Join our zoo community

Pinned threads

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by Ned, 22 Nov 2017.

1. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

When I go to the UK forum I have two threads pinned at the top of the list of threads. I don't know how they became pinned there but how do I unpin then?
    Thanks.

2. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They're not able to be unpinned unless down by a moderator. They're put there as they're thought to have importance within the forum and zoochat

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  3. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Exactly what STE said. The argument for both the threads is the same: they are a potentially valuable resource for forum users, and if they were to get lost deep in the subforum it would be a pity.

Brum likes this.
  4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

I think once I've had a chance to restructure things with the upcoming site upgrade - I may look at a more appropriate location for such resource threads which we don't want to lose amongst the other discussions.

Brum likes this.
  5. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Speaking of pinned threads what happened to the ZooChat Must Read thread? It was at the top of General Zoo Discussion but seems to have vanished! :confused:

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

To be more specific about that, they are threads which are resources (information threads) which are likely to be repeatedly accessed by members and (importantly) which are kept updated.

Some examples of threads which are stickied (pinned) include:

*Full regional lists for zoo animals (I think just in Australia and NZ because Europe doesn't need any due to Zootierliste and it probably wouldn't be possible for North America - although someone is welcome to try and do that!).

*Full regional lists of zoo facilities (in numerous countries - that's where the map thread in the UK forum comes in).

*Some country-specific resources such as the UK one for public transport for zoos.

*Some other "general" types of resource threads include the two in the General forum for travel threads (cataloguing Zoochat travel threads) and online zoo databases. A totally different example is in the Wildlife & Nature Conservation where the 2017 Big Year thread is stickied - it isn't a resource, but it is just easier to keep each year's thread at the top (in 2018 it will be un-stickied and replaced with the 2018 thread).

Most of the stickied threads are by moderators which is more coincidental than deliberate. It is just that a few of us like creating very detailed resource material relevent to the forum.

7. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I have a recollection that I unpinned that one several years ago because it wasn't resource material, it was just a random gathering of "this is a cool thread" ideas.

It is here, by the way: Must read Zoochat threads

Brum and savethelephant like this.
  8. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When is the site upgrade coming?