Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Photography and Building Lifecycle Stories

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Read, 5 Oct 2011.

Tags:
  1. Read

Read New Member

2. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Very interesting, thank you.

Alan

3. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Indeed, very interesting -some nice photos and it's fascinating looking at the values of the projects.

4. NikonUser58

NikonUser58 Member

Very new to this forum and this is an interesting article, thank you.
    On a side note I see they have used (stolen) my picture of a rhino on the Tsavo Rhino House article from my Flickr photostream, not too bothered but I wish they had asked first.

5. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

That's one of the drawbacks of using a public sharing site and not specifying your copyright on the images - flickr has clear terms of use of images posted there basically allowing them to do what they like with them.

Usually CZ tend to acknowledge photographers - was it on the zoos flickr site?

6. NikonUser58

NikonUser58 Member

I'm not bothered by them using it, it's not like I'm going to refuse or ask money for it, it would be nice to have a link to the picture.
    I'm sure my pictures are being used without my permission all over the world in one way or another, at least when Chester Zoo use them they ask first ..lol.

It's a real old one from my regular Flickr photostream - Flickr: Steve - wants a job at Chester Zoo's Photostream

7. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

A charity using photographs is one thing, but as soon as a commercial operation decides to "borrow" them, regardless of the source, they've a duty to recognise the photographer's copyright.

As an aside, I enjoyed looking at NikonUser58's images, particularly the ones where the backgrounds haven't been Photoshopped.

8. karoocheetah

I concur - I did go and have a nosey around your flickr stream too and you said on there that you have no problem with anyone taking and using your images as long as they don't profit from them - with a statement like that I'd expect to see your images popping up all over the place in truth - I won't put mine on Flickr as I don't like their terms and conditions, similar with Facebook, although I do put some but they are always copyrighted so I have a stronger legal standpoint (for what it's worth) - I did read in one of the photography mags that unless you categorically state your copyright stance (so is it totally free, open, fully copyrighted or limited) then you probably will have a battle on your hands contesting a misuse. But I digress, your flickr groups are great fun to look at and like SMR says there are some very nice images on there,

9. NikonUser58

NikonUser58 Member

Many thanks for your comments and taking the time to look at my Flickr Photostream, I do also sell some of my images via Shutterstock (the best) and Dreamstime, altough I don't have many on yet.

I hope to become a regular contributor of the forums over time now I have found this site, which is awesome by the way.

Thanks again

Steve

10. Mariebee

Mariebee Well-Known Member

I always thought that Chester Zoo had a policy that does not allow photographs of their animals to be used for commercial gain, yet Shutterstock are selling such photos..

Someone correct me if I am wrong please...

Last edited: 21 Oct 2011
  11. karoocheetah

I was lead to believe this too :)

12. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

Most animal collections have a sign somewhere close to the entrance saying that any photographs taken of or with any animals or of any property belonging to (which ever collection you are at) cannot be used for personal gain without the permission of the (name of collection).
    Anyone found to be doing so will be barred or prosecuted by (name of collection) without delay

surely this is quite clear to most people but I am yet to hear of any zoo or animal collection actually going ahead with this threat

EDIT
    I would also like to say nikonuser 58 your flickr page has some great photographs and thanks for sharing

13. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

There's a £520 fee if you want to undertake any commercial photography in Chester Zoo. Commercial photography is deemed to be anything that involves a detailed set-up, with models or lighting for example. There are also rules governing the sale of any photographs taken in the zoo, with the zoo prohibiting any sale for financial gain.