Join our zoo community

Photographic book.

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by Terry Thomas, 16 Sep 2018.

1. Terry Thomas

Terry Thomas Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Has anyone thought about putting together a table book, or possibly several books, using some of the best photos from media? There could be separate collections of mammals, birds, reptiles, fish etc.. Would this be possible, assuming permission was first obtained from the folks who took the photos?
    The books could be self published. No doubt there are many people who would be happy to donate to the actual cost of the venture and no doubt assist with the distribution. Monies from any sales could be donated to various places, possibly decided by a simple voting system on one of the forums.
    There could be a small text with each photo, or simply just the common and scientific names.
    There are many very good photos to choose from and I for one would love to see these in book form.

WhistlingKite24 likes this.
  2. GregOz

GregOz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have had a couple of attempts. The problem I have is I end up wanting an ABC of animals and then I put in photos that aren’t the same quality. For example, I did one on primates and couldn’t leave any photos out.

For me I think it would work if my wife chose the photos.

The books themselves come out really well.

3. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

You could run into legal headaches as in most cases you would need the permission of the zoos the photos were taken at.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  4. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

More interesting may be a book presenting zoo exhibits worldwide. You might also bypass permissions of zoos, since I understand a building owner cannot prohibit to photograph its building.

5. GregOz

GregOz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The one I put together was for personal use - is on my coffee table

6. Terry Thomas

If enough members were get into contact and share the costs, then I still think that these books would be a reasonable proposition. As to the problem of where a particular photo was taken; I sort of agree that zoos etc,. have the right to require permission for photos taken at their premises but surely a close-up photo of an animal,which did not show any particular background, would not be a problem? After all, unless the animal was unique to that zoo, then how would that be in any way detrimental, or matter where it was taken? Another case of political correctness?? Or just another money raiser??

The books I have in mind would be put together and printed as a book, rather than a photo book. I have done several of these and am quite pleased with them, but they are not the same as having a printed edition.

7. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That is only true if the building is photographed from a public street. If it is on private property (like zoo grounds) they can certainly prohibit use. This whole project is a logistical nightmare and will go nowhere.

Mr Wrinkly and m30t like this.
  8. Terry Thomas

Interesting concept though! Could be done if kept simple....

9. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

It could not be done with animals from most zoos in Canada and America, where you are required to get the zoos permission prior to taking any photos for non-personal use (I am not familiar enough with zoos outside of this region to know what their policies are). Whether it is a close up of an animal or not, those terms are stated clearly by many zoos. The chance that a zoo would legally come after you for using a photo without being granted permission may be remote, but they would be fully within their rights to do so.

10. Terry Thomas

I wonder if it would make a difference if the book was not intended for sale - just for zoo chat members??

11. Terry Thomas

Another thought for consideration - I wonder how zoos view the publication of photos on zoo chat?? Does everyone get permission before putting their photos on to Media? If not, then zoos must accept that this is OK., as I am sure that they would be aware of us.

12. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

I believe the sharing of photos on here would be viewed comparably to the sharing of photos on social media. That is something entirely different from publishing photos in a book that is for sale.

13. Terry Thomas

What if the book was not for sale, but only for zoo chat members?

14. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

You would need to consult each zoo that you wish to use a photo from to determine if you are in contravention of their policies.

15. Terry Thomas

Well.... it was just an idea! Still think, with some positive thinking, that it could be done, however.....

16. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Go for it. Email about 20 UK zoos to confirm their policies, work out the cost of producing something and distributing it. Personally I don't see the point of wasting paper (recycled or not) and time and money for zoo chatters only, when the images are on available on devices we clearly have access to.

m30t likes this.