Join our zoo community

Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens Photos needed of Kito Masai giraffe LAZoo 1981-2005

Discussion in 'United States' started by GiraffeGuy, 9 Jan 2021.

1. GiraffeGuy

GiraffeGuy Member

I'm doing an AZA approved research project on the genetics of spot-patterns of Masai giraffe and I very much need to get some photos of Kito who was at the LAZoo from 1981-2005 and sired a very large number of giraffe. I've exhaustively searched Flicker and other websites but have come up empty handed.

Westcoastperson likes this.
  2. Elena

Elena Well-Known Member

I located one on Getty Images of Kito with his daughter, Jamala:

ME.giraffe.1.KL.9/8/97––LOS ANGELES––Jamala, a female giraffe born to... News Photo - Getty Images

It's not a full body shot, but better than nothing.

Have you tried contacting the LA Zoo? They should have photos of him in their photo archive.

3. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

Elena mentioned LA zoo probably has photos and Los Angeles City or Historical Society most likely has pictures of the Giraffes that could include Kito in them.

4. GiraffeGuy

GiraffeGuy Member

Thanks for the advice. I do have some contacts with the LA Zoo and I'll follow up to see if they have a photo archives. BTW the Getty image photo is actually of Neema (mother) and Jamala. I have several good photos of Neema and matched up the spots on her neck. Jamala is now 23 years old and seems to be in good health at Safari West in Santa Rosa.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. Elena

Elena Well-Known Member

Good luck! Sounds like a nice research project.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.