Join our zoo community

Phoenix Zoo or Work Wildlife Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by Kareem, 4 Dec 2021.

1. Kareem

Kareem Member

I'm going to Arizona and I'm trying to figure out which one I should go to. It's for my 1-year-old son. Which location are you able to get closer to the animals and have more options to pet/feed animals. Does either have a petting zoo?

2. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Honestly, will a 1-year-old care? Any kitten in a pet shop will bring more delight. So which one would YOU prefer for yourself and the adults in the group?

3. Kareem

Kareem Member

LOL. Why wouldn't he care? He is a person

4. Zooplantman

Of course. But for such a new person generally a soft mammal is more than enough to enjoy. If it is a sloth or a stingray it isn't more special to him. He has no such preconceptions.

5. Kareem

Kareem Member

That is not true. He knows the differences between animals and knows their names. That is why I am asking which location can he get closer to them and interact with them. I would prefer that to him seeing the animals from a distance. He is actually the only reason we are going.

6. Zooplantman

My apologies for underestimating him

Ebirah766 likes this.
  7. Kareem

Kareem Member

I'm not looking for an apology. I still want to know which is better for him

8. Zooplantman

Well assuming that you mean the "World Wildlife Zoo", I did a quick Google search and learned the answer. Perhaps if you do your own search you will be better informed to make your decision

Batto likes this.
  9. Kareem

Kareem Member

I'm looking to get recommendations from people that attended both. If that's not you, I'm not sure why you're responding to my post. To let me know you're not good with children? I hope you don't have any. Best of luck to you in life

10. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

Arguments aside, I have not been to either but (Doing a quick google search as well as Zooplantman) Phoenix seems like the obvious better choice.

Zoochat has reviews and discussions about the Phoenix zoo as well if you need to know more.

11. Kareem

Kareem Member

The obvious better choice because animals are closer and you can interact with them more? Sincere question.

12. CheeseChameleon1945

Phoenix seems to have a larger collection, better exhibits, and better reviews. Phoenix is more well known at least to me.
    WWZA seems to be a glorified roadside zoo.
    Tbh, It's your decision. I'm sure your, um, Son will be fine with either of them if he enjoys animals:).
    When I was younger I didn't really care which zoo I went as long if it had animals.
    Also, which one would you better prefer as a primary visitor since you are presumably making most of the decisions here. ;)

That's all from me as I am only a teenager and I'm sure people who have been to both can provide you with better imput. ;)

13. Kareem

Kareem Member

Thanks for your input. Maybe someone will answer my question, but I won't hold my breath

CheeseChameleon1945 likes this.
  14. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If you want to see elephants and desert animals, then the Phoenix Zoo is where it's at. World Wildlife Zoo does not have elephants or extensive collection of desert animals.

If you want to see sea lions and tropical fish, the World Wildlife Zoo is where it's at. It has an extensive aquarium complex that Phoenix Zoo does not.

Both zoos have giraffes, rhinos, big cats, zebra, and antelope. Both have children's zoos.

Phoenix is the better zoo in overall quality of exhibits. World Wildlife Zoo is uneven in quality, but not a total disaster.

15. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

While Phoenix does have better exhibits (from an animal husbandry standpoint) and better reviews, Wildlife World has one of the largest animal collections in any North American zoo.

CheeseChameleon1945 and Aardwolf like this.
  16. Kareem

Kareem Member

I still don't know which allows you to get closest to the animals and have interactions with them, but I'm glad you guys are enjoying discussing this amongst yourselves.

17. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I haven't been to either zoo, so I can't say. @Arizona Docent Any thoughts?

CheeseChameleon1945 likes this.
  18. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You are a rude troll. Be gone, troll. You are now on ignore.

19. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

The first person you insulted already answered your question, but to put it another way: both zoos have information on their websites and downloadable zoo maps about contact areas (petting zoos) and all of the interactive, hands-on animal encounters they offer such as giraffe feedings and stingray touch pools. If that's what you're looking for, you don't need us; you just need to use Google.

If you're trying to ask something else then it doesn't seem like people understand what you are asking for, in which case you should consider clarifying your question instead of throwing shade at everybody who tries to help you.

20. CheeseChameleon1945

Yeah, looking in the media page I-
    Wait, What?
    Gunther's dik-diks!?
    Okay Take my money I'm fetching my camera and storming down there. :p