up.

4. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The Capital Campaign will really boost the prestige of the zoo, as rather than focusing on one or two additions there will be 6 major exhibits/buildings added to the zoo. The current orangutan habitat is deplorable and so it's great to hear that the plans are almost finalized for the new exhibit, and the rest of the news is wonderful. No doubt the sumatran tiger exhibit will be a popular addition, and by June of 2012 the zoo will have nudged higer into the top bracket of North American zoos.

5. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

@Ituri. Do you know when they got the two male gerenuks ? And they will keep them together with the giraffes, eland ,waterbucks and thomson gazelles ?

6. Ituri

The gerenuks were acquired earlier this year. They had started to introduce them onto the main savannah with all of the other hoofstock. Last I heard there were a few problems with either the eland or the cattle spooking them a bit, but I think they are still optomistic about it working.

7. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

Is there a full master plan somewhere..?

This is what zoos should be, focus in part on local wildlife, well planned and incorporates the local habitat to suit its themes and design...

8. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

So, it's Phx zoo building a new elephant exhibit?

9. Ituri

No, they are just remodeling part of the viewing area I believe.

10. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is now May 2009. According to the capital campaign link, the new komodo dragon exhibit opens this September and the new orangutan exhibit opens next January (less than a year). Are they still on schedule for this (I haven't been to this zoo for a few years)?

I am glad they are finally going to move the tigers - they are currently on the Africa Trail (no wonder Americans are geographically ignorant).

The last time I was there, the walk-thru monkey exhibit was nearing completion. Staff said they were going to start with two species of monkeys and then introduce a third. But now, a few years later, all they have are squirrel monkeys. What happened?

11. Ituri

Okay, here we go. First. The Capital Campaign: I've heard that the Komodo dragon exhibit broke ground earlier this year, and last I heard it sounded like it was more or less on track. Phase I of the orangutan exhibit (the night house) was broken ground for last year. I however have no idea how that's doing timeline wise. If I find anything out I'll let you guys know what I can.

Tigers and geography: The "Africa Trail" sort of grew around existing exhibits and the tigers just never were able to be moved. The plan has been all along to move them to the "Tropics Trail".

Monkey Village: The original plan was to have common squirrel monkeys, white-faced saki, and black howler monkeys. Once the exhibit was constructed, it became apparant that it was not optimal for containing the howlers. They wanted to add white-faced saki, but I hear word is the USDA said, "No. Too big for a walkthrough." So, squirrel monkeys and black-bellied whistling-ducks it is.

12. Arizona Docent

According to zoo website, the new komodo dragon exhibit opens on November 11th. They are really hyping this and apparently have had promotional billboards and bus signs in the Phoenix area. If it turns out to be anything like what the zoo promotions state, it could be the best komodo dragon exhibit around.

This is the first project in their new capital campaign, which appears to be falling behind schedule. This exhibit was supposed to open in September. The next project, orangutan exhibit, was supposed to open this January (2010), but now they say they hope to raise the money for it by Spring 2010 (with construction presumably to follow). Ahhh, the joys of fundraising.

13. Ituri

14. snowleopard

15. Arizona Docent

January 2, 2010. Just returned from my first visit to Phoenix Zoo in about four years. Here are a few observations on what is new.

The big thing, of course, is LAND OF THE DRAGONS, the new komodo dragon exhibit. Very nicely done - I will post a photo later tonight with a description of it there.

A new conservation center on the back side (down the path from cheetahs). Visitors cannot go in, but there is some nice signage about conservation work they are doing.

The large bald eagle aviary in ARIZONA TRAIL, which is supposed to be 100% native animals, has a pair of Andean Condors (on loan from L.A. Zoo). Say what???

The maned wolf exhibit is now a mixed species exhibit with - are you ready for this - maned wolf and giant anteater! Fantastic mix.

Alan will be very happy to know that his book, "America's Best Zoos," is for sale in the gift shop.

The ocelot enclosure, which was always very lush, now houses ring-tail lemurs who have destroyed all the foliage. It is now just an ugly cage with a few bare branches.

There is a new viewing area for elephants on the back side of the exhibit (a short dead-end path).

The alligator pond is empty and has a bulldozer in the middle. No sign saying what it will be, but I am guessing maybe the future (and desperately needed) orangutan exhibit?

Bighorn sheep now occupy both of the LARGE mountain habitats. The one on the right, farther back, used to have a massive herd of nubian ibex. Then it was empty for a while, but now it has four bighorns while the main (closer) habitat has five I think.

Following animals were "temporarily" off exhibit: puma, andean bear.

Apparently every zoo in America, including Phoenix, thinks they have to have Watusi Cattle in their African Savannah. This is one new addition I could certainly live without.

FINALLY, boy was the zoo packed! It is a Saturday, and the weather just turned warmer (around 70F), and when I left in the early afternoon cars were circling the full lot and someone waited for me to take my parking spot.

16. snowleopard

@Arizona Docent: nice mini review, with some hit-and-miss changes happening to the zoo. The extra viewing area for the elephants was in place during my visit in the summer of 2008, as were the ring-tailed lemurs in their ugly cage. The new maned wolf/giant anteater mix is intriguing, and the zoo has one of the better South American collections around so it was a pity that the Andean bears were off exhibit during your visit.

17. Arizona Docent

Yes, and I just remembered the chacoan peccaries were also temporarily off exhibit. Also I did not see the jaguar, but since there was no sign I assume it was just sleeping inside, since the nighthouse door appeared to be open.

18. Ituri

Here's a few responses for you,

The ocelot pair that was housed in the wire cage on the Tropics Trail now reside at the Oregon Zoo. The ring-tailed lemurs have been in there for several years.

The new orangutan exhibit is going at the site of the current orangutan exhibit. They hope to break ground early this year.

The ibex have been gone for over ten years. The second butte is used for management of a bachelor herd of desert bighorn. (Ovis canadensis mexicana a different subspecies than is managed at most US zoos.)

The alligator exhibit became a capybara exhibit and is now empty due to structural issues. The last capys were shipped to your home Reid Park Zoo a year or so ago.

The Andean condors are there temporarily on loan from the LA Zoo while they're enclosure there is renovated. I think housing Andean condors at the zoo may serve a different purpose though... ;)

19. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Edinburgh zoo has mixed maned wolves and giant anteaters for a few years now, and it seems to be working fine as both species have reared young in the enclosure, the female giant anteater was pregnant when she and her mate were introduced to the enclosure, but she has reared the youngster so far with no problems.

20. Ituri

Visited Phoenix Zoo recently, here's a few notes to add to Arizona Docents...
    • The spectacled bears appeared to be on exhibit, but the back half of Forest of Uco is torn up with construction equipment (preparations for orangutan redevelopment)
    • The spider monkeys are now in Forest of Uco where the toco toucans used to be, and spider monkey island is now home to a pair of buff-cheeked gibbons.
    • The new Komodo exhibit is very nice with landscape through the visitor area representing the savannah-scrub habitat of Komodo dragons.
    • Gerenuk are now on the African Savannah as well.
    • The first two displays in the reptile house have been changed to several smaller tanks holding individual species. I think this to be a big improvement because I felt the bedroom and backyard displays were truly wasted space.
    • New species in Amazing Amphibians include Chinese gliding frogs and milky tree frogs.
    • The anteaters are indeed in with the maned wolves, the former anteater exhibit is occupied by greater rheas and crested screamers.
    • Keel-billed toucans have now taken up residence in the aviary across the road from the jaguars.

I'll probably go back one more time while I'm down here to pick up the half of the zoo I missed.