Join our zoo community

Photos and site performance

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Simon Hampel, 6 Jul 2010.

1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

To try and help with the performance and database problems we've been having on the site lately, I made a slight change to the way photos are displayed.

You shouldn't notice anything different - everything should still work exactly the same way, but just in case I missed something, please let me know if you see any photos or thumbnails that don't work (ie they don't display correctly).

Also, I would be interested to know if anyone feels the performance of the site is better, or much the same as it has been recently.

2. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

Should we use the 'report post' fuction if we see photos where either it or the thumbnail don't work? I usually make a comment on the photo if I see one where the thumbnail doesn't work, and thus leave it to the owner to fix it (it is easy) but I'm not sure if everyone knows how to do it or if everyone cares, for that matter.

3. Simon Hampel

Yes - please report faulty photos. Sometimes I can fix them, other times they just need to be deleted.

4. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

When I click on “Today’s Photos”, “Today’s Comments”, “New Photos” etc all seems to work fine.

However, when I click on “Find all gallery items uploaded by (member’s name)” I no longer get any photos displayed.

I’m not sure if this is just a coincidence or not, but this seemed to happen about the same time as you made this change.

5. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I have the same problem cannot see any thumb nails but can see the picture if I click on it.

6. Simon Hampel

Ahh - thanks for that ... it was indeed a bug. Should be fixed now.

Let me know if you find anything else which doesn't work!

7. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Working fine now; many thanks

8. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I don't know if this is a fault or anything, but when I try to post some photos it comes up with something like 'Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 50331648 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 8670695 bytes) in /hsphere/local/home/hampel/zoochat.com/gallery/image-inc.php on line 91'.

Not sure what this means. Is the photo too big? I wouldn't have though so since my camera is only 10mp, and I'm sure many of the professionals on here post photos with a higher mp.

Just wondered if anybody could help with this, and how I can get my photos into the gallery.

9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I just got the same thing trying to upload a photo. Tried it three times with same result each time. Then I saw it was still sitting in the "queue" but again same message when tried to upload it from there.

Message says:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 50331648 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 8383992 bytes) in /hsphere/local/home/hampel/zoochat.com/gallery/image-inc.php on line 91

10. Simon Hampel

This is a server problem and I will look into it, but in the meantime, I suggest you try resizing your photos before uploading them to see if that helps. I suggest no larger than 1600x1200.