Join our zoo community

Phoenix Zoo Phoenix Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by Ituri, 31 Dec 2007.

1. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have a nice little tidbit of Phoenix Zoo history to share. In 1993, the Phoenix Zoo received a Chinese Pangolin (Manis pentadactyla as a gift from Phoenix's sister city of Chengdu. The animal lived in part of what is now the indoor section of the ocelot exhibit and was occaisionally allowed to romp the current caracal enclosure (which at the time had a low front fence, no mesh, and lots of grass). I remember this animal fondly and kick myself frequently for not having a self-taken photograph of this animal.

[​IMG]

I found this photo while scanning through an old copy of Arizoo magazine.

2. Ann Littlewood

Ann Littlewood Well-Known Member

I spent a day at Phx Zoo (that's how they spell it) last month while on a book tour for my latest zoo mystery, Did Not Survive. I felt fortunate to hit the zoo on a temperate day, not too warm, and enjoyed it, especially the orynx. If you should go, be prepared for a lot of walking!

There's quite the contrast between the entry lagoon and another big water area and the part of the zoo left to desert.

I've put together a slide show at:
    Picasa Web Albums - Ann - Phoenix Zoo O...
    Let me know if anything in my comments needs correcting.

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

that's a nice pangolin. Do you happen to know how long it lived at the zoo?

4. Ituri

I don't for sure, I do seem to recall it being there for a number of years.

5. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@Ann L. - nice slide show. Just two minor things, no big deal. The deer are Philippine, not Indonesian. There is no N in the word oryx.

6. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. Tarsius

Tarsius Well-Known Member

Any News about the gerenuks ? How many of them are on exhibit in the savanna, and is it working together with the other antelope species ?

And what about the present Orang Utan exhibit ? In 2002, somebody of the zoo staff told me, they have plans to build a new one. This is now 8 years ago, but I haven't heard anything about a new orang exhibit.

8. Ituri

They have 2.0 gerenuk living on the African Savannah. They have been there since at least last January.

The Orangutan Exhibit is under construction and is due to open this winter/early spring. A brief description can be found here: The Capital Campaign

9. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

When I visited a few weeks ago, the two male gerenuk were mostly staying around a sloped area covered with many boulders on one side of their very large mixed-species savanna exhibit. This is the area closest to a raised wooden viewing platform, so visitor views of them were very close. The gerenuk were mostly tiptoe-ing between the boulders, but also left the edge of that area and did not seem to shy away from the reticulated giraffes and guineafowl nearby in the same habitat.

10. Ituri

Geomorph, might we be expecting a photo essay review of your trip to Phoenix? I would love to see it!

11. Arizona Docent

When I was there in the summer, I saw the gerenuks chasing a giraffe who seemed terrified of his diminutive roomates. Quite funny actually.

Orangutan exhibit is supposed to open in January 2011 if it stays on track. Since I am a member, I expect to get an invitation to a member's sneak preview sometime before that. (Of course I probably won't be able to make it, since these previews are usually on a weekend and my weekends are normally full, but I can go on my weekday off work as soon as it opens to the public).

12. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Ituri, yes I will be writing a review and posting my pics as well...probably next week!

13. Arizona Docent

On Tuesday night, December 7, Nat Geo photographer Joel Sartore will be doing a 50 minute presentation on his adventures photographing wildlife all over the world. Presentation is included with admission to winter ZooLights.

Since it is a Tuesday, which is my regular day off work, I think I may make the drive from Tucson to Phoenix.

14. Arizona Docent

The opening of the new orangutan exhibit has been pushed back from the original date of January 2011 to a new opening date of April 2011. No specific grand opening date has been announced yet, but they are giving April as the official month.

The next project on their capital campaign is an education and event building. They have announced that construction will start February 2011 with an anticipated completion date of November 2011.

15. Ituri

Orang Hutan: People of the Forest will include two outdoor yards, called the arboreal and terrestrial yards. As construction is finishing up for the April opening, the orangs have been given access to the arboreal yard. The new exhibit will not be accessible to the public until its completion and grand opening. The Phoenix Zoo Blog talks about the orangs in the arboreal yard here:

New orangutan exhibit: Orangutans explore the Arboreal Yard | Phoenix Zoo Blog

16. Arizona Docent

17. Arizona Docent

The orangutan exhibit (which I have not seen yet) is now open. The zoo website has a section devoted to it. Here is the photo page of that section. Based on these photos, I have no desire whatsoever to rush up to Phoenix to see it.

Orang-Hutan: "People of the Forest"

18. mweb08

mweb08 Well-Known Member

Looks pretty good for the orangutans themselves other than less than optimal shade. However, for a visitor and naturalistic perspective, it is rather disappointing for a new exhibit.

19. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Highly agree, the climbing structures do look quite elaborate but it looks like a jungle gym. Shade seems like a premium for Phoenix, the orangutans are going to bake outside, especially with the monoculture flat turf grass. Isn't there an indoor area as well too?

20. Ituri

There are two indoor and two outdoor areas.