Join our zoo community

Pinzon Giant tortoise hatched in the wild

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by vogelcommando, 23 Jan 2015.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It has been a major step towards recovery of the population.

BTW: I was under the impression that the Santa Cruz Center has a small adult breeding population of Pinzon giant tortoise. Perhaps someone else can elaborate?

Further: there is one lone Pinzon giant at Praha Zoo. My sincere hope would be that this excellent reptile collection one day may see some Pinzon giant tortoises from the Galapagos to start a breeding group.

It would be nice to see the Galapagos Conservancy acknowledge AND recognize the importance of assurance colonies elsewhere and that cooperation may also take the form of a quid pro quo / vice versa movement.

A good example of how zoos have cooperated with GC is the transfer of the lone remaining Espanola giant tortoise male they owned back to the Santa Cruz center to establish a breeding colony of the last remaining 3.12 Espanola giant tortoise on Earth. Aside, quite a number of zoos in the US/AZA realm (f.i. Houston and Omaha) and in Europe (a.o. Zuerich) support the Galapagos Conservancy both in funding and indirect aid by provision of herptile experts for surveys, island restoration and captive-breeding work.