Join our zoo community

Pittas in captivity

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by GerbenElzinga, 28 Jul 2017.

Tags:
  1. GerbenElzinga

GerbenElzinga Well-Known Member

Following suit on our previous threads I have been working on a list for another family of wonderful birds in captivity, namely Pittas (thanks to @LaughingDove for the idea!).

A couple thoughts beforehand:
    1)
    Because we had to draw the line somewhere, we decided to use no information older than 5 years (so only things posted from 2012 onwards) upon making this list; we did this to keep the list as accurate and up-to-date as possible.
    2) To make this list we used information from zootierliste, zoochat, visits to the respective zoos, and occasionally other sources (facebook pages of the collections, visits of friends to the respective zoos, etc.)
    3) There are probably some more pittas in less-visited collections, but it is very hard to find a lot of information about them online.
    4) Anyone is more than welcome to mention things that need to be altered/updated on this list!

PITTAS IN CAPTIVITY

Pitta
    Rainbow pitta, Pitta iris (1)

OCEANIA:
    Australia Zoo (x,x)

Banded pitta, Pitta guajana (2)

EUROPE:
    Waddesdon (x,x)

ASIA:
    Bali Bird Park (x,x)

Blue-winged pitta, Pitta moluccensis (6)

EUROPE:
    Vorobji (x,x)
    Vienna (2,2)
    Walsrode (x,x)

ASIA:
    Jurong (x,x)
    Penang Bird Park (x,x)
    Taiping (x,x)

Hooded pitta, Pitta sordida (13)
    EUROPE:
    Arnhem(x,x) mulleri
    London (0,2) mulleri
    Paignton (x,x) mulleri
    Prague (1,0) mulleri
    Trinity (x,x) mulleri
    Waddesdon (x,x) mulleri
    Wuppertal (x,x) mulleri

NORTH AMERICA:
    Colombus (x,x)
    Detroit (x,x)
    Memphis (x,x)
    Miami (x,x)
    San Diego Zoo (x,x)

ASIA:
    Jurong (x,x)

Noisy pitta, Pitta versicolor (2)
    OCEANIA:
    Adelaide (x,x)
    Taronga Zoo (x,x)

devilfish and LaughingDove like this.
  2. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Honolulu still has 0.1 hooded pita to my knowledge.

GerbenElzinga likes this.
  3. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The San Diego Zoo also holds this species.
    Miami (1,1)
    National Aviary (x,x)

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Australia Zoo hasn't had Rainbow Pittas for at least six or seven years. (I know they are listed on their website as "currently on display" but their website is rubbish). The last ZAA facility to hold them was the Territory Wildlife Park and that was a couple of years ago. They are kept in private aviculture so are probably in some non-ZAA parks but I don't have data for those.

Noisy Pittas are at Adelaide, Australia Zoo, Australian Reptile Park, Ballarat, Cairns Wildlife Dome, Currumbin, Darling Downs, Featherdale, Gorge, Hunter Valley, Melbourne, National Zoo, Taronga, WILDLIFE Sydney, and Wildlife Habitat. Those are just the ZAA collections.

5. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

6. vogelcommando

And a VERY old note about the breeding of the Hooded pitta at Cleres ( France ) :

Notes on the small birds in the Tropical House at Clères. July, 1933. (Series IV), Vol. XI, 179 - 181.

'Although many species of Pittas have been introduced into Europe during the last twenty years... none had so far bred or even nested in captivity'.

'... it is almost impossible to keep two together, even in a large aviary and cock and hen of the same species, and this has been the principle obstacle to their breeding in confinement'.

'In the early spring of 1933, however, I succeeded in keeping together two Hooded Pittas Pitta cucullata. A species which is often imported from India ...'

'Both parents fed the chicks mostly on cut-up Bullock's heart, with meal-worms, a few earth-worms and insectile mixture... On 24th May one young one disappeared and was never found.

'...the growth of the youngsters was very quick. They came out more and more on the platform now, so much so that on the 31st one was out of the nest flying well enough. The weaker one also came out, but ... was drowned on 5th June, after having been flying well for several days. Both parents fed the remaining young bird devotedly, and did not abandon and bully it as I had feared, as the mother had started laying again in the old nest on the 31st, while the cock began another nest, further away ... the hen laid every day, as many as ten eggs, by 12th Jnne. She insisted on laying in the old nest, and all but one egg dropped on the ground ... The cock had by then completed the new nest and would not go to the old one again. The birds were not sitting. On 13th June I removed the old nest and put eight eggs into the new one (I thought ten were too many). Very docile, the hen went to the new nest and incubation started immediately. Two eggs, probably addled, were rejected after a few days. At the same time, both parents continued feeding their first young, now quite strong, and eating also by himself since 12th June. However, on the 21st, I took him by hand (he is very tame) and removed him into another compartment, where he now lives happily.'

'On 23rd June the head of a chick was observed, and four the following day. At once a platform was built in front of the nest.

'On 11th July, on my return from the Ornithological Congress at Oxford, the four young Pittas were out of the nest, and they all have been fully reared.

'But we now come to the sad end of the story, and we shall see that, like the Thrushes, Pittas have the most wicked and puzzling temper.

