Join our zoo community

Photographs appearing on internet without permission

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by AdrianW1963, 20 Jun 2021.

1. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This morning I noticed that some of my photographs from zoo chat are now appearing on BING as anyone else had this problem?

2. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

What do you mean when you say Bing? I thought it was just a search engine, so aren't your photos simply linking back to the forum?

TinoPup likes this.
  3. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes it is but I wonder who gave permission for them to be used as they are appearing on the images for part of the search engine.
    I have now decided not to upload images on to the media part of this web page due to this as the images can be used for/by anyone with out permission from the images part of the search engine.

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Yeah, Bing is just the same as Google. Any image search for animals and (especially, obviously) zoo enclosures will show up loads of photos from Zoochat.

Arizona Docent and TinoPup like this.
  5. Chlidonias

So you're not going to put photos anywhere on the internet then, I assume? Anyone can take photos from anywhere and use them without permission. It isn't a problem from Zoochat or Bing or Google or whatever - it is a problem with people just using photos without permission.

6. Strix

Strix Well-Known Member

As Zoochat is a public forum, as soon as you upload media to it the media is now accessible to the public. On search engines, the images should always link back to the original website (in this case, Zoochat) but they can be seen or used by anyone.

TinoPup likes this.
  7. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I run across photos of mine from multiple sources with a bit of digging, varying from social media to Ebird's Macaulay Library and Zoochat. Any photo you upload anywhere on the internet basically becomes fair game so to speak. The only way to not have that happen is post no photos anywhere online, as Chli said.

8. Chlidonias

Not legally though - the photo belongs to you and people shouldn't be taking it without permission. But in practice there's little you can do other than ask the person to take it off their site. (Note, however, this doesn't apply to search engines like Bing or Google because they aren't taking or using your photo, they are simply showing where the photos are elsewhere on the internet).

It depends on where it is uploaded also. For example, if you put photos on Wikipedia they become part of Wiki Commons and anyone can use them without your permission. If someone else takes your photo and puts it on Wikipedia (as has happened to me before) then you should request Wikipedia to remove it (if you care).

orcalover83, TinoPup and Great Argus like this.
  9. demonmoth

demonmoth Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ah seen mine all the time on search engines I'm not bothered by it anymore it's the risk you run when you use public platforms. I find it flattering now lol as long as they are not making money from my pictures. I used to go mad and take wasteful hours trying to get my pictures off websites mostly tumblr was the worst

10. D500Nikon

D500Nikon New Member

I reduce and watermark with a copyright all my images, I also reduce the size to 600x400 and reduce the quality to Low image size will be around the 50-70kb, on looking on a website you see the image. Its not going to stop anyone taking it but in all honesty they cannot do much with it. I found some of my Instagram images on peoples websites like Facebook header, so I deleted my Instagram account.

Semioptera and Arizona Docent like this.