Join our zoo community

Photo Upload Info

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by FunkyGibbon, 18 Jun 2019.

1. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Because I travel a lot and use my phone camera almost exclusively, I tend to have a large lag time between when a photo is taken and when it is uploaded (approximately twelve months recently, although I am working to get it down to a close to real-time as is logistically possible by the end of the year). I stopped including dates in the title or description because I believed that the file information section always contained this. As well as being visually cleaner without it in the title it was a bit of a faff.

To my horror this morning I found that a photo I took in 2017 and uploaded in 2018 didn't have that key data. So I did some test uploads, because I suspected that it was the editing process that was the problem. In fact, a photo uploaded individually does list all of the data, whereas exactly the same photo uploaded in a batch of thirty loses almost all of it. I'm not going to probe at precisely what number of uploads this loss of information happens, but looking back now I can see that at least small groups of about five seem to be fine.

So, my question is, is this a bug, or a basic property of large uploads?

Here are the photos that illustrate the predicament:

Bison Statue - ZooChat

Test Bison - ZooChat

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I suspect it's a deliberate feature activated by Sim to automatically compress photos uploaded in bulk; the photo you uploaded in a bulk number has not only been stripped of EXIF data but also reduced in physical and file size.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

No - certainly not deliberate.

All photos are reduced in size and this process does strip the EXIF data, but the EXIF data should have been captured first.

I suspect this is a bug - I don't have time to investigate right now, but I will revisit it - especially if it still happens in the latest version of the gallery software.

4. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Just for information, batches of ten retain the data, which will be my new standard uploading procedure.

(Although I suppose this issue may be triggered by total size rather than number of uploads)

5. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

For what it's worth, I like seeing the date in the caption (but not necessarily in the main title).

6. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm having some issues with uploading images - once selecting the image, a pop-up saying something like "unable to perform function due to low memory" appears. Has/is anyone else having similar issues? Thanks.

7. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

No - seems to be working fine here.

Is it possible that the error is happening at your end? Are you uploading on desktop or mobile? Have you tried restarting your device or computer? Are you low on storage space?

8. TNT

Via mobile here, I shall try again now. Thanks!

9. TNT

Seems to be okay now, thanks Simon!

FunkyGibbon and Simon Hampel like this.