'As soon as the young ones had left the nest, the cock Pitta, whose plumage, and especially the quills, were in a very worn state, started at once building another nest ... [which] by 15th July ... was almost completed. I noticed that day there was a fight between the two parents, but I thought it was only, as usual, an introduction to their mating, and paid little attention to it. The next day the hen was chasing the cock, who kept hidden most of the time, and I decided to keep a special watch... I went into the greenhouse every hour or so, to see how matters were going on; it was very much the same. But at the end of the day the male was found dead in the pond!

'... The hen has not laid up to now ... She carried on feeding the young ones and still is looking after them most devotedly to this day...'

Breeding the Hooded Pitta Pitta cucullata. September, 1934. (Series IV), Vol. XII, 222 - 226.

7. vogelcommando

8. GerbenElzinga

GerbenElzinga Well-Known Member

@Hyak_II & @jayjds2, thanks, they're added to the list.

@Chlidonias, ah, didn't know that about the website of Australia Zoo. As for the noisy pitta, that's quite a list of zoos I left out. They're all added to the list!

@vogelcommando, that are some interesting articles you found there, nice to read!

I've updated the pitta list as there were already quite some (big) changes. I've also made a small list of rare species that were kept not too long ago.

PITTAS IN CAPTIVITY
    Banded pitta, Pitta guajana (2)

EUROPE:
    Waddesdon (x,x)

ASIA:
    Bali Bird Park (x,x)

Blue-winged pitta, Pitta moluccensis (7)

EUROPE:
    Vorobji (x,x)
    Vienna (2,2)
    Walsrode (x,x)

NORTH AMERICA:
    San Diego Zoo (x,x)

ASIA:
    Jurong (x,x)
    Penang Bird Park (x,x)
    Taiping (x,x)

Hooded pitta, Pitta sordida (15)
    EUROPE:
    Arnhem(0,0,1) mulleri
    London (0,2) mulleri
    Paignton (x,x) mulleri
    Prague (1,0) mulleri
    Trinity (x,x) mulleri
    Waddesdon (x,x) mulleri
    Wuppertal (x,x) mulleri

NORTH AMERICA:
    Colombus (x,x)
    Detroit (x,x)
    Memphis (x,x)
    Miami (1,1)
    National Aviary (x,x)
    San Diego Zoo (x,x)

ASIA:
    Jurong (x,x)

OCEANIA:
    Honolulu (x,x)

Noisy pitta, Pitta versicolor (15)
    OCEANIA:
    Adelaide (x,x)
    Australia Zoo (x,x)
    Australia Reptile Zoo (x,x)
    Ballarat (x,x)
    Cairns WD (x,x)
    Currumbin (x,x)
    Darling Downs (x,x)
    Featherdale (x,x)
    Gorge WP (x,x)
    Hunter Valley (x,x)
    Melbourne (x,x)
    National Zoo (x,x)
    Taronga Zoo (x,x)
    Wildlife Sidney (x,x)
    Wildlife Habitat (x,x)

PITTAS FORMERLY IN CAPTIVITY
    Pitta
    Indian pitta, Pitta brachyura (1)

ASIA:
    Dehiwala Zoo (x,x) (2008)

Banded pitta, Pitta guajana (1)
    EUROPE:
    Walsrode (x,x) guajana (2013)

Rainbow pitta, Pitta iris (2)
    OCEANIA:
    Australia Zoo (x,x) (2010)
    Crocosaurus Cove (x,x) (2008)

Last edited: 29 Jul 2017
  9. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hooded pitta in Arnhem are down to 1 individual, which is a pity, as until a few years ago they had several breeding pairs...

10. d1am0ndback

d1am0ndback Well-Known Member

The Tulsa zoo also holds (x,x) hooded pitta, with some on exhibit in the conservation center.

11. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

where did the info for Crocosaurus Cove come from? They only opened in 2008 and I don't think they ever had birds. (They may have done, but it's an indoor reptile collection so it seems to be outside their scope).

12. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

KL bird park also had blue-winged pittas when I visited in 2013, and Jurong's hooded pittas are of ssp. cucullata - as was Dusit's but I didn't see Dusit's bird last year.

For the 'former' list:

Walsrode also held giant pitta, and Pata Zoo (Bangkok) had a mangrove pitta on display until 2013. Shanghai appears to have had a fairy pitta photographed in recent years by @alexkant but I've not heard from anyone who's seen it recently.(http://zooinstitutes.com/animalpic.asp?name=16149 - was this a 2012 photo, Alex?)

Last edited: 30 Jul 2017
  13. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Kochi zoo seems to have fairy pitta but are put off display because of "physical condition"(I just translate it with Google translate)

14. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Milwaukee County Zoo has Hooded Pittas behind the scenes.

15. vogelcommando

Took the time to make a little list of species I've taken care for ( all at Vogelpark Walsrode ) :

-Javan banded pitta - Pitta guajanus
    -Hooded pitta - Pitta sordida
    -Blue-winged pitta - Pitta moluccensis
    -Indian pitta - Pitta brachyura
    -Giant pitta - Pitta caeruleus
    -Eared pitta - Pitta phayrei

Took care of these in the period 1986 - 1989 and they were kept in a number of different enclosures in the Tropical House, the Loriatrium and behind the scenes.

Collegue keepers also told me that befor that period also other species were kept at Walsrode of which the Granat pitta - Pitta granatina and the Gurney's pitta - Pitta gurneyi are the most mentionworth !

16. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As a matter of fact Arnhem has no hooded pittas anymore.