Join our zoo community

Closed Photo IDs

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by threeple61, 30 Mar 2015.

1. threeple61

threeple61 Well-Known Member

Hello,

I don't really post on here much but as of late I have found the New comments section of the website to be just full of people repeatedly identifying the same species. I know I've done it too - but could we maybe give it a rest and only comment if the ID is wrong? This is mainly directed at a couple of users, but just to try and reinstate the usual quality of this forum...

Sorry to be a joy-kill.

T

2. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

I must say that I agree with you. Also people voting on old dead polls, if you have something to say then post it but I find really old polls being pushed to the top of the New Posts section with only a vote and no actual post to be annoying.

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

whoever is voting in all those polls is really annoying!! They are obviously searching through all the forum pages just trying to find pointless things to do.

4. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

I think polls and non-animal related forums should be removed. They detract from the website and are “fillers" to pass the time. IDs are really annoying. If you don't know the animal, search until you've exhausted all options, not just be lazy. Some of the IDs are really easy and if you do not know, research them. This site used to be informative and a way to enjoy animals and the passion users have for them. Now, it is bogged down with trolls and emotionally-charged views where people look to fight behind a keyboard because they are know-it-alls. Questions are fine, just not the same ones over and over. Search your queries in the serach bar, don't be lazy. Agreeing with the same answer over and over is uncalled for. Gaining numbers of postings is not a game, nor is it a goal. If your goal is to win zoochat with posts/photos, I hope life is more fulfilling for you.

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I don't like the polls, and have never voted on one, but lots of people do vote on them and so obviously like them. My only beef with them is the way a new vote puts the poll as "unread". The point of the non-animal part of the forum (the Zoo Cafe) is that it is for creating a sense of community, as it were. The simple solution if you don't like the Zoo Cafe is not to go in there.

that seems a little opinionated. Not everyone is at the same level of zoological knowledge, and not everyone would even know where to start when trying to ID something by themselves. Some of the IDs might be easy for most members but the people asking wouldn't be asking if they knew the answer. I do get what you're saying when certain people just upload a bunch of photos and have obviously made no attempt at all, but if you don't want to help ID a photo then simply don't